• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Recipes - good eats!

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#16 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 29 March 2006 - 06:19 PM

Here is another good one...

Key West Black Beans

If we gather at your place before the Flower Gardens trip in July, you are going to have to make this dish!
-Mitch-

#17 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 29 March 2006 - 07:37 PM

Here is another good one...

Key West Black Beans

If we gather at your place before the Flower Gardens trip in July, you are going to have to make this dish!

No problem. It doubles even triples easily.

Also, the recipe comes from my daughter's Cuban great-grandmother - straight from the source.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#18 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:01 PM

Well it is said that breakfast is one of the five most important meals of the day

So my contibution is as follows...
1 cup diced veggies(assorted peppers,assoerted onions,mushrooms ect)
2 cups of hash browns
6oz of chicken or beef(this is pre cooked then diced up
3 free range eggs

Get the skillet hot then add the veggies and hashbrown(mixed togather)Turn over as needed.When after the last flip sprinkle on the meat and crack the 3 eggs.No more flipping,wait till eggs are done and serve.This feeds one so multiply as needed.

A great in between dive snack is...
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can milk
2 large handfulls of seashell pasta
2 large handfulls of mixed frozen veggies
I like to add chunks of BBQ chicken

Eric

#19 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:46 PM

6gill, I've made variations of mushroom soup, pasta, and chicken in college and still do from time to time! Yum! I add a lot more spice now too.

I made a great Caribbean feel dish over the weekend:

1 cup jasmine long grain rice
1 can lowfat coconut milk
20 raw medium shrimp
1-2 tbls Heavenly Chef Black Bean Sauce

Bring the can of coconut milk + water to make up 2 cups liquid to a boil in medium sauce pan. Add rice and keep at a boil for 5 minutes stirring frequently. Reduce heat to simmer, cover, and let cook for 15-20 minutes. While the rice is cooking, rinse and shell shrimp. Once the rice is cooked, remove from burner and let set for 5 minutes. During those five minutes, place shrimp and black bean sauce into a sautee/frying pan over medium heat. Cook shrimp until pink. Add rice to pan and mix togther. Add salt to taste.

Simply spicey, coconutty and yummy!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#20 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:36 PM

I made another fabulous fabulous Caribbean dish today:

Zesty Caribbean Chicken Breasts

1/4 c olive oil
1/4 c lemon juice
1 tbsp paprika
1 tbsp honey
1 tsp garlic salt
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp dried oregano leaves
1/4 tsp hot pepper sauce (I used more for a spicer dish!)
3-6 boneless chicken breasts

Combine all ingredients, except for the chicken. Mix well and then add chicken. Marinade in frig for 30 minutes (turning over half-wa) to 4 hours.

Either grill breasts 3-5 minutes on each side until chicken is no longer pink in center or bake in oven at 350 degrees for 20-35 minutes until chicken is no longer pink in center.

MMMMMMM mmmmmm good!!

If anyone tries the recipes posted here - let us know what you thought!!!

This one is good and quick and I was able to use my already stocked spice rack my parents got me for Christmas, so I'll bet many of you have the above spices in your cupboards!

Good luck! :lmao:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#21 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:11 AM

So do you deliver?

#22 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 April 2006 - 04:02 AM

Spring makes me want to cook! Gearing up to head to the islands, I thought a Caribbean flavored recipe would be just perfect!

Coconut Shrimp

Ingredients
12 raw shrimp - you want the largest of the kind you choose
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 tbsp lemon juice
4 tbsp dried unsweetened shreaded coconut
2/3 cup chopped fresh chives
2/3 cup milk
2 eggs, beaten
salt and ground black pepper for sasoning
oil for frying
lime or lemon wedges for garnish

1. Peel and devein the shrimp - leave the tails intact, then deepen the incision so the shrimp can be splayed open. Rinse the shrimp under cold water and pat dry.

2. Mix the garlic and lemon juice with a little seasoning in a shallow dish, then add the shrimp. Toss to coat, cover and marinate for about 1 hour.

3. Mix the coconut and chives in a seperate shallow dish, and put the milk and eggs in two small bowls. Dip each shrimp into the milk, then into the beaten eggs and finally into the coconut and chive mixture.

4. Heat the oil in a large pan ir deepfryer and fry the prawns for about 1 minute, until golden. Lift out and drain on kitchen paper. Serve hot, garnished with lime or lemon wedges and parsley.

Super easy!

Did you know some seafood is better to eat than others? Your seafood choices make a difference! Buy seafood from sustainable sources and check out the Seafood Watch to download the best Guide for your area.

WOW!!! Tech diver and good recipes too??? I bet you can cook em too? I hate to sound sexist, but I'm really impressed! Could use just a touch of jalepeno in there somewhere though! My marina restaurant has shrimp and creamcheese stuffed jalepenos and they would be even more awsome combined with some of that coconut mix. Wow! :lmao:

I was thinking the same thing as the resturant i work at has the same thing except for a with a mango salsa that is excellent with the shrimp.

Gent diver: now your making me hungry and its the wrong time of day to be getting this loaded

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#23 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 12 April 2006 - 07:28 PM

Excellent! And finally, a Caribean recipe for wierdos like me who don't like seafood! :cool1: (Love to swim with 'em, can't stand to eat 'em...)

Now, no self respecting bachelor could see this thread and not post the obligatory chili recipe, so here goes:

Jim's Chili

1 lb ground beef (ground chuck if you're watching the fat)
(1) 12 oz. can of diced tomatoes
(1) 12 oz. can of pinto beans (no comments from Texas about real chili, please!)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2" squares will do, no need to mangle it further)
1 bay leaf
1 Tbs crushed chili peppers
Chili Powder (keep shaking until it tastes right)
2 cloves fresh garlic (minced or pressed, your choice)
Salt to taste ('till the 'maters don't bite so much)
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Healthy sprinkle of hot vinegar
Exactly 8 shakes of Texas Pete hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot will work in a pinch)
(optional) Dash of white pepper
(optional) Dash of cayenne

Brown the ground beef/chuck over medium heat in a medium saucepan; drain fat. Add remaining ingredients; do not drain the tomatoes or pinto beans. Leave heat at medium until the mixture is bubbling actively, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer uncovered for about an hour (stirring occasionally), or until the onions are clear and tender. Remove from heat.

Serve piping hot with a generous handful of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Keebler Townhouse crackers. Fresh cornbread works, too. Best when consumed with a hearty, crisp lager or pale ale. (Sorry, you can't have those recipes).

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#24 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:54 PM

Excellent!! I think I'll need to make that one fr a dive weekend. Sounds hearty and could make for an interesting weekend in drysuits! :cool1:

#25 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 11:11 PM

Excellent! And finally, a Caribean recipe for wierdos like me who don't like seafood! :cool1: (Love to swim with 'em, can't stand to eat 'em...)

Now, no self respecting bachelor could see this thread and not post the obligatory chili recipe, so here goes:

Jim's Chili

1 lb ground beef (ground chuck if you're watching the fat)
(1) 12 oz. can of diced tomatoes
(1) 12 oz. can of pinto beans (no comments from Texas about real chili, please!)
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2" squares will do, no need to mangle it further)
1 bay leaf
1 Tbs crushed chili peppers
Chili Powder (keep shaking until it tastes right)
2 cloves fresh garlic (minced or pressed, your choice)
Salt to taste ('till the 'maters don't bite so much)
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
Healthy sprinkle of hot vinegar
Exactly 8 shakes of Texas Pete hot sauce (Frank's Red Hot will work in a pinch)
(optional) Dash of white pepper
(optional) Dash of cayenne

Brown the ground beef/chuck over medium heat in a medium saucepan; drain fat. Add remaining ingredients; do not drain the tomatoes or pinto beans. Leave heat at medium until the mixture is bubbling actively, then reduce heat to simmer. Simmer uncovered for about an hour (stirring occasionally), or until the onions are clear and tender. Remove from heat.

Serve piping hot with a generous handful of shredded sharp cheddar cheese and Keebler Townhouse crackers. Fresh cornbread works, too. Best when consumed with a hearty, crisp lager or pale ale. (Sorry, you can't have those recipes).

Cheers!

Jim

Excellent!! I think I'll need to make that one fr a dive weekend. Sounds hearty and could make for an interesting weekend in drysuits! :cool1:

As good as Jim's recipe sounds I think it would be best be served on the last day of a live aboard trip...

#26 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 13 April 2006 - 06:58 AM

As good as Jim's recipe sounds I think it would be best be served on the last day of a live aboard trip...

A few years ago, a bunch of good friends and I did a 2 week sailing charter through Tonga's Vava'u island chain, with each of bringing a few US food items to contribute toward spicing up the stores that came with the charter. One of the things I brought was a chili mix, which we cooked it up one noontime with lots of fixings. Everyone snarfed it down. Never thought about chili being a good thing to eat after a long day of sailing/snorkeling/diving but it was absolutely the bomb. Will give this recipe a try for sure.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#27 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 13 April 2006 - 04:49 PM

I've taken this for lunch when doing am and pm dives. Can be eaten with lettuce and tomato or in a pita for some extra carbs.

Tuna and White Bean Salad
1/2 c olive oil
1/4 c red wine vinegar
1 sweet onion, diced
1/4 c chopped fresh parsley
2 T chopped fresh basil
2 t sugar
1 t garlic salt
3/4 t pepper
3 T lemon juice
2 (15 1/2 oz) cans of cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 (12 oz) can solid white tuna in spring water, drained and broken into chunks
Lettuce and tomato if desired
Whick together first 9 ingredients; add beans and tuna, tossing gently. Cover and Chill 2 hours.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#28 jholley309

jholley309

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 14 April 2006 - 08:22 PM

Excellent!! I think I'll need to make that one fr a dive weekend. Sounds hearty and could make for an interesting weekend in drysuits! :-D

Well, I can say from experience that I don't recommend it if you expect to be donning a chemical warfare ensemble for any length of time. Unfortunately, gas masks don't do much for that type of gas. :diver:

Cheers!

Jim

Edited by jholley309, 14 April 2006 - 08:23 PM.

Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#29 jholley309

jholley309

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 06:35 PM

Well, I finally tried Nicolle's zesty chicken recipe last night. Wow! That ROCKED! :D Especially with some french cut green beans, whole kernel corn, and garlic toast. Tonight I'm trying it with black beans and rice.

:) for the great recipe!

Cheers!

Jim

#30 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:11 PM

Very cool! I am making it again this week AND I have your recipe on slate for the next dive weekend - beans be damned!

Besides we did burrito night this past dive weekend and everyone survived...

:cool1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users