• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Guam

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 09 April 2006 - 05:17 PM

Hey guys, my buddy and I are looking to go to Guam in mid-May for a short dive trip (say 3 or 4 days). Can anyone give some advice on diving in the area. the best operator? a good place to stay? best dive sites? etc.
"Love What You Do.....Do What You Love."

#2 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:07 PM

Wow. Guam is a long trip for just 3 or 4 days. It will take you two days just to get there. The diving is pretty good, but I don't think good enough to go all that way, expecially for the the short time you talking. It's been years since I've been there, but I did my diving with MDA. If you do go, don't do a dive package with any of the big hotels. You will be charged tourist rates. Rent a car and drive into the shop on your own.

For 3 or 4 days, though, I'd recommend trying out the Big Island of Hawaii - diving isn't quite as good as Guam, but a lot easier and cheaper to get to.
"

#3 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 April 2006 - 08:57 PM

PM me for details...spent 6 weeks diving Guam last year.

KSG

#4 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:53 PM

Matt,

I haven't been there myself but am considering a trip. A friend of mine is from there and sent me this link for MDA: http://www.mdaguam.com/
I would link you up with him but he is out of the country right now.
The diving is supposed to be very good and it's close to Truk, Palau, and the other hot Micronesian sites.

Tony

#5 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 04:28 PM

hi guys thanks for the info. We will already be in China, so a 4 day trip to Guam is a snap.

I dont know how to PM konascubagirl (or think I cant) since I am normal member.

I'll also check out the website.

#6 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 07:25 PM

OK, well, if you are "normal" you probably don't belong on this site :P

That being said, as a regular member, you are correct, you won't be able to PM.

But since you are going to be in China, then, yes, Guam would be worth a 3 or 4 day trip. MDA was the only game in town when I lived there over 10 years ago. Since then Guam Tropical Divers opened, and I understand there are a couple more shops and even a shop geared towards more tech diving. Most of the hotels are in the Tumon area and are going to be $$$$$; however there are a couple off the beaten path that will be a little cheaper - a WEB search should help you find them. The best dives are boat dives, but there are some shore dives - Gunn Beach comes to mind as one I remember. The easiest shore dive is Gab Gab, but you have to have base access as it is off of NAVSTA. Actually, you might consider Siapan as well. Close to Guam and probably not quite as over dove as Guam.
"

#7 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:06 PM

hi guys thanks for the info. We will already be in China, so a 4 day trip to Guam is a snap.

I dont know how to PM konascubagirl (or think I cant) since I am normal member.

I'll also check out the website.

Aloha!

Night diving can be very fun in Guam FROM THE SHORE! There is a huge pier thingine that is pretty close to MDA's shop. There is a Day's Inn by the airport that is only about $60 per night and is very clean (and next door to Burger King). MDA IMHO is the best operator on the island. You will have a less crowded boat, and friendlier staff. Chances are you will also be diving with people that speak English. I woudl definately contact MDA in advance and book your dives early. A fun dive is the Comoran/Tokai Maru wreck. The Comoran is a WWI wreck, and the Tokai Maru went down in WWII. They lie at a 90 degree angle to each other, and you can touch both of them at the same time if you are in the right spot.

Ali is right, consider going to Saipan! I dove there for a week last year, and it's absolutely gorgeous. Due to currents, there are a few dive spots that are only accessible May-October. I am having trouble remembering the name of the operator I used, but I know it had "American" in it. This was funny because I think only one guy actually spoke English, and he was Chinese. Anyway, Lee was a fabulous guide. Check out diving the Blue Grotto if you go to Saipan. Amazing is all I can say.

KSG

PS... A 5-star hotel in Saipan only costs about $130 per night! We are talking gorgeous HUGE room, mints on the pillows, breakfast buffet, afternoon tea, etc. etc.

Edited by konascubagirl, 10 April 2006 - 10:08 PM.

#8 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 12:25 AM

We actually have a member in Guam -- Jim (maninthesea) -- but he hasn't been around since the end of March. Hopefully, he'll pop back in soon and offer some suggestions.

#9 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 05:06 PM

Ha Ha Ha.. I am definitely on the abnormal side :cheerleader:

Anyway, I hooked with MDA. Thanks.. Looks like this is gonna happen. We can do 4 wreck dives in a day.. How cool is that?

I just got out of the water after being chased for 12 minutes by a remora. It was about 4 ft long, and I dont know what it came off of. He must have been lost and decided that my dive buddy and I were the next best thing to a shark or a ray... Got some great video.

Here he is:Posted Image

#10 Marina

Marina

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:80+

Posted 15 April 2006 - 02:41 AM

Hi! I heard from Wreck Wrench regarding email on Guam dives. I lived in Guam for 14 months (before I moved here in North Calif last year) and dove there at least twice a month.. almost every week.... (I really got crazy about diving since i got certified in 2004. my non-diver friends were so amazed and didn't understand how I felt about being under the water... wish they had tried this...)

Back to Guam dives..... Tokai Maru was a good one. I love the Cormoran tour. You can do deep dive too for this. And yes, MDA is the best contact dive shop in Guam. I got certified through that shop. I usually talk to Cindy (travel coordinator of MDA) everytime I plan for a dive vacation. She can also offer dive packages for other islands (states in Micronesia). Consider also trying dives in Chuuk (Truk) in Micronesia. I once spent my Thanksgiving week in Chuuk and did about 11 dives for 4-5 days. My wreck dives in Chuuk were excellent!!!!! I love the Fujikawa Maru where I saw a lot of tiny fish, jelly fish, artificial corals, anemone, more historical stuff, sting rays.. etc..etc... colorful dives.... Day & night dives are good in Fujikawa Maru. Shinkoku is good for a night dive too........ Other cool place to dive in Micronesia includes Yap... My dives there were unforgettable...Dance with the Mantas!!! Very cool...... But it's more costly to dive in Micronesian Islands as compared to Guam. but it's worth it.... you will be very spoiled in Micronesia. Divemaster usually goes with the divers to show them around.... ( but please note, purely diving only..... night life is dead in these islands... but you can still enjoy if you are more of a nature trip). I would still go back to dive in these places if given a chance... (But I'm planning to do dives in other place like Australia..... i'm just a beginner so I know I still have a lot to explore under the water).

Back to Guam dives again... Blue Hole is very popular.. It's a deep dive.. Depending on the current, the boat may go for drift dives, from Blue Hole to Crevice..... Sometimes you will see sharks..You'll see a lot of eels,murrays. I also liked the Haps Reef in Guam.. it's a shallow dive, but you will see colorful fish, corals, octopus, turtle...... In terms of hotelling, i agree to one of the emails. hotels in Tumon are very expensive... You can try other hotels not located in Tumon.. for sure it will be cheaper.

Enjoy the dives!

Wreck Wrench, thanks for welcoming me to SD. It feels better to share my dive passion with you guys. I have no more dive buddy since I moved to North Calif.. I left my dive buddies in Guam.... Thats why I don't get to do more dives now...... I'm really really sad about this.. I even had to pay an instructor just to accompany me to dive in Monterey last month.... I'll try to get wet again this month....

Talk to you guys again.... !

#11 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:57 PM

Marina,

Thanks for all the good info. We are planning on going with MDA. I read somewhere that they oareusually only open for weekends since the Japanese or Korean tourists usually rent the boats. Is this your experience, or can we typically hop on one of these boats too?

Matt

#12 Marina

Marina

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 05:16 PM

Marina,

Thanks for all the good info. We are planning on going with MDA. I read somewhere that they oareusually only open for weekends since the Japanese or Korean tourists usually rent the boats. Is this your experience, or can we typically hop on one of these boats too?

Matt

Happy Easter to you Matt.

MDA has boat dives that go out every day (weekdays & weekends.. morning & afternoon)... But you should make advance reservation to make sure you get your slot.. There are times that most of the slots are reserved by Korean or Japanese tourists... But in my 8 months of weekend diving in Guam, i only experienced once that about 21 out of 25 divers in a boat were all Korean/Japanese...... Usually, divers on the boat are either Guam residents or non-Korean/non-Japanese tourists. But I'm not sure about the weekdays diving though.... I have MDA's phone number. This might help you 1-671-472-6321. If you need help, I can try ask my travel contact from MDA and see what she can do to meet your needs.

:D

#13 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 07:31 PM

Marina, Happy Easter to you too. I hopt that your basket is overflowing with good candy!! Ha Ha

Thanks for the info on MDA. It puts my mind at ease. I will be on a business trip to China and I probably wont know my schedule until the week before the dives. So, I hope that we are able to get on board with these guys. Do they typically have a divemaster with the dives?

#14 Marina

Marina

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 17 April 2006 - 08:12 PM

Marina, Happy Easter to you too. I hopt that your basket is overflowing with good candy!! Ha Ha

Thanks for the info on MDA. It puts my mind at ease. I will be on a business trip to China and I probably wont know my schedule until the week before the dives. So, I hope that we are able to get on board with these guys. Do they typically have a divemaster with the dives?

I had plenty of Easter Eggs.. It was great! :cool2:

They have divemaster on the boat but never goes with or tours the divers... What they usually do for single diver is to hook him/her to a group on the boat.... (Wish they had that just like in the Micronesian Islands).. but in Guam, it's different.. divers dive on their own.... but i don't think it will be an issue....

there's another dive shop there - Guam Tropical Dive Station, but haven't hooked myself w/ this one. Just in case you want some alternative... Let me know if you need the contact info. I can try ask my friend to get the number if it's not available at the website.

Hope you enjoy your dives! and have a safe business trip too..

#15 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 18 May 2006 - 06:49 PM

Leave for Guam tomorrow and get in the water Sunday morning. We are going with MDA and are going to get our deep diver specialty out of the way. I am looking forward to it, and it should be a great time. thanks for all your help, Marina

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users