• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Need info on Australia

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 SuperDave

SuperDave

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 11:56 PM

Hi all,

My mid tour is from 20 Nov-4 Dec 06 and I have a free ticket to Cairns, Au. Never been in this part of the world and need some info about what outfit to use and what to see around there. Doesn't necessarily have to be in Cairns so anything within a days drive would be great.

Conditions: I need to rent everything.
Would prefer a hotel/dive package
No liveaboard for more than 5 days.
$2500 US to kill
Must have cold beer

Thanks for any information.

SD
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#2 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 12:12 AM

Sorry, no info, but its good to hear from ya. How's it going?
"

#3 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:19 AM

Life is beautiful. Something about the Army makes me happy. Maybe its the anti-depressants I'm eating like M&M's. :o :P :) :o

Actually I have it very good with a waterproof (almost) tent, wall locker, shelf, and comfy cot. To bad I leave it all in a little bit. Food is good and the weather is still fairly mild for the area. This truely is the "Desert Garden" of Afghanistan. Only had a couple problems but those are taken care of quickly and life moves on. Just can't wait to go diving!!!!!!

Take care,

SD

#4 waterphoto

waterphoto

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 02 April 2006 - 02:58 AM

I have a friend who is traveling the world and just left Australia where he spent a lot of time. He's ex-military and a diver. Feel free to drop him a line Kenny at wasahtoha@yahoo.com. Tell him Cindy from Half Moon Bay sent you. Have a great time and thanks for all you are doing to keep us safe.

#5 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:27 PM

Hi all,

My mid tour is from 20 Nov-4 Dec 06 and I have a free ticket to Cairns, Au. Never been in this part of the world and need some info about what outfit to use and what to see around there. Doesn't necessarily have to be in Cairns so anything within a days drive would be great.

Conditions: I need to rent everything.
Would prefer a hotel/dive package
No liveaboard for more than 5 days.
$2500 US to kill
Must have cold beer

Thanks for any information.

SD

:usflag: Go to Port Douglas! It is about 50 miles North of Cairns and close to the GBR. I have never been to PD but I have been in the area and dove on some of the outer reefs. Lots of nice Hotels and Resorts and nice beaches. I have talked to many people who have loved it. You are going the best time of the year before the heat an the waters are warming up.....should be about 81 in late Nov.

The diving is good on the GBR...Not great.... but you will love the Islands, people, blue waters...I could go on and on.

Do stay only a night or two in Cairns....things to do....the rainforest, Yama Japanese restaurant etc. Need any other info let me know.

Edited by Travelnsj, 02 April 2006 - 10:42 PM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#6 Piz

Piz

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 148 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:?? 200+

Posted 03 April 2006 - 01:13 AM

Righto! Here is the low down. I have been to Cairnes a bit and have been kicked out of plenty of the nightclubs and bars. Mind you that was all the penguins fault. (another story)

OK the live aboard I liked the best is run by Deep Sea Divers Den. They have a great setup an are very professional. They have a range of packages so you can go out for aas long or as little as you like. Here is their wedsite.

http://www.divers-den.com/

Port Douglas is OK but it is really just a higher priced tourist town. It is OK for a day trip and there are pleanty of day trips you can book onto to do this. I would recomend going up to Kuranda, which is a small town above Cairnes on teh escarpment. You can take a steam train up there and the skyrail back. Awsome rainforest to check out doing this and the town itself is pretty cool. My favourite glass bolower is up there. I have some great pieces from him.

www.blowninglass.com.au

The Daintree Rainforest is a must see and there was lots of other stuff to do that I haven't got around to yet. I wouldn't get to hung up on organising to much until you get there. For starters it will be cheaper, and you will have a greater choice of things to do.

Unfortunately I can't recomend a hotel. I normal sleep on my mates floor in a swag. I'm normally there to see him. You will have resurch this one yourself. I don't think Rob is ready to start a backpackers yet. :cool2:

Other things to check out; there is a bar called Rattle and Hum, they have a very unusual urinal. I wont tell you what it is or that will spoil the supprise. If youare going there single or just looking for a ferral night out, head to the Woolshed. This is a normal bar/restaurant durring the day but at night it cranks up and there is literally dancing on the tables. If you get a chance go to the Green Ant. It is a local bar and not frequented by the backpackers so is quiet and funky. Other than that make it up as you go. Caires is really set up to do that. There is so much happening up there all you realy need to do is rock up.

Other than that have fun!!!! :P

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 03 April 2006 - 03:14 PM

Hey Dave,

I sent you a pm with some info

Kim

#8 Motown Cheesehead

Motown Cheesehead

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced and Wreck
  • Logged Dives:about 40? (my log book is packed)

Posted 05 April 2006 - 02:24 PM

When I did my diving in Australia - I did a liveaboard with Taka Dive. They're a bit more affordable, and all about the diving. I enjoyed it...but again, that was my first ever liveaboard, so I didn't have much to compare it to at the time. I think they have a new boat too....so, they're prices may have gone up. Anyway - they depart out of Cairns, and I had no complaints at all from my trip with them.

www.takadive.com

Enjoy the diving!!!

#9 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:10 PM

:cool1:
Thanks for all the info, I can't wait to go and try out some of these places. Especially the "ferrel" hotspot.
This is going to be a long 7 months.

Dave

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:45 PM

Have a great time Dave and good to see you online! :)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#11 Marina

Marina

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:80+

Posted 15 April 2006 - 03:13 AM

Has anyone tried the live-aboard of Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom from Cairns, Australia? I heard about Great Barrier Reef and would like to know what is best for this dive. I'm waiting for a dive package for a live-aboard with either Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom. But I'd like to hear if any of you guys have info about these two. I'm planning to do this on second week of January 2007. It's better to plan early though.... or maybe... do you know if SD has a planned trip on second week of January 2007 on the side of South Pacific Ocean?

Thanks!

#12 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 08:36 AM

Has anyone tried the live-aboard of Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom from Cairns, Australia? I heard about Great Barrier Reef and would like to know what is best for this dive. I'm waiting for a dive package for a live-aboard with either Mike Ball or Spirit of Freedom. But I'd like to hear if any of you guys have info about these two. I'm planning to do this on second week of January 2007. It's better to plan early though.... or maybe... do you know if SD has a planned trip on second week of January 2007 on the side of South Pacific Ocean?

Thanks!

:birthday: Marina...I did the Mike Ball Supersport out of Cairns....Mike Ball was great but the boat was old and Small...they have since replaced the boat with the Spoiledsport..and I hear is good....I have also heard the Spirit of Freedom is very good.....The diving was good...some excellent dives and a lot of good dives....but the topside was out of this world...Australia...is wonderful.

I am not a fan of Cairns as Piz is....I have been to rainforests is South America and Kuranda is worth a visit and taking the train is worthwhile...but it is not the greatest rainforest I have seen. Cairns which I have been to 4 times is a transit city as a lot of backpackers travel thru...if you are into hanging out at beer bars and so fourth it may be worth staying more than a day.....If not head down to do the the Yongla wreck or Heron Island...you may also enjoy the Whitsundays....I love Australia....and Book it NOW....do not wait....or you may not be going....January starts to get hot...but you will love it! In Cairns I have stayed at the Holiday Inn, Raddison and Hilton...Holiday Inn is nice and in downtown Cairns on the waterfront.

Contact Kim...fingrabber...you need a travel agent unless you like spending a lot of time on line booking flights etc....and you will not save a dime.

Edited by Travelnsj, 15 April 2006 - 08:47 AM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#13 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 15 April 2006 - 09:36 AM

Marina,

I can set you up with the Spirit of Freedom or with Explorer Ventures out of Cairns

I can also check on airfare for you; sometimes we can find really good deals, but I can't promise always!

Please send me an email to kim@singledivers.com with your dates of travel and if you want to add any additional nights to your trip, then I can check pricing and availability for you

#14 Marina

Marina

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:80+

Posted 16 April 2006 - 10:16 PM

Marina,

I can set you up with the Spirit of Freedom or with Explorer Ventures out of Cairns

I can also check on airfare for you; sometimes we can find really good deals, but I can't promise always!

Please send me an email to kim@singledivers.com with your dates of travel and if you want to add any additional nights to your trip, then I can check pricing and availability for you

Hi finGrabber,

Thanks for the response. I just sent you an email to kim@singledivers.com.
Happy easter!

Marina.

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 09:58 AM

Marina,

Hi finGrabber,

Thanks for the response. I just sent you an email to kim@singledivers.com.
Happy easter!

Marina.

Marina,

thanks for the email! I'm working it as we speak!

Kim

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users