• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Perhaps It's Time for a Northeast HH

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#16 Knitrofix

Knitrofix

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:12 PM

That's just it, Gypsy--I threw this one out to see who's interested. I certainly wouldn't mind having one in Newport if it wouldn't be too far away for too many others (say, from NJ).

The Red Parrot would be a perfect place, if we were to go to Newport. Somehow, I don't think they'd let us convene in The Breakers. :taz: Seriously, if we're going to have one in Newport, let's do it soon before downtown traffic becomes extremely unfriendly.

I have no problem arranging it for Newport though it would have to be at the end of April as I'll be out of town. Hopefully some of the folks from Mass. could attend but it will be a drive for folks coming from NJ. It really doesn't start getting too crowded until June so we could push it into May if that is preferrable.

Count me in !!!! I'd be more up for CT or RI for day type stuff. Any further and I'd plan to stay overnight.

#17 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:37 AM

I would be happy to ride up with you (in my cherokee).

Can I hitch a ride too?

#18 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 02 April 2006 - 05:59 AM

I didn't expect to see so much support fm the New England Crowd. That's great.

I'll go to Newport if its on a Friday or Saturday night. Carpooling sounds good too. I can fit one other person fm NJ in my Jeep Wrangler if we need it.

Sounds like we are going to have to do a Yankees / Sox game at some point too. That will really test our friendship. No lead diving weights allowed in the stadium.

BB
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#19 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 02 April 2006 - 09:30 AM

I would be happy to ride up with you (in my cherokee).

Can I hitch a ride too?

sure...the more the merrier

#20 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 02 April 2006 - 06:58 PM

OK all of you brave NJ-ites and New Englanders, how does this sound?

Happy Hours on either Friday, 19 May or Saturday 20 May in Newport? Depending on how many are interested, I can then try and confirm a reservation at the Red Parrot.

We could add to this outing with a charter dive on either the U-853 on Saturday 20 April or on the PT Teti on Sunday 21 April on the Seeker (and yes this is the same boat used in the book "Shadow Divers" as it now is based in Newport).

The U-853 does require some experience and a second source of gas (pony bottle, doubles) while the PT Teti is around 100' but is a nice dive. I will need to put our reservations in for one of these dives very soon if they are of interest. Or perhaps it might be preferred to just have the HH this time and then schedule a charter later in the fall when the water is at its warmest? Just let me know what everyone would like.

Or perhaps if folks feel more comfortable, we might plan on a shallow shore dive in either Newport or Jamestown?
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#21 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 02 April 2006 - 08:06 PM

Either one of those wrecks sound great, I'm in if anyone else wants to, if not that is ok too, we could just go for HH. So do the diveboats provide breakfast, lunch and beers after the dive...or do they only do that in Jersey?

#22 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:42 PM

OK all of you brave NJ-ites and New Englanders, how does this sound?

Happy Hours on either Friday, 19 May or Saturday 20 May in Newport? Depending on how many are interested, I can then try and confirm a reservation at the Red Parrot.

We could add to this outing with a charter dive on either the U-853 on Saturday 20 April or on the PT Teti on Sunday 21 April on the Seeker (and yes this is the same boat used in the book "Shadow Divers" as it now is based in Newport).

The U-853 does require some experience and a second source of gas (pony bottle, doubles) while the PT Teti is around 100' but is a nice dive. I will need to put our reservations in for one of these dives very soon if they are of interest. Or perhaps it might be preferred to just have the HH this time and then schedule a charter later in the fall when the water is at its warmest? Just let me know what everyone would like.

Or perhaps if folks feel more comfortable, we might plan on a shallow shore dive in either Newport or Jamestown?

It just so happens that my local scuba club is having its kick-off dive for the season at Ft. Wetherill on the 20th of May. I'll be happy to stop by that afternoon, after the dive.

Rick
:thankyou:

#23 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties

Posted 03 April 2006 - 04:50 PM

I'm definitely in for the Red Parrot on either night.

As for the dives, I'll do them if and when the water is warm enough for a 7mil wetsuit. I haven't taken on dry suit diving yet.

BB
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#24 madlobster

madlobster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

I would certianly try to make the HH as well, it's close enough just have to check my calander
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#25 madlobster

madlobster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:51 PM

If you're looking to pull New Hampshire, Maine, and Vermont as well then perhaps Auburn or Milford MA would be good alternatives as they are very close to the Mass Pike.

#26 Knitrofix

Knitrofix

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 04 April 2006 - 04:25 PM

I'd be able to make the HH on the 20th, work allowing. Either wreck works for me. :)

#27 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:23 PM

OK, it sounds like we have a date for the first New England Happy Hours!

Saturday, May 20, 2006 at the Red Parrot in Newport, RI!! I couldn't get their website to come up but did find this which has a mapping feature. I'm figuring 7 pm unless there is another time that folks have a preference for.

As far as the charter dive on Sunday, might folks enjoy a shore dive? If we do the shore dive then we can decide on the time and place at the HH and not have to worry about reservations, deposits, experience/training levels, etc.

So let me know who is coming to the HH on May 20th and who wants to dive on Sunday, May 21st.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

#28 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:53 PM

aww.. man.. can't you wait until after I graduate!! I'll try to come up for the next one!!
:cool1:
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#29 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

aww.. man.. can't you wait until after I graduate!! I'll try to come up for the next one!!
:P

If we get good at this then we will have more :cool1: ! Besides, we need to practice to be prepared for your arrival!

#30 madlobster

madlobster

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts

Posted 06 April 2006 - 06:27 PM

As my calander stands now I"M IN. I'll have to check to see what is there in the area for rooms though. Where were you looking to do a Sunday Shore dive if that happens?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users