• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is diving for everyone? Does everyone get it the first time?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:59 AM

Is Diving for Everyone and does everyone 'get it' the first time....

Some people say that 'anyone' can learn to dive. Others will say that its not for eveyone. But its like everything in life...some people do things because they are good at them or they come naturally. Others will want to do something so badly that they will stick with it regardless of how long it takes, how many times they have to repeat it to get it right, how poorly they do and even how imperfect they are doing it when they finally get it.

Not everyone has a great experience the first time thru their dive training. And not everyone gets it the first or even third time thru either parts or the entire program. I for one did NOT do well in my open water class. In fact I did very poorly. I had some previous issues with water that I thought I could overcome just because I wanted to see all the cool stuff under the water. I was however afraid of sharks, low visibility, removing my mask, cold water, rough seas, getting sea sick, currents, having my mask knocked off by a diver accidently, stuff in the water I could get entangled on, removing my mask, getting water up my nose, drowning, and did I mention removing my mask???

All in all I was probably NOT a good candidate for learning to dive. But I did it anyway. You will hear that many people say..."Its not for everyone". You will hear many people say that the material has been streamlined and simplified to allow more people into the sport and you don't learn everything you need. I was the type that clearly benefited from learing the minimum needed to dive and then starting a lifelong training process that continues to this day. You will hear a few people who knew me in the early days say "she'll never pass". And pretty soon I too believed them. I soon felt that I was trying to overcome too many obstacles.

And I was trying to overcome a number of obstacles that I hear many people say they can't learn to dive because they too face one or more of these obstacles...

1. Not being able to swim (correction I could swim until I was tired and then I could not alternate swim strokes to rest and/or float to rest so that I could start swimming again. Basically THAT is what swimming is and I only learned this and therefore HOW to swim last year when I become a DM.)

2. Being claustrophobic...both low light, night dives, swim thrus, and even the water coming up over my head trigged the suffocation feelings. (There are great techniques to overcome all of these!)

3. Being so nearsighted I was practically blind without glasses or contacts and not having a prescription mask. (Again more ways of handling this if you want to overcome.)

4. Being a previous near drowning victim (3 times including a full resusiciation) and therefore deathly afraid of drowning.

5. Being deathly afraid of water going up my nose and yet being a nose breather (I had to practice on land with a nose clip on so I would force myself to breathe thru my mouth.)

6. Being a perfectionist in everything I did and wanting to apply that to diving as well (very unreasonable...passing is passing...it doesn't have to be pretty!)

7. And thinking it was easy for everyone except for me...afterall the rest of my classmates all made it look easy and they were naturals in the water. (Ha...many of those who it was easy for never stuck with it. If you have to work for something you'll always appreciate that effort!)

So yes...I was certainly fighting the odds...but you know what? You can do anything you WANT to do! The beauty of diving is that it doesn't matter how many times you attempt the skills or you fail...you will eventually get them to the point where they are passable and with lots of practice, they are good. IF you want too.

If you think you have to do it right on the first or second or at least by the 3rd time and you don't so obviously diving is not for you...think again. I failed ALL my pool sessions twice flat out. I failed some three times and I failed mask clearing four times. This did not include the number of times I attempted and failed but merely represented the number of times I was officially tested to see if I could do it and then failed. Mind you I had done it on my own but never could perform under pressure. But the beauty is that it doesn't matter IF you want to do it and your will to learn is bigger than your will to 'look good', 'look cool', 'not fail', etc. Oh did I mention that I failed my open water dives twice? Yep...the instructor couldn't pass me doing the same skills I finally did in the pool in the quarry. But you know what? I wanted to keep trying knowing that I could eventually get it and so my instructor kept trying and guess what? I passed. It was not pretty...it was a C- at best and maybe a D...I can't remember the scale...but the important part is that I finally passed!

Then after I was certified I was deathly afraid to dive as an open water diver. So I asked the instructor if I could come and hang out when he did open water certs. That would let me watch more people do the skills and I could keep practicing them. He said yes and I did that for a year. I also started getting to know DM's and Instructors so that I could dive with them by hanging out at a dive shop and local quarry. That way I could worry about myself and I knew they could take care of themselves. Plus I was learning lots everytime I dove with them because I was emulating and imitating them. Ask...you'll be surprised how most instructors and DM's will dive with you to help you build up bottom time. Finally after 300 dives like this...I graduated to diving with a real buddy. One I had to be able to help if they needed help. But by now I was able to take care of myself and be a good buddy. Shortly after that I took Rescue so that I could save myself. And Geek is right...take your Advanced as soon as you can...it helps you be exposed to different diving styles. Or build some skills and take a very advanced class to build your skills. Either way is good.

So for those who said I had no business in the water...its almost 1000 dives later...12 years and I say...I am a very competent diver. I can dive in cold quarrys, warm and cold oceans and seas, do drift diving, current diving, boat diving, wreck diving, deep diving, wall diving, shark and large animal diving, multi-level diving, nitrox diving, dive with or without a computer, dive at night, dive in overhead enviroment, dive in brown and black water like the Swanee and Cooper Rivers, dive with others and dive by myself. I love diving and learning to dive has been my single greatest accomplishment in my life. It has been the hardest thing I've ever attempted and attempted and attempted and it has been the most rewarding. But I am living proof that if you want to do it...you can do it. And look at all the handicapped divers who learn to dive...ANYONE can do it IF they want to do it! Just stick with it and forget what others say...look at what you want. If you WANT to learn to dive...then you can. If you are doing it for someone else then you won't put the effort in that is needed.

But never never never say you can't do it IF you really want to learn to do it. You will always succeed if that is what you want. You may just need to accept success after many attemts. They say that it took over 100 attempts for Thomas Edison to develop the lightbulb. Many of us would have quit after several failures. The beauty of diving is that you know what you are trying to succeed at has been done before. It is simply a test of wills...yours against the system...IF that is what you want!

So use this forum to ask questions...use this forum to get help and encouragement and use this forum to share your struggles and successes! We are all here for you...especially myself so welcome to our diving family and 'jump right in'! -kamala aka wreck wench

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 25 April 2006 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for sharing all of your insights. Great post (of course, I haven't seen any bad posts from you!!!)

My YMCA life-guard instructor was a SCUBA nut, and asked me if I wanted to learn. I did it then as part of my adrenaline-junkie phase of life, explore the unknown, pretend to be JC (Jacques Cousteau), and enjoy narcing myself. I got it the first time, but that was me, not everyone else. Certainly not an expectation for 100% of the population.

I came back to diving largely for my kids, to try and get them interested in outdoor things and lifetime sports/hobbies. Taking my son through his open water and a few trips with him got me thoroughly re-hooked on diving. I think my enthusiasm and travel stories rubbed off on my daughter, who put herself quickly through OW, AOW and Nitrox - all in dark, cold, Texas lakes. A feat I never would have predicted for her. However, they both "got it" right from the start. They had both been water babies and always enjoyed pools & oceans.

Becoming a DM was not so much a goal as a means. I needed more time underwater, and I needed to share the diving experience with others. Since I started though, I've noticed I think I get more out of classes than the students from a personal satisfaction view. It's a vicarious thrill, but a thrill nonetheless. It also gives me an excuse to get wet - "sorry dear, I'm spending the weekend at CSSP because my LDS needs me".

The majority of students I've seen ( around 100 so far ) have "gotten it" within the first pool session. I'd say something like 10-20% have challenges on one or two skills - Mask is a biggie, the water tread is the only time I've seen anyone struggle with swim skills. For some reason snorkel/reg exchange seems to another tough skill for a small number of students. Perhaps 5% struggle with all skills, and they are almost predictable, even during class - high anxiety, high pressure SO / parent, or something else that forced them to be there - perhaps their need to conquer their own demons. As of now, I have only seen one student not "get it" at least to the point of passing. Our LDS has high standards, but is pretty laid back, and will keep people in the pool week after week until they're ready for the lake, and some students have even gone through an extra weekend at the lake. The owner is determined to not pass people who are not ready, and is sensitive to the "typical" diver in our area - who is generally a 1 - 2 trips a year to a nice resort type. The owner wants to make sure they understand and are reasonably competent since they stand a good chance of not diving with him or his staff again. He schedules a small number of trips, but that represents a very small fraction of his former students.

Is it for everyone? I think there must be exceptions, and certainly not something I'd drag someone out of their comfort zone to do. But, with medical clearance, there really isn't any physical reason not to dive.

I don't recommend diving to people who can't "swim", but a large number of folks think that means Olympic endurance / speed, when in reality it's a comfort level in the water that is required. I know some folks have overcome mental obstacles to put their head in the water - I think that's related to claustrophobia, but I could be wrong.

There are people out there I've seen on trips that I wonder "Why are you here? Why are you torturing yourself?" But, I haven't known any well enough to ask that question. Maybe another thread?

WW - thanks again for your great post.

Edited by Capn Jack, 25 April 2006 - 09:47 AM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:07 AM

I don't recommend diving to people who can't "swim", but a large number of folks think that means Olympic endurance / speed, when in reality it's a comfort level in the water that is required. I know some folks have overcome mental obstacles to put their head in the water - I think that's related to claustrophobia, but I could be wrong.

You do have to pass a swim test...but being able to swim and keeping yourself from drowning can be two entirely different things...now they are the same for me. As for 'swimming'...well I certainly can't do any one stroke for very long...and I don't care. But I can get to my destination and I can stay in the water without drowning so that is all that matters. (Now that I am a DM I can also rescue someone but that is not required to start the sport.)

HOWEVER ALL OF THIS CAN BE LEARNED...so if you can't swim or you swim poorly...then you can learn and you'll still be able to dive. Keep in mind that you won't feel as comfortable in the water as someone who is not afraid. But you can learn if that is what you want to do. I know...I did it.

To this day I don't like water on my face...I don't let the shower hit me in the face and I have learned to handle water on my face diving...ya think??? But I don't enjoy it. However it is a small price to pay to get to see the amazing things we see under water.

And I can't allow water to rise above my head. I have to put my face in it and then descend. This keeps me from feeling like the water is overtaking me or enveloping me...both trigger my claustrophobia. BUT There are work arounds...some that I have mentioned and some that others have come up with. Again if you want to dive and you have no medical reason to prevent you...you can dive.

Anyone else experience any issues with diving that they have overcome and or are trying to overcome? We'd love to hear your experiences...and who knows? You might just help someone. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 26 January 2007 - 09:28 AM

Diving is not for everyone. I do not think we should continue to advertise it as being for everyone, and something that is easy. Diving is just not a good fit for everyone.

However, if you are comfortable in the water, and you do not have health issues to disqualify you as a candidate, there is not much reason that a motivated person can't join the ranks of those who do enjoy it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 26 January 2007 - 01:34 PM

I see too many reasons why diving is not for everyone here at the dive park on Catalina. While I don't always judge a person's physical conditioning based on their apparent weight (heck, I'm no beanpole myself), there are frequent obvious examples of people who should be very concerned about their ability to dive safely.

#6 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 January 2007 - 04:54 PM

I actually had to take my class twice - I took it as a college credit - it was 3 months long - lots of time in the pool. My instructor gave me an A for the class but would not certify me as I was not "comfortable" in the water in his opinion. I am YMCA certified and there is one manuever that you have to do that just killed me - You had to ungear on the bottom of the pool - swim up to the top - get a breath of air and go back down to your gear - grab the reg and gear up. I would get within 12" of that reg and panic - I'd swim 12' up to get to the surface but I couldn't get that reg for fear of running out of breath. SECOND time around I mastered it!!! :evilgrin: I passed with flying colors! I was happy to take the class over because it kept me in the water twice a week and made me much more comfortable all around. I even helped out with the classes the next two years.
Known puker

#7 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 26 January 2007 - 05:52 PM

I am still trying to overcome my fear of bankruptcy which keeps me from diving more and buying all the toys I want - like a rebreather and all the training that goes with it

Edited by Capn Jack, 26 January 2007 - 05:52 PM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:01 PM

Capn

well if you ever go down the darkside trail there will be a few that would follow (see SDM its working, just need more orders/clients to pay for it and the training to get to that level) as it would make the photography of animals alittle easier

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#9 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 26 January 2007 - 06:36 PM

The fear of bankruptcy :evilgrin:

I know it well!

I'm thinking the way to overcome that fear is to sell everything and move South :-D

#10 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 26 January 2007 - 07:07 PM

The Dark Side is calling. :evilgrin:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

<snip>

To this day I don't like water on my face...I don't let the shower hit me in the face and I have learned to handle water on my face diving...ya think??? But I don't enjoy it. However it is a small price to pay to get to see the amazing things we see under water.

And I can't allow water to rise above my head. I have to put my face in it and then descend. <snip>

REALLY?!? I never would have guessed! :-D Well, hell... if you can become a DM, then I guess Course Director is in my future, eh? :usflag:

As someone who took a while to become certified, (for reasons not all my fault I might add), I think what was most important was the desire and motivation that came from within --I didn't take up diving to *please* anyone but myself, but also important was the support/encouragement I received from others. Primarily members from SD. :evilgrin: I think what helped most was hearing and reading about others and their assorted struggles. I suspected I wasn't the only one, and it helped immensely to know it.

#12 jeff

jeff

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Cert Level:ow plus
  • Logged Dives:120

Posted 28 January 2007 - 12:30 AM

I never had any problems in class or while diving. I did hyper ventilate or breath heavy once, but the gear was tight and it was my first time back in the water after a decade.

And once, at band camp, well it was boy scout summer camp, I only got basic swimmer at the swim test because I couldn't turn around and swim back, but I was like 11 and never swam much before, but thats why I scuba, I take my air with me :D

I think scuba should be Available for everyone, they never know until they try. I bet the right calm patient instructor could certify anyone, I bet a bad instructor can scare someone off too that could have been a great diver.

Edited by jeff, 28 January 2007 - 12:36 AM.

jeff aka nice-diver

#13 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 28 January 2007 - 08:45 AM

Is it for everyone? I think there must be exceptions, and certainly not something I'd drag someone out of their comfort zone to do. But, with medical clearance, there really isn't any physical reason not to dive.

I suspect the limitation is psychological rather than physical. I know one woman who freaks if her face gets wet. To the point where she has to have a towel beside the sink when she washes her face with a wash cloth. If she cannot grab that to dry her face immediately there is a strong reaction. Obviously, losing a mask at any depth would be beyond her capabilities.

If someone is physically capable (and medically cleared as you point out) and has the motivation, then there is no obstacle to diving. However, they have to have that base desire to dive.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts

Posted 19 March 2007 - 08:49 AM

You'll never convince someone who doesn't want to dive to dive. Or if you do...it will be a very rough road.

However I've met numerous people who say they CAN'T dive because of one limitation or another. Truth of the matter is that I had or have many of those limitations...

1. fear of water/drowning
2. dislike of water on my face (ok in diving now...not so ok in the shower) I know... :P
3. claustrophobia
4. vision problems
5. can't clear skin diving (but I can clear on scuba)
6. afraid of sharks and other creatures in the sea that I knew were going to eat me (now I realize that they rarely bother divers and usually only if they have a string of fish that they have caught and won't share!)

Other percieved limitations include:

1. loss of hearing
2. loss of sight
3. loss of limbs
4. even muscular dystrophy...think Matt the Wonder Boy

However HSA Handicapped Scuba Association has proven time and time again that even with physical limitations you can safely learn to dive.

So the bottom line is still the same....if you WANT to dive there is very little reason you can't...barring certain health issues.

But just because you have some problems the first time...or even the 3rd or 4th time...don't give up if this is something you want to do. Diving will last you the rest of your life...so taking some extra time to get it right is just fine!

I know...I had too! :P

formerly...

#15 moonkite44

moonkite44

Getting started

• Pip
  • 6 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:28

Posted 15 April 2007 - 08:53 AM

But just because you have some problems the first time...or even the 3rd or 4th time...don't give up if this is something you want to do. Diving will last you the rest of your life...so taking some extra time to get it right is just fine!

Reading through these posts couldn't come at a better time! Almost through my OW cert class and I'm wondering if I'm the only one that's having a hard time getting the hang of it. Then I happen to come across this post!!

Mask clearing, regulator sharing, etc. aren't a problem, it's that dang buoyancy control thing that is aggravating the life out of me! The other guy in my class is so comfortable doing everything, I'd swear he almost could be taking a nap. (However, I have a strong suspicion this may not be his first class. but he won't admit to it)

Seeing him knock all skills (including buoyancy control) right out of the park the first time is discouraging to me, but reading how others had a little difficulty too gives me a bit more confidence that I just need to practice, practice, practice. And once I do 'get it', it will be that much more rewarding. Thanks for such a good post at the RIGHT time (for me, at least)!!!! :cheerleader:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users