• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Pressed Steel Tank Co goes under.

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 20 February 2006 - 07:29 AM

I've got a few DIN regs with some pretty slick SCUBAPRO DIN-to-Yoke adapters attached....... in 2 seconds I can switch one of these regs from DIN to Yoke or vice-versa, I'd recommend you go that route to achieve the flexibility to deal with any tank you encounter.

Karl

I do this too, and when I was selling gear, I only ordered DIN regs and yoke adapters to sell. One thing to consider, most DIN regs with an adapter attached will stick out a little more to the back of your head if you're using on a single tank on your back. Depending on tank size, location... etc., you might bump your head a little more easily. This has not been a problem for me and I like the flexibility of all my regs being usable for both applications. I have heard some people whine about the reduced space behind the head to a reg though. :flirt:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#17 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:29 AM

...well, for starters, they come standard with dual-convertible Yoke-DIN tank valves, you are free to use either a DIN or Yoke 1st stage as you wish, then ask yourself a few questions:

--will you be in an overhead environment, if 'YES' definitely use a DIN 1st-stage.

-- what fill pressures can you achieve locally ?..... all the liveaboards I've done only do 3000 or so PSI fills, DIN isn't really needed in those conditions, unless you encounter an overhead environment.

-- if you fill tanks at the shop, then load the boat, you can likely obtain good 3500 psi or more fills, I'd likely opt for a DIN 1st stage.

-- what is the pressure rating of your Yoke attachment of your 1st stage ? ...the more modern your reg, the more likely it is to be rated for higher pressures...personally, if open-water recreationally diving, I'm fine using a recent modern Yoke 1st-stage up to about 3500 psi, just make sure the tank-to-reg O-ring is good, pressurize it and check for any leaks....remember the tank pressure will soon drop below 3500 psi anyway as the dive progresses. If you're really paranoid and worry about overloading your Yoke attachment with a HP fill, only pressurize your reg just before diving, to reduce the time-under-stress factor.

I've got a few DIN regs with some pretty slick SCUBAPRO DIN-to-Yoke adapters attached....... in 2 seconds I can switch one of these regs from DIN to Yoke or vice-versa, I'd recommend you go that route to achieve the flexibility to deal with any tank you encounter.

Karl

Well, I am not doing overhead environments. Just outside and around the wrecks. Why is this a factor?

Locally I can get a full 3500psi fill no problem. Nitrox, Tri -mix tec. My LDS is where alot of the serious/psycho wreck divers go for equipment, fills, etc. He just wants almost $400 for a steel HP 100. Ouch.

My first stage is relatively new so it is probably good to go but I will check with my LDS. Ralph has my regs right now doing an adjustment on them so I will ask him when I see him.

If it looks like a problem, I'll just get a the converter for the first stage, DIN for wreck diving and switch over to the yoke when tropical diving in the craibbean where it's all AL80's.

Thanks for the reponse!

Edited by CaptSaaz, 21 February 2006 - 09:31 AM.

We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#18 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 February 2006 - 09:37 AM

I dive DIN on my primary tank and yoke on my pony (both Mk10/G250's). If I'm travelling I take my DIN-to-yoke adaptor, or convert my pony reg to a full set up. On my setup I have no problem with the added extension hitting my head but your mileage can easily vary. Both my primary tanks are DIN although I also have a yoke tank for guests.

Scubafanatic has already raised the issue of the pressure rating on your first stage.

#19 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 21 February 2006 - 10:05 AM

Well, I am not doing overhead environments. Just outside and around the wrecks. Why is this a factor?

Locally I can get a full 3500psi fill no problem. Nitrox, Tri -mix tec. My LDS is where alot of the serious/psycho wreck divers go for equipment, fills, etc. He just wants almost $400 for a steel HP 100. Ouch.

A DIN connection produces a captured seal, much more secure especially under the higher pressures. When an o-ring blows, it is usually accompanying extrusion past the "sealing surfaces", more likely to happen with yoke connection since it does not provide the same degree of "seal" on the O-ring and may allow some "wobble" in the connection changing the "sealing clearance". At the pressures you are using (3500 PSI), you must be using large volumes of gas for a reason ie deep or potentially "deco" diving. Securing that supply of gas will insure you don't have to miss a "safety stop" due to escaping air due to a blown O-ring at the end of a dive.

It comes down to this... what is your life worth? People spend lots of money on lots of things, and I DO recommend diving insurance. Consider this another form of diving insurance, one you only pay for "once" and may prevent having to USE the other. ;)

ITB... :banghead:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#20 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 21 February 2006 - 07:54 PM

Just to add a bit more...
1)it is much easier to own DIN and add a yoke adapter when needed
2)by going with DIN your using a type of connection that is rated for higher pressures.this can only be good.
3)cost the same when ordering regs new.
4)less damage to sealing o-ring then when attaching a yoke(think of everytime someone hooks up a yoke to fill your tank)
5)even though your not tech diving your already taking advantage of several tech inovations...bcd,alternate air scorce,spg to name a few.

plus what everyone else said

Eric

#21 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 24 February 2006 - 08:20 PM

I just wish the DINs were more popular. When I went to Bonaire and asked during the planning stage for DIN tanks, the response was "we don't allow tech diving here", from multiple resorts. Huh?

I like 'em 'cos it's MY o-ring, and I take better care of my reg than folks do with rental tank o-rings. At the minimal cost, I replace my DIN o-ring before every use, which ends up being once a year or so. I've had probably 10% of the tanks I rent have leaky o-rings, or rubber that was so hard it was difficult to get a seal.

We just gotta start insisting that dive operators handle OUR gear, as well as the cheap stuff. They won't change if they don't feel a pinch. I've called and e-mailed resorts asking if they have DIN or convertible tanks, and replied "thanks anyways" when they said no. That's the easy way to let 'em know that they're losing business. Since resorts & rental shops probably account for 95-99% of the tanks bought, they're the driving force in the industry. Beat 'em up!

#22 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 25 February 2006 - 02:50 PM

Soem good thoughts and suggestions put forth here. I am going to look into making my reg setup for DIN and just use a yoke adapter for resort travel.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users