• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Who Plants a Garden Nowadays ???

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 02 March 2006 - 10:04 AM

Last year I tried a container garden which was empty 5 gal bucks filled with soil and then I planted some tomatoes, radishes, etc... It failed Big Time so it was just another sacrafice of plants to the Sun Gods.

I'm guessin that the 5 gal buckets did not give the tomato plant's roots enough room to really grow well.

I will pile up all the leaves from the fall in the garden area, along with twigs and limbs that end up in the yard. Burn most of them and till that into the soil of the garden. And if the weather is too windy or rainy to allow burning, they get tilled in as is. After 4 years of doing this, the soil was black when wet and after 7 years, it was black all the time. I've never tested the PH or anything. But anything that gets withing 2' of that soil grows!

A few quick tips. Look at when to plant certan things. Peas like cooler weather and can be planted early. And when you are done with them, throw in your radishes or other quick growing veg. Lettuce likes a little shade. A good one to plant to the North and East of your corn. Use your grass clippings between the plants to help keep weeds down. Don't pile fresh clippings against your plants as the amonia produced druing break down can harm and kill the desired plants as well as the weeds.

Donny, by all means, please list those plants that help keep away the pesky animals.

This year, having moved into a new place, I am going to plant a spcial garden to keep these little guys and gals happy. (see images)

P8310201.jpg P8310198.jpg
Sorry for the blur, these were taken through a screen door.
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#17 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:45 AM

Making a list of plants to drive pests away isn't that simple because just like people animals have different tastes in different areas, but here are some to help out.
Marigolds around tomatoes will help drive off the nematodes that are the bane of tomatoes, Some people claim they help with deer too, but I have had deer eat the marigolds.
Pepermint will help drive away rodents.
Several strong smelling herbs will help keep deer at bay. My favorite is thyme, because it is very resistant to foot traffic and grows about anywhere under poor conditions. You can even cook with it.
As far as a vegetable garden, I have had great luck with those things that have a motion sensor and when hooked to a garden hose will shoot a blast of water at anything coming into your garden. For me this was almost 100% effective with deer.
Birds will get used to anything that is not moving in the garden so the inflatable owls and such work best when about every other day you move them to a new location. Another good way to deal with birds is take some of those pesky AOL free trial cd's and tie them to a pole and let them flutter in the wind.
One of my favorite plants to keep pests at bay is the Heirloom rose bushes with big gnarly thorns. When planted outside a teenager's bedroom they tend to keep the teenagers both in and out of the bedroom.
I think every state has a master gardener program and the best suggestion is get one of their phone numbers that live by you and call them if you have a problem. They are required to do several hours of community service each year to pay back the state for their training a lot of time and even when they are not most of the time they will be glad to help.
Help anyone?
Donny

Edited by mechanical31, 02 March 2006 - 11:46 AM.

I'mA riddle so strong, you can't break me.
Alice in Chains

#18 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 02 March 2006 - 12:26 PM

"Marigolds around tomatoes will help drive off the nematodes that are the bane of tomatoes, Some people claim they help with deer too, but I have had deer eat the marigolds."

Marigolds do work well for the insects but where I am now the rabbits eat them before the deer get a chance. I have yet to figure out what is eating my gooseberries from under the bird net.

I think I need to plant catnip to bring in the bobcats and cougars to take care of the rabbits and deer.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#19 ddierolf

ddierolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  • Cert Level:Padi Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 02 March 2006 - 02:02 PM

I planted a large garden the 1st year after building my house here, it seemed only natural living in Amish country, but I didn't have near enough time to keep after the weeds and take proper care of it. I had several rows of sweet corn, tomatoes, lots of hot peppers, I still have a freezer door full of them. Cucumbers, lettuce, have a few fruit trees, beans. Made the garden much smaller now, still don't have propper time to take care of it, but can't beat the fresh veggies and fruit!

Which end is up?

#20 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 02 March 2006 - 05:50 PM

I had a garden untill the cops found it :-D
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#21 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:02 PM

I think I need to plant catnip to bring in the bobcats and cougars to take care of the rabbits and deer.

Hey, that's just the food chain at work. Sounds like a plan.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#22 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 02 March 2006 - 11:03 PM

I had a garden untill the cops found it :evilgrin:

And you haven't replanted???????
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#23 DiveCandy

DiveCandy

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:30 AM

Gardener here. My whole backyard is a garden - there is an herb, cutting, and water garden inbetween tropicals, lime tree, avocado tree, tomatoes, lettuce, and peppers.

Really Jill? I didn't know that about you...very cool! If you ever need any help with a bumper crop of avacados I'll be glad to assist. :cool2:

Used to have a garden with a several varieties of tomatoes and peppers (bananas, chili, yellow..you name it), squash and onions. My yard now is too shady for that but every spring the urge to plant still hits me. This year I have started moonflowers and morning glories to teach my 2 year old niece the lovely silence of growing things. Mostly I think she likes playing in the dirt...just like Aunt Kerry.

I am also growing loofahs this year in the sunny part of my yard. Some people eat the squash when it is very young and tender but I let it stay on the vines until it dries. If I get a good crop I will use the sponges to put in gift baskets with my homemade soaps for holiday presents this winter.

Very interesting to see how many other SDers like to garden, too.

#24 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 04 March 2006 - 11:35 AM

Gardener here. My whole backyard is a garden - there is an herb, cutting, and water garden inbetween tropicals, lime tree, avocado tree, tomatoes, lettuce, and peppers.

Really Jill? I didn't know that about you...very cool! If you ever need any help with a bumper crop of avacados I'll be glad to assist. :cool2:

Used to have a garden with a several varieties of tomatoes and peppers (bananas, chili, yellow..you name it), squash and onions. My yard now is too shady for that but every spring the urge to plant still hits me. This year I have started moonflowers and morning glories to teach my 2 year old niece the lovely silence of growing things. Mostly I think she likes playing in the dirt...just like Aunt Kerry.

I am also growing loofahs this year in the sunny part of my yard. Some people eat the squash when it is very young and tender but I let it stay on the vines until it dries. If I get a good crop I will use the sponges to put in gift baskets with my homemade soaps for holiday presents this winter.

Very interesting to see how many other SDers like to garden, too.

I will p/m you my address to make sure MY basket gets here!!! :D
Known puker

#25 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:05 PM

Hey Bubski!

I'm working on my 2006 garden, well, not right this second!

but, I"m planting 3 or 4 varieties of tomato, brussels sprouts, spinach, celantro, chives, parsley, peppers, basil, rosemary

I can't wait to have a bunch of fresh veggies!

#26 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:19 PM

Hey Bubski!

but, I"m planting 3 or 4 varieties of tomato, brussels sprouts, spinach, celantro, chives, parsley, peppers, basil, rosemary

that doesnt sound like the kind of garden blacktar had..... :lmao:

#27 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 08 March 2006 - 09:34 PM

well iam not what you would call a gardener. i have a reasonable herb garden at home but i have 50 hectares down in the south west of western australia and i grow trees. so my backround is in forestry rather than hortaculture. whilst i know a lot about growing trees i still can't grow a decent lawn. :lmao: if anyone needs help in that regard let me know. :-D

#28 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 08 March 2006 - 11:27 PM

Hey Bubski!

that doesnt sound like the kind of garden blacktar had..... :lmao:

OMG!! :-D

#29 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:29 PM

Well Kimmy and Friends

Here is the grand total of my gardening efforts this year.

about 3 dozen tomatoes.
a handful of yellow squash and zuccinni.
greenbeans failed Big time! saw about 5 beans all together.
Who stoled my watermelons ??? didnt even see a sprout come-up.
potatoe plants did OK but they never got bigger than golfballs?

All in All what I didnt pay attention to and water the drought got. I think I need to let the leaves mulch alittle more before I plant next time. It was worth the little effort I put into it tho. cant wait to sacrifice some more plants to the Sun Gods next year :usflag:

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#30 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 September 2006 - 06:31 PM

I am one whose brown thumb allows me to kill even such hardly plants as prickley pear cactus! Even I find that rather amusing since I'm supposed to be a biologist... maybe I should plant those cacti underwater (I have on occasion seen one down under... and I'm not referring to Australia!).

Edited by drbill, 11 September 2006 - 10:34 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users