• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Recipes - good eats!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 28 March 2006 - 12:11 AM

Spring makes me want to cook! Gearing up to head to the islands, I thought a Caribbean flavored recipe would be just perfect!

Coconut Shrimp

Ingredients
12 raw shrimp - you want the largest of the kind you choose
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp dried unsweetened shreaded coconut
2/3 cup chopped fresh chives
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
salt and ground black pepper for sasoning
oil for frying
lime or lemon wedges for garnish

1. Peel and devein the shrimp - leave the tails intact, then deepen the incision so the shrimp can be splayed open. Rinse the shrimp under cold water and pat dry.

2. Mix the garlic and lemon juice with a little seasoning in a shallow dish, then add the shrimp. Toss to coat, cover and marinate for about 1 hour.

3. Mix the coconut and chives in a seperate shallow dish, and put the milk and eggs in two small bowls. Dip each shrimp into the milk, then into the beaten eggs and finally into the coconut and chive mixture.

4. Heat the oil in a large pan ir deepfryer and fry the prawns for about 1 minute, until golden. Lift out and drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot, garnished with lime or lemon wedges and parsley.

Super easy!

Did you know some seafood is better to eat than others? Your seafood choices make a difference! Buy seafood from sustainable sources and check out the Seafood Watch to download the best Guide for your area.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 28 March 2006 - 08:48 PM

Sounds Yummie Nicolle!

If you cook it for us someday I will even do the dishes afterwards PROMISE :P

Thanks for the Cool Link to Seafood Watch!!!

B2B
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#3 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:28 PM

----OLD DRUM

-drumfish
-irish potatoes
-salt pork
-onions
-eggs

boil both potatoes and drum separatly. cube saltpork "small" and cook down till crispy adding onions. boil and slice eggs. handmash potatoes, cover with boiled drum and eggs. spoon crisps and onions on top and enjoy! Guarenteed to make a heart doctor groan!

#4 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 28 March 2006 - 09:59 PM

Ask Nicolle - I have almost 100 cookbooks and suscribe to Bon Appetit... Too many recipes to list plus I use them more as guidelines than recipes. Baking is a whole different matter and the recipe must be followed to the tee as it is more of a science than a recipe. Took Nicolle months to get my mushroom risotto guideline out of me... :cool2:

#5 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 28 March 2006 - 10:42 PM

Spring makes me want to cook! Gearing up to head to the islands, I thought a Caribbean flavored recipe would be just perfect!

Coconut Shrimp

Ingredients
12 raw shrimp - you want the largest of the kind you choose
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp dried unsweetened shreaded coconut
2/3 cup chopped fresh chives
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
salt and ground black pepper for sasoning
oil for frying
lime or lemon wedges for garnish

1. Peel and devein the shrimp - leave the tails intact, then deepen the incision so the shrimp can be splayed open. Rinse the shrimp under cold water and pat dry.

2. Mix the garlic and lemon juice with a little seasoning in a shallow dish, then add the shrimp. Toss to coat, cover and marinate for about 1 hour.

3. Mix the coconut and chives in a seperate shallow dish, and put the milk and eggs in two small bowls. Dip each shrimp into the milk, then into the beaten eggs and finally into the coconut and chive mixture.

4. Heat the oil in a large pan ir deepfryer and fry the prawns for about 1 minute, until golden. Lift out and drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot, garnished with lime or lemon wedges and parsley.

Super easy!

Did you know some seafood is better to eat than others? Your seafood choices make a difference! Buy seafood from sustainable sources and check out the Seafood Watch to download the best Guide for your area.

WOW!!! Tech diver and good recipes too??? I bet you can cook em too? I hate to sound sexist, but I'm really impressed! Could use just a touch of jalepeno in there somewhere though! My marina restaurant has shrimp and creamcheese stuffed jalepenos and they would be even more awsome combined with some of that coconut mix. Wow! :cool2:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 28 March 2006 - 11:00 PM

Ask Nicolle - I have almost 100 cookbooks and suscribe to Bon Appetit... Too many recipes to list plus I use them more as guidelines than recipes. Baking is a whole different matter and the recipe must be followed to the tee as it is more of a science than a recipe. Took Nicolle months to get my mushroom risotto guideline out of me... :cool2:

I bow to the cooking goddess. dive_addict and I just watched her cook while drinking lots of wine! We were plucky comic relief though, right cmt 489!! right!!?? :D

And intheblue you are far too kind!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:12 PM

The best plucky comic relief a girl could ask for! :diver:

#8 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 29 March 2006 - 12:53 PM

Just so you don't think us guys can't cook. Here is one of my favorite recipes for the summer.

Margarita Pie :D :D

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups pretzels, finely crushed
1-1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 lime, zested (outer green part grated off)
1/2 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp gold tequila
2 Tbsp Triple sec
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 drops green food coloring (optional)
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped

Instructions
In a medium bowl place the crushed pretzels, sugar, and melted butter. Mix the ingredients together well and press them into a 9-inch buttered pie pan. Chill the crust in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

In another medium bowl place the lime zest, lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, tequila, and triple sec. Mix the ingredients together.

Fold in the 1 cup of heavy cream, whipped, and the green food coloring. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Freeze the pie for 4 hours.

Scott

:diver:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#9 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

The hell with the happy hours, we need a SingleDivers covered dish dinner!
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#10 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 29 March 2006 - 04:41 PM

Here is another good one...

Key West Black Beans

1 lb dry black beans
2 large onions
2 bell peppers
6-12 toes of garlic (dep on taste - guess what I put in :diver: )
1/3-2/3 cup of olive oil (original Cuban recipe was 2/3 cup but I have cut to 1/3 and can tell no difference)
2 bay leaves
salt to taste
black pepper to taste
cayenne pepper to taste
a few shakes of tabasco (if desired - I usually don't do this)
smoked sausage (if desired)

Secret ingredients to be added at end:
1 T white vinegar
1 T sugar

Wash and pick through the beans to get rid of rocks/dirt/etc. Place cleaned beans in large covered bean pot/pan and cover with 1 in of water. Add 1 T of salt. Bring to boil. As soon as they come to a boil, cover the beans and take off the burner to sit for 1 hour. At the end of the hour, drain, rinse with cold water, barely cover with cold water, then return to the burner again.

While the beans soak, chop the vegetables. You can cheat and simply throw the onions, garlic, and bell peppers in a food processor and let it make a vegetable slurry. Otherwise, just chop to pretty small pieces.

Once beans have started boiling, add the vegetable mixture, olive oil, bay leaves, about 1 t of salt, 1/4 t black pepper, and 1/4 t cayenne. Stir it up, cover, and let cook till the beans are soft enough to eat. If you want smoked saugage in the beans, cut into about 2 inch segments, add to beans, and let heat through about 20-30 minutes. Taste and add more salt and pepper if necessary AFTER the sausage have been added.

Take beans off burner, remove bay leaves, and add the 2 secret ingredients and stir. Serve on steamed rice with good bread and a nice salad.

Edited by lgrahamtx, 30 March 2006 - 07:36 AM.

Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#11 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:07 PM

Just so you don't think us guys can't cook. Here is one of my favorite recipes for the summer.

Margarita Pie :D :wub:

Ingredients
1-1/2 cups pretzels, finely crushed
1-1/3 cups sugar
1/2 cup butter, melted
1 lime, zested (outer green part grated off)
1/2 cup lime juice, freshly squeezed
One 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp gold tequila
2 Tbsp Triple sec
1 cup heavy cream, whipped
2 drops green food coloring (optional)
1/2 cup heavy cream, whipped

Instructions
In a medium bowl place the crushed pretzels, sugar, and melted butter. Mix the ingredients together well and press them into a 9-inch buttered pie pan. Chill the crust in the refrigerator for 1 hour.

In another medium bowl place the lime zest, lime juice, sweetened condensed milk, tequila, and triple sec. Mix the ingredients together.

Fold in the 1 cup of heavy cream, whipped, and the green food coloring. Pour the mixture into the pie crust. Freeze the pie for 4 hours.

Scott

:D

Scott..................HOW YOU DOIN????? :diver:
Known puker

#12 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:11 PM

Margarita Pie :D :D

Scott

:bam:

Scott..................HOW YOU DOIN????? :)

The thing to remember about this recipe is that you can increase or decrease (yeah right) the amount of alcohol to your taste... :taz:

Scott

:bam:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#13 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:14 PM

Margarita Pie :taz: :bam:

Scott

:)

Do you think you could share this with the cook on the Turks and Caicos Explorer? Sounds very good.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#14 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:39 PM

Margarita Pie :bam: :bam:

Scott

:)

Do you think you could share this with the cook on the Turks and Caicos Explorer? Sounds very good.

Sure no problem.

Scott

:taz:
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 05:45 PM

lgrahamtx, Key West Black Beans recipe :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users