• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Who Plants a Garden Nowadays ???

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#31 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 10 September 2006 - 07:08 PM

I am also growing loofahs this year in the sunny part of my yard.

???? Isn't that something women use in the shower? I didn't know they were grown! :unsure:
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#32 C-Food

C-Food

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Cert Level:in training (beginner)

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:25 AM

I am also growing loofahs this year in the sunny part of my yard.

???? Isn't that something women use in the shower? I didn't know they were grown! :unsure:

Yes, I've been told that men use them in the shower too! (Unlike sponges)Loofahs are made from a type of gourd which you can grow in your garden!

#33 C-Food

C-Food

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
  • Cert Level:in training (beginner)

Posted 13 September 2006 - 08:35 AM

I am an avid gardener! I can't wait to get my hands in the dirt and plant stuff! In the past I have had some amazing herb gardens, and right now it's a mixed bag of everything: Tomatoes, cucumber, sweet banana peppers, bell peppers, figs, blackberries, raspberries, strawberries, 4 varieties of mints, stevia, bee balm, lemon balm, lemon verbena, gourds, plumaria, passionflower, roses, bridal wreath, iris, pecans (OK, the squirrels planted these - I'm just helping them grow into trees!), 3 varieties of Japanese maples, a Chinese Sapphire Dragon tree, and my grandmother's African Violets (too many to count, and those are all inside!).

The water garden I started is in it's infancy - I'm experimenting with the area I want to put it in permanently. No Koi yet, but a few water hyacynths are in there, and I've been successful in not breeding mosquitoes this year! All in all, not a bad year in the garden. . .the Texas drought has been a little harder on stuff this year and I had to water most of the plants twice a day. I've already been planning next year! I usually spend the winter months planning next years garden and I love getting seed catalogs to read when it's too cold to garden! Guess I'm hopeless (LOL)!!

#34 mechanical31

mechanical31

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:40

Posted 03 October 2006 - 01:46 PM

Well Kimmy and Friends

Here is the grand total of my gardening efforts this year.

about 3 dozen tomatoes.
a handful of yellow squash and zuccinni.
greenbeans failed Big time! saw about 5 beans all together.
Who stoled my watermelons ??? didnt even see a sprout come-up.
potatoe plants did OK but they never got bigger than golfballs?

All in All what I didnt pay attention to and water the drought got. I think I need to let the leaves mulch alittle more before I plant next time. It was worth the little effort I put into it tho. cant wait to sacrifice some more plants to the Sun Gods next year :teeth:

B2B

Sounds by the lack of fruit development that your soil is low in phosphorus. Try adding some bone meal just as everything starts to flower I'll bet you get much better results.
I'mA riddle so strong, you can't break me.
Alice in Chains

#35 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 11 October 2006 - 09:15 AM

My garden over a number of stages...

Posted Image
My garden at the start was initially bare grass which died off in summer.
I got in a rotary hoe and cleared it up.

Posted Image
I then put in some beds and planted them out with ground covers and small shrubs
(eg Eremophila and Callistemon.)
Mulch was also put down as was a reticulation system.

Posted Image
It has grown further... I need to do a bit of weeding and decide what to put down on the path....

I also need to take a more recent pic... the last one is at least a year old.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users