• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

So Cal Critter of the Month, April: Lingcod

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 April 2006 - 11:31 PM

Not Your Lucy Liu Ling (Cod)

Recently I described the bat sea star observed while on my deepest Catalina dive off Ship Rock. The subject of this week's column, the lingcod, was also observed on that dive but during one of my off-gassing safety stops near 60 feet. I rarely see lingcod off Catalina because they are a colder water fish. I prefer to dive the "warmer" waters between Long Point and the East End, and at shallower depths than lingcod are normally seen here. I have often observed and filmed them in shallower waters off the northern Channel Islands where the cold, south-flowing California Current has a pronounced effect.

Although lingcod are also known simply as Ling, they are not named after the character Lucy Liu played on "Allie McBeal." She (sigh) is much more attractive than these rather ugly looking fish (and could be my dive buddy any time)! According to Dr. Milton Love (whose book is a major source of information on fish), other common names include cultus, blue cod, greenlinger. slinky linky, kin matsu (in Japan) and bacalao (in Mexico).

Lingcod are known from Ensenada in northern Baja to as far north as the western Aleutian Islands in Alaska and possibly the Bering Sea. They are a bottom dwelling species that has been observed from the intertidal to depths in excess of 1,500 feet. Because they prefer colder water, they are most often found at deeper depths (> 100 ft.) in the southern part of their range which includes Catalina. Scientific studies have shown that lingcod prefer water temperatures under 50 degrees which explains why I rare see them! I prefer them over 70 degrees although my new wetsuit and vest make me quite toasty even in the low 50's.

Lingcod are long, somewhat slender fish that are almost eel-like in shape. They may reach lengths up to five feet and live for 20 years. The body color can be quite variable in this species. It may range from a very dark black or brown to lighter shades of green, with lighter spots frequently observed. When you face off with a lingcod underwater, they look quite vicious since the mouth is full of sharp canine teeth (somewhat like mine).

This species becomes sexually mature at approximately 20-24" in length off central California although the actual size may vary elsewhere in its range. Females tend to grow faster than males, so they are usually mature at a larger size than males born in the same year. Unlike humans, the males don't catch up and out-distance the ladies with a spurt of growth after sexual maturity. Females may produce several thousand to nearly half a million eggs each season. Timing of mating is very dependent on what part of their range you are in. In our waters eggs are laid in protected crevices or caves during winter with the peak from late December to early February in nests up to 2 1/2 feet wide. The eggs start off pink in color but later turn white.

The male guards the eggs for 2-3 months until they hatch. There are a number of potential predators on the eggs, so the male has to pay attention throughout that period. Egg predators may include snails, crabs and other fish. Some of these may find themselves ending up as food for the hungry male. Once hatched, the larvae enter the open water and swim or drift with the currents until they settle to the bottom. By the time they celebrate their first birthday they are about one foot long and reach a length of one yard in 7-10 years.

Young lingcod up to about 3" swim in the open water but settle to the bottom as they grow. They may be found in a wide range of habitats including soft bottoms, bays and eelgrass beds. Adults are typically found on soft bottoms in deeper waters, but may move into rocky bottom and reef areas as they age. According to Dr. Milton Love , males appear to prefer shallower depths than females. Now I don't want any of the ladies reading this to interpret that as meaning the males are "shallower" in general!

From the canines you can probably guess that this fish is not some "namby pamby" (what does that mean anyway?) vegetarian, but a voracious carnivore like me. They will eat almost any fish that wanders their way (I'm more selective) as well as squid and octopuses. In turn, they are eaten by marine mammals including the California sea lion, and at least one semi-aquatic marine mammal who is an occasional dive buddy of mine (right, Tim!).

They are also popular with recreational fishers using hook-and-line in addition to spear fishers. In the northern part of our state, lingcod may account for up to 7% of the recreational catch. The flesh of some lingcods is green in color, but that disappears upon cooking. Native American tribes also ate this fish regularly as evidenced by their bones in kitchen middens.

Posted Image

Edited by drbill, 27 April 2006 - 11:37 PM.

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,612 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 April 2006 - 05:55 AM

WOW! This is really cool! I am really wanting to see one of these! What a great idea to do a So Cal creature of the month! :flirt:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 28 April 2006 - 08:34 AM

Thank you, WW. Dive_Girl suggested it and I thought it was a great idea. Have just been swamped lately finishing up my "Playful Pinnipeds: California Sea Lions" and "Black Sea Bass" DVD's for the summer season.

#4 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 30 April 2006 - 09:41 PM

WOW! This is really cool! I am really wanting to see one of these! What a great idea to do a So Cal creature of the month! :teeth:

Well one of the nice things is that they are territorial and thus easy to find up here...of course been terrritorial they have been known to be aggressive especially when guarding eggs.

#5 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 01 May 2006 - 06:14 AM

Very nice write-up. Thanks.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#6 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 01 May 2006 - 07:58 PM

You definitely find some at the larger end of the size range up here.

#7 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 02 May 2006 - 06:06 AM

Lings.... heheh.. I'd prefer the one on TV...
These things can get huge... and while there protecting their eggs... it's the only time I can get a "Head Shot" as they charge you and will head-butt you... They're all over the place up here and when protected in a UW Park, Edmonds, you can't help but see them.. them and the Cabazons (spell?), Cabs, are a PITA to dive at Edmonds as the vis is most of the time not so good which means you accidently come within "Their Nesting Turf" and they'll charge/head butt you.... and these are not your little Garibalis... heheh.. you accidently come up to a "Big Ole Ling" and it does startle you...
I've called a dive at Edmonds because it's just a PITA getting charged-butted... 12 times.. enough was enough.. LOL..
It's their park now... Park depth is apx 30' flat bottom.

Attached Images

• KeyStn_FishOnRock.jpg
  • EdmondsPk030215_26s.jpg

Edited by fbp, 02 May 2006 - 06:08 AM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#8 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:35 AM

FBP... I, too, have great fondness (or is it lust) for the TV Ling!

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 May 2006 - 09:40 AM

:birthday: drbill! Looks like I was remiss in April. I'll post a critter here shortly for the PNW for May though! Here's my lingcod contribution! :twist:
Posted Image
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users