• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Perhaps It's Time for a Northeast HH

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#31 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 06 April 2006 - 07:20 PM

aww.. man.. can't you wait until after I graduate!! I'll try to come up for the next one!!
:P

Let not your heart be troubled, Vanessa. In your absence, we'll just work out the kinks and rough spots in preparation for the subsequent NE HH that you'll attend. :cool1:

BTW, I just heard today that the Rhode Island Department of Transportation will be demolishing the old Jamestown Bridge, which has remained standing next to the bridge that replaced it about a dozen years ago. Concrete portions bridge will be used as artificial reef material, but concerns about lead in the paint on the steel portion have prompted the authorities to recycle the steel portion. The bridge is scheduled to be blown up on 18 April.

Rick
:cool2:

Like a bridge over troubled water, I will lay me down--Paul Simon

#32 rebecca ann fowles

rebecca ann fowles

Getting started

• Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced/ice diver/nitrox/will be master diver in sept. 2006.
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 11 April 2006 - 02:02 PM

We had a good group at BTS. So, with this momentum, I suggest that we have a Northeast HH. Any thoughts?

Rick

You can ponder perpetual motion, fix your mind on a crystal day,
Always time for a good conversation, there’s an ear for what you say.--
Creedence Clearwater Revival

#33 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 13 April 2006 - 01:29 PM

:wavey: to SD rebecca ann fowles!

:cool2:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#34 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:25 AM

Well, we're only four weeks away from the HH in Newport, as was proposed earlier in this thread. Any thoughts on finalizing the plan? :tears:

BTW, earlier this week, the old Jamestown Bridge was demolished. It'll seem strange going over the Jamestown Bridge and not seeing that rickety old structure beside me.

Rick

#35 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 23 April 2006 - 11:56 AM

Well, we're only four weeks away from the HH in Newport, as was proposed earlier in this thread. Any thoughts on finalizing the plan? :idea:

Rick
:D

I'm still on for Newport - May 20 - 7:00 p.m. - Red Parrot or anyplace works fine for me.

As for Sunday diving, I don't really care whether its a boat or shore dive. I'll try to go along with whatever you decide. My only issue is water temp. Any idea what this is likely to be. I have to dive wet, and my thickest suit is 3 mil. So, I will need to rent tanks and a thicker suit somewhere on Saturday, then return them after the dive on Sunday. I can arrange the rentals here in NJ, but would be easier to just do it up there.

Finally, what safety equipment is required by local ordinance. Will we need lift bags & lines, redundant systems (what min size), etc.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#36 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

I'm still on for Newport - May 20 - 7:00 p.m. - Red Parrot or anyplace works fine for me.

As for Sunday diving, I don't really care whether its a boat or shore dive. I'll try to go along with whatever you decide. My only issue is water temp. Any idea what this is likely to be. I have to dive wet, and my thickest suit is 3 mil. So, I will need to rent tanks and a thicker suit somewhere on Saturday, then return them after the dive on Sunday. I can arrange the rentals here in NJ, but would be easier to just do it up there.

Finally, what safety equipment is required by local ordinance. Will we need lift bags & lines, redundant systems (what min size), etc.

I'm going to be diving Ft. Wetherill during the day, so it would be more convenient for me if we had the HH earlier, but if there's overwhelming sentiment for having it at seven, I'll just rent a room and I'll actually get cleaned up after the dive, rather than going directly from Ft. Wetherill to the Red Parrot.

Having the HH during the afternoon would be advantageous in the respect that folks who want to make it a day trip could probably do it. If we have the HH at seven, it would be difficult for those who live two or three hours away to make the trip late at night.

Rhode Island does require use of a dive flag. Typically, this means one flag per buddy team, although the authorities are pretty reasonable if there's a small group (like a class) operating under one flag.

Rick
:D

Everybody get ready - lift up your glasses and sing--Bob Dylan

#37 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:11 PM

Has the First Northeast Happy Hour been established and set up? If so what is the time and the location? Hope to see this get off the ground :cool1:
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#38 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:36 PM

Hey, I may have to plan a visit to NY to see my family and then try to hit the HH...so is the U-boat off for a later date then? Whats the shore diving like?

#39 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:47 PM

Hey, I may have to plan a visit to NY to see my family and then try to hit the HH...so is the U-boat off for a later date then? Whats the shore diving like?

The U-853 is not related to the HH, but if enough folks are interested, it could be a good dive for the folks who met during the HH.

Rick
:cool1:

#40 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:26 PM

Just printed out the directions, looks like a 4-1/2 hour ride coming up. The only concern is...the dive on Sunday- it would really be great if it happened. OK, maybe there are two concerns...I did not see Molson Golden on their drink list.
Who is thinking of going from Jersey... and when were you thinking you had time? I wouldn't mind heading up friday night or early saturday...just throwing that out there. Not sure how many I can fit, depends on how much gear everyone is bringing.

#41 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:18 PM

Just got back into RI as I've been gone for the past couple of weeks including some diving in NC and FL. Anyway, I'm still up for organizing a HH at the Red Parrott as well as a shore dive if folks are interested. I had proposed 7 pm on May 20th but we can certainly change the time.

So, I guess that the questions that need to be answered are,

1) What time should we meet at the Red Parrott on May 20th?
2) Who is planning on attending?
3) Who wants to do a shore dive on either the morning of May 20th or the morning of May 21st?
4) Is there anything else that I've forgotten to ask?

As far as diving the U-853, it had sounded life folks wanted to push this back until early fall. Perhaps this can be a topic for discussion at the HHs.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#42 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:30 PM

I'm going to be diving Ft. Wetherill during the day, so it would be more convenient for me if we had the HH earlier....

Having the HH during the afternoon would be advantageous in the respect that folks who want to make it a day trip could probably do it.

Rick
:cool1:

Everybody get ready - lift up your glasses and sing--Bob Dylan

Hipshot,

Since you already have dive plans committed on Saturday, why don't you pick a time for the Happy Hour at the Red Parrot that works for you and the rest of us will make our plans around that.

Also, maybe you can suggest a specific dive for Sunday and lets see how many we can get committed. I think we all just need something specific to try to lock onto here, and since you started this thread you might as well be the first to have a crack at it. I'm new to diving that area so I'll be happy with anything you come up with.

BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#43 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:49 PM

Hi! :) I'm new to SD and was hoping to attend a HH in the Northeast. I'd like to go the HH in Newport on May 20th. But I won't be diving on Sunday since I have to leave early in the morning. If someone/a few are interested in splitting a hotel room, it would be great. I'm looking into availability now. I will be driving up from NJ unless there's still room in a carpool. So if anyone wants to drive & stay, please post soon. I'm looking forward to the first NE HH. :cheerleader: I would love to have a HH in NYC or in NJ right across the Hudson to meet local and all divers who can give me info on dry suit and wreck diving. :diver: :cool1:

#44 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts

Posted 25 April 2006 - 03:47 PM

Hipshot,

Since you already have dive plans committed on Saturday, why don't you pick a time for the Happy Hour at the Red Parrot that works for you and the rest of us will make our plans around that.

Also, maybe you can suggest a specific dive for Sunday and lets see how many we can get committed. I think we all just need something specific to try to lock onto here, and since you started this thread you might as well be the first to have a crack at it. I'm new to diving that area so I'll be happy with anything you come up with.

For me, 4:00 pm would fit right into my diving schedule. However, I'm flexible, and I wouldn't want my preference to discourage another potential attendees.

I must caution the folks planning a Sunday dive. The traffic returning on I-95 southbound on Sunday afternoon/evening is an abomination. There's a portion of I-95 around Old Saybrook, CT, where it changes from 6 to 4 lanes. All that traffic returning home from the Cape creates a world-class mess around there. :birthday: It's the reason I don't dive up there on Sundays. I'd strongly recommend doing the diving on Saturday, if you're using I-95 to return to CT/NY/NJ and points south.

Rick
:birthday:

#45 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 25 April 2006 - 04:11 PM

Hipshot,

For me, 4:00 pm would fit right into my diving schedule. However, I'm flexible, and I wouldn't want my preference to discourage another potential attendees.

I must caution the folks planning a Sunday dive. The traffic returning on I-95 southbound on Sunday afternoon/evening is an abomination. There's a portion of I-95 around Old Saybrook, CT, where it changes from 6 to 4 lanes. All that traffic returning home from the Cape creates a world-class mess around there. :birthday: It's the reason I don't dive up there on Sundays. I'd strongly recommend doing the diving on Saturday, if you're using I-95 to return to CT/NY/NJ and points south.

Rick
:birthday:

you guys are killin' me, now i am second guessing it...need help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users