• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Great Pufferface Fish

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 28 May 2004 - 12:08 PM

I've noticed that when I dive (especially the deeper ones), my skin gets a little puffy after I get out of the water. It goes away after a bit and there is no discomfort, just seems like my body needs to re-adjust the pressure. I've never been bent and I'm careful about my ascent rates. Anyone else have this problem?
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#2 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 28 May 2004 - 01:34 PM

hood head maybe?? does it happen in warm water too?

i find i crave salty foods when when i dive. like there's not enough salt in the water already....

#3 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 May 2004 - 07:07 PM

I've noticed that when I dive (especially the deeper ones), my skin gets a little puffy after I get out of the water.  It goes away after a bit and there is no discomfort, just seems like my body needs to re-adjust the pressure.  I've never been bent and I'm careful about my ascent rates.  Anyone else have this problem?

Question: since you're diving deep, you're in colder water, right? Are you coming up to the surface in much warmer temperatures or into wind? If so, you may have a much milder form of what I have- acquired cold urticaria. I posted this a while ago but check this out: Acquired Cold Urticaria,
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#4 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 29 May 2004 - 08:19 AM

Sorry, can't remember if you're diving with a dry suit or not...
Typically up here, dry suits, it's due to the neck seal being too tight..
Some divers with a new neck seal look like their eyes are going to pop out.. boarding on a danger point...

If not dry, then something similiar? compression a little tight?
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#5 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 29 May 2004 - 09:54 AM

acquired cold urticaria.

OH MY GOD!!!!

NOT THE DREADED COLD WATER URTICARIA!!!!!!!!!

(kidding, 'licious!!! you know yo' sistuh LUVS ya :usflag: )

#6 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 29 May 2004 - 10:12 AM

Well it all relates back to Phaterius Blotonae, better known as the Puffer Fish.  Just like all other vital functions within the human (and in this case sub-aquarian) body when certain necessities such as water, heat or oxygen is deminished the body protects itself and stores excess supplies.  In the case of "puffy face" syndrome the body has detected a diminishing supply of oxygen (caused by the added pressure found at depth) and has taken steps to store as much excess O2 as close to the part of the body where oxygen is most vital, the brain.  Also, as with the Puffer Fish people tend to get scared of what they look like upon exiting the water (Flat hair, mask ring around the eyes, wetsuit stuck in all the wrong places....) so they "puff" up as to look more intimidating so that others will not make fun of them. 

#7 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:05 PM

Well it all relates back to Phaterius Blotonae, better known as the Puffer Fish.  Just like all other vital functions within the human (and in this case sub-aquarian) body when certain necessities such as water, heat or oxygen is deminished the body protects itself and stores excess supplies.  In the case of "puffy face" syndrome the body has detected a diminishing supply of oxygen (caused by the added pressure found at depth) and has taken steps to store as much excess O2 as close to the part of the body where oxygen is most vital, the brain.  Also, as with the Puffer Fish people tend to get scared of what they look like upon exiting the water (Flat hair, mask ring around the eyes, wetsuit stuck in all the wrong places....) so they "puff" up as to look more intimidating so that others will not make fun of them. 

Who you trying to kid here, 'Chie- this has you written all over it!! :welcome:

(BTW- 2 short little weeks, girls & boys...)
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#8 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:28 PM

Thanks all for the info. I never noticed it before in tropical water so it may indeed be cold-related. I dive a 7 mil Farmer John here and the neck is definitely not too tight. I know my hood's not too tight either because I collect air in the hood from exhalation.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:29 PM

You really need to quit your day job and write for a living!

#10 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:29 PM

acquired cold urticaria.

OH MY GOD!!!!

(kidding, 'licious!!! you know yo' sistuh LUVS ya :-D )

:dltears: Promise???
Marvel

Posted Image

#11 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:28 PM

I know my hood's not too tight either because I collect air in the hood from exhalation.

what...you got a blow hole, j? :welcome:

#12 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:29 PM

acquired cold urticaria.

OH MY GOD!!!!

(kidding, 'licious!!! you know yo' sistuh LUVS ya :pray: )

:dltears: Promise???

even with a rash, girlfriend! :welcome:

#13 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 11:27 PM

I know my hood's not too tight either because I collect air in the hood from exhalation.

what...you got a blow hole, j? :2cool:

Some would swear so!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users