• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

OceanFest '06!

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 21 April 2006 - 03:35 PM

OK - so I keep reading WW is on her way to OceanFest! So what is this OceanFest?? Ocean Fest is a dive & adventure sports expo held on the beach under tents in Ft. Lauderdale. This year it's April 21-23. Looking through the list of events and exhibitors, it looks like fun.

WW and anyone else who is attending, we'll look forward to hearing your report!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:30 PM

Now, wait just a minute!!

WW has finally found an Expo on a beach???

But, seriously, I bet a great time will be had by all! We just need daily reports :D

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 21 April 2006 - 05:38 PM

That's what the Website said (www.oceanfest.com). I don't know - I've never been. Did she claim she was working in an exhibit hall with no windows!!?? Now that's sly!!! :P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 22 April 2006 - 08:11 AM

I am here and so is "Murphy". Seems my flight was delayed so I was not able to make the show last night but will be inside in a few minutes to make up for lost time today. Earlier in the week "Murphy" showed up and my plans for a booth were baffled, burgered up and booted. Translation...I was to split a booth with another vendor who found out that they would not make the show so now I'll be working the show solo sans the booth. (I've got it but I doubt they will let me set it up in the parking lot! LOL!!)

Enter Plan B....

I have tons of SD calendar cards that I'll be passing out to people as walk around and mingle. Once I hook up with various members I can give them cards to pass out as well.

Got to run...will keep you all aprised as we encounter the infamous OCEANFEST!!!

p.s. This is my first time at this show so it will be fun and a new adventure for me as well!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 22 April 2006 - 06:08 PM

Kamala was indeed at Ocean Fest. I saw her. So was Nextariel, Walter, fdny, celtic siren, and several other SD people.

I have never been before, but everyone told me it was smaller and not as well attended as last year. I enjoyed myself.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#6 Orlando Eric

Orlando Eric

Getting started

• Pip
  • 16 posts
  • Cert Level:OW- AOW- Nitrox- Rescue-Divemaster (1982~present)

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:02 PM

I drove down to Ocean Fest today (1hr 45 min) and was pleasantly surprised. I found a parking space for only $8.00 for the whole day! Then I took a nice walk down the beach to see the sights that Ft Laud is famous for. The cultural diversity down there makes for many splendid, beautiful things.

I walked into the gate and right there was a table serving up tall frosty's. I walked around and ran into several divers that I have not seen in months. My Dive buddy (instructor) introduced me to a few of the "Big Names" from the local area as well.

Then I saw a Mermaid sitting in a chair like a fish out of water. "Mermaid Abby" was her name from Wekki Wacchie (sp?). She obvioulsy could not walk on land with her tail and all so she had a handler that would carry her around. NOW there is a job that I could sign up for next year.

As I walked around I looked over and immediatley recognized "Wreck Wench." I exclaimed WOW look MORE famous people! (more tall frosty's) I spoke with her for quite sometime and can confirm that she is pleasant to look at, even when her hair does not cover half her face like in her pic.

With the way she was working the crowd and handing out cards I no longer can be gulled into believing that she is ever waiting for the phone to ring on a Friday night. In my brief conversation I also was impressed with her wit and intuitiveness. It is not often that someone can counter my "boisterious, machivious comments" but she did, SEVERAL times. With her outgoing attitude and snappy sense of humor she can keep any man's ear after she turns his eyes with her blowing blonde hair and intriguing smile.

There was of course a Scuba Show in the middle of all this flirting so I did stop at several tables and picked up tons of literature for the "someday" when My Income catches up to my Outcome. Several of the tables had exhibitors from tropical diving islands and a wealth of information could be had if you asked the right questions. Many of the vendors simply handed out flyers and brochures with very little salesmanship about the wonders of the locale they were (not) pitching.

Blackbeards had a table and she was very knowledgable about the operation and how they operate since moving from Florida to the Bahamas. Not less than ten live aboard operations where represented however none of them where offering "Outstanding, never seen before, Show only specials."

WW informed me that Truk Lagoon has become almost impossible to book as they are into 2008 in pre bookings. THERE is a AWESOME opportunity to be mined. If I had a charter buisness here competing with the shrinking profit Dive dollar I'd really think about a cross global move.

There was a small pool where a "try SCUBA" exhibit pulled in a crowd. It brought a smile to many old salts watching the wide eyed joy of people breathing under water for the first time. The instructors working the pool made it a fun and exciting first adventure for everyone donning the clusmy gear for the first time. I am certain many were bit by the SCUBA bug in that pool.

The show was certainly worth the drive, where else could I meet a mermaid, drink cold beers, watch bikinis, browse dive equipment/trips and meet the Famous Wreck Wench all in one afternoon!

PS- Is it flirting when someone sticks THEIR hand in YOUR pants pocket looking for a pen? Maybe that's just my perspective...

Edited by Orlando Eric, 22 April 2006 - 10:05 PM.

My days off change every two weeks. If you are diving on the East coast of Florida during the weekday drop me a line I may be off and diving too..

#7 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:58 PM

PS- Is it flirting when someone sticks THEIR hand in YOUR pants pocket looking for a pen? Maybe that's just my perspective...

are you sure that person was looking for a "pen"??

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 23 April 2006 - 08:43 AM

I only have a few minutes for an update but I'm laughing so hard by Orlando Eric's post I can hardly type! Don't let him fool you...he was accompanied by not one but two VERY lovely ladies both of whom were seasoned dive instructors no less. He has promised to help me get them to join our instructor rank and file...and my what a file it is! :cool1:

I have been a very busy gal giving out cards and working more travel deals. Before long you'll find ALL the best deals with SingleDivers.com! Plus you get to travel with great people just like you and me! Too cool huh?

Well I'm late for the show this morning...will do a full update tonight. Jill got LOTS of pictures or is that evidence of the J girls....3 beautiful pirates er...girls that are also DM's and instructors who were friends of Jordan who was a friend of our very own Howard aka Scubadadmiami! Way to go Howard...he has started a WONDERFUL chain reaction! See what happens when friends tell friends about SD....its gets VERY VERY FUN INDEED!!!

Now back to OrlandoEric...PLEASE keep telling your friends! Any man with THAT many talented, extremely pretty and very intelligent diving pros as friends must surely have a few more he's still hiding! :cool1:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#9 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 23 April 2006 - 05:14 PM

Yes, I do have photos. Waiting for a gallery to be setup to post them. I had a great time, meet a few people I didn't know and got to see a number I haven't seen in a long time. I'll let you know when they are in the gallery.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#10 fdnyjery

fdnyjery

Getting started

• Pip
  • 12 posts
  • Cert Level:open water nitrox o2 provider
  • Logged Dives:126

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:47 AM

Yes it was a great weekend ..got to see old friends and met some new ones also got great news about Bonnare in Sept. WE ARE GOING YEAH!!!!!! Hope to see the gang on some dives this summer.
HEY NEXT ARIEL how bout you and i organize a trip to Slates in Key Largo this July a nice weekend trip
whada say :teeth: talk soon NA fdnyjery
FDNYJERY aka JERRY

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 10:59 AM

Yes, I do have photos. Waiting for a gallery to be setup to post them. I had a great time, meet a few people I didn't know and got to see a number I haven't seen in a long time. I'll let you know when they are in the gallery.

Post one or two in the thread while we get the gallery set up for you! Just don't post the one yet of my flipper race results...gotta save that one for the gallery! :teeth:

formerly...

#12 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:08 AM

I like going every year because I get to see so many diving friends. I also bought some cool shirts with turtles, rays and sharks. Not only was walking the booths fun but I also got to attend some interesting seminars by people like world famous photographer, Marty Snyderman, who showed some awesome footage of sharks in the wild, and who showed us identification features of them.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 11:27 AM

Yes it was a great weekend ..got to see old friends and met some new ones also got great news about Bonnare in Sept. WE ARE GOING YEAH!!!!!! Hope to see the gang on some dives this summer.
HEY NEXT ARIEL how bout you and i organize a trip to Slates in Key Largo this July a nice weekend trip
whada say :lmao: talk soon NA fdnyjery

Jerry it was great to meet you and I'm DEFINITELY looking forward to diving with you on a trip soon! I guess it will be Roatan or Bonaire in Sept as I'll be diving all over in July.

We still need a dive of the month for July for Florida so if you want to do Slates let me know and I'll get it set up for us. We'll start with 10 divers and go from there...just like we did for the Florida Manatee Dive.

Speaking of which if anyone wants to help organize a Dive of the Month for SD just let me know! We need dive coordinators

Of course we still have some room on the July NC 4th of July trip and this will be the last year we run 3 trips to NC...we have so many great places to see that its getting too hard to do so many trips to my PERSONAL favorite destination...the Graveyard of the Atlantic! :teeth:

formerly...

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

Click here to go to the OceanFest gallery!

#15 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 07:32 PM

Mine are all loaded. I know Jerry has some more of the group on the beach.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users