• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

1st Regional Event...Athens May 21-23 2004

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 25 May 2004 - 11:57 AM

someone provided me with a fin since mine fell off during our night dive.. thats where i get my latest name "gimp spice" it was REALLY hard to try and get myself out of the bus with only one fin... i probably would have been swimming in circles if there had been enough space to do so.
Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

#17 scubahoney

scubahoney

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:00 PM

I'm liking Gimp Spice.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#18 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:05 PM

i probably would have been swimming in circles if there had been enough space to do so.

In close quarters, use finger pulls. Once you're in the open, use a dolphin kick. You should practice one fin swimming from time to time for just such an emergency.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#19 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:08 PM

What great pictures you guys!! The Angels are completely adorable!! Sounds like you all had a good time!! Someday I hope to join in. Maybe if it's closer to my area and I have the $$ to travel!
Sempar Partus!!

#20 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:15 PM

i probably would have been swimming in circles if there had been enough space to do so.

In close quarters, use finger pulls. Once you're in the open, use a dolphin kick. You should practice one fin swimming from time to time for just such an emergency.

i had to pull myself out actually but i had no gloves and im glad i didnt cut myself! ya i need to practice for sure cause i had NO CLUE what to do.
Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

#21 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:16 PM

What great pictures you guys!! The Angels are completely adorable!! Sounds like you all had a good time!! Someday I hope to join in. Maybe if it's closer to my area and I have the $$ to travel!

Hey girl! We'll see you SOON!!! I can't wait for the trip 'up North' to get all worked out! It will be a blast as well!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#22 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 25 May 2004 - 12:20 PM

i had to pull myself out actually but i had no gloves and im glad i didnt cut myself! ya i need to practice for sure cause i had NO CLUE what to do.

It always good to wear gloves on any kind of wreck - or any dive other than a Reef Dive, when they're usually not allowed.

I wore Tropical Dive Gloves, costing $15, but cotton gardening gloves @ $1 are better than nothing.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#23 cyclingmike31

cyclingmike31

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:24 PM

It always good to wear gloves on any kind of wreck - or any dive other than a Reef Dive, when they're usually not allowed.

I wore Tropical Dive Gloves, costing $15, but cotton gardening gloves @ $1 are better than nothing.

I agree with gloves on any wreck but in Athens it is a different story. In Athens, the wrecks have been made "diver friendly" with sharp corners and edges removed. Most of the entrances and exits have been worked over with either carpet or the edges pushed back so that there are not sharp edges exposed. The edges that are left are in places that folks should not put their hands. Some of these places are inside the wings and in the APU area on jet. Otherwise there are guide ropes that divers can use to pull themselves through the wrecks that can be penetrated. So there is no real need for gloves other than a comfort factor.
-Michael
AKA - Charlie ...The Keeper of the Angels and the SD Photo guy on trips

If you are Single or Buddyless and looking to dive with other single divers, visit us at http://www.singledivers.com.

#24 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 01:53 PM

there wasnt a rope in the bus charlie!!! well i dont remember if there was i couldnt see it or chie for that matter..
Jane Austen

#25 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 02:49 PM

there wasnt a rope in the bus charlie!!! well i dont remember if there was i couldnt see it or chie for that matter..

That's what I was thinking - rope in the jet, but not the bus...? :D

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#26 cyclingmike31

cyclingmike31

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:50 PM

The vis was so bad this trip that I didn't see a rope in the bus. Last I dove the bus was about a year ago and there was a rope in the wreck. I don't use the ropes to pull myself through the wrecks in Athens so I was focused on bouyancy control to get through the wreck vs looking for a rope.
-Michael
AKA - Charlie ...The Keeper of the Angels and the SD Photo guy on trips

If you are Single or Buddyless and looking to dive with other single divers, visit us at http://www.singledivers.com.

#27 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 25 May 2004 - 03:59 PM

DC's right. there was a rope in the plane but not the bus. i thought that was odd when i noticed it during our first dive (yogaboy, DC, and me) when i looked up at the ceiling of the bus, but thought that there was a reason for it. i guess it just hadn't been replaced yet.

#28 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:03 PM

Well look at you Charlie!!! Buoyancy is all you need to maneuver through a bus!! Well unfortunately not all of us are as wonderful and experienced as you, especially with LOW vis and no fin. Teach me your ways!! :evilgrin:
Jane Austen

#29 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 25 May 2004 - 04:09 PM

Well look at you Charlie!!! Buoyancy is all you need to maneuver through a bus!! Well unfortunately not all of us are as wonderful and experienced as you, especially with LOW vis and no fin.  Teach me your ways!! :welcome:

Yeah, that's how I did the bus & plane both, too, with Frog Kicks to keep from stirring the silt, but it does help to have two fins.

I'm thinking, if you can lose a fin in a quiet quary, it could be really bad in a strong current. Hope you got the problem resolved so it won't happen again. :evilgrin:

Edited by DandyDon, 25 May 2004 - 04:10 PM.

#30 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 25 May 2004 - 08:03 PM

WELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL............You can bet your sweet biceps I will make it over to the hot tub in Athens for THAT event next time! Even if I have to take a nap during the day to make it up that late!!!!! OH MY!!!!!!! :teeth:
Known puker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users