• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Passport Renewal

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 30 April 2006 - 07:27 AM

I was told by a travel agent that I needed to have 6 months left on my passport to return to the U.S. When I return from my trip I will have 5 months left before expiration. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I have searched the internet but haven't found an answer.

#2 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 April 2006 - 08:35 AM

I was told by a travel agent that I needed to have 6 months left on my passport to return to the U.S. When I return from my trip I will have 5 months left before expiration. Does anyone know if this is true or not? I have searched the internet but haven't found an answer.

I could find nothing on the US State Dept website that indicates this as far as returning to the US--especially if you are a US citizen; I am aware that there is a restriction that many countries appear to have adopted that would prevent you from entering them if your passport will expire in six months or less.

Best bet is to contact the State Department either online or by phone and ask them about it, and where to find the relevent legal stuff.

Platypusman

#3 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 30 April 2006 - 10:01 AM

Hi BlueDreamer,

Good info from PlatypusMan. But exactly where are you visiting? Some countries have a requirement for proof of outbound passage (your ticket) and to enter, your passport needs a miniumum validity from that planned exit date (not the entry date).

A bit confusing, and your travel agent may have simplified with an advisory that your passport needs to be valid for 6 months when you return to the US. This is a good general rule, but if you are close and can't easily renew your passport, you should check the specific countries you are traveling between (or through).

BTW, US citizens can get the scoop fast by checking the Entry/Exit Requirements at the US State Dept "Consular Information Sheet" to the countries you intend to visit.

And its not a bad idea to periodically check in case something changes (and to check it at the other country's state department equivalent).

Edited by ASDmike, 30 April 2006 - 10:42 AM.

'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 30 April 2006 - 06:15 PM

It's not a US State Department requirment, it's the country you are visiting and now many want 6 months remaining on your passport.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 bluedolphin

bluedolphin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • Board Status:Private
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:296

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:09 AM

It's not a US State Department requirment, it's the country you are visiting and now many want 6 months remaining on your passport.

Which essentially makes it a 9 ½ year passport, if you have travel plans around the renewal time. I will have that problem next year, mine expires on October 6, 2007 (give or take a day or so), so essentially I need to renew mine prior to April if I have any out of the country plans or even think I might ( just to be safe), that means doing it around February since it can take up to 8 weeks to get your new passport (given you choose not to pay expiding rush fees)
Happy Diving
Linda
Posted Image

#6 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 02 May 2006 - 10:35 AM

I just renewed mine for the Bahamas live aboard trip. http://www.singlediv...mas live aboard. I paid the extra rush fee just to make sure I wouldn't have a problem.

I received my new passport in about two weeks. I don't know if it would take longer for a first passport versus a renewal, which is what I did.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#7 BlueDreamer

BlueDreamer

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 02 May 2006 - 03:25 PM

I guess I will just renew it early and be done with it.

Thanks to all who replied.

#8 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 May 2006 - 04:11 PM

Great question! It made me locate my passport and do a quick check on the expiration date!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#9 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 02 May 2006 - 08:44 PM

Great question! It made me locate my passport and do a quick check on the expiration date!

The trick is to have a spare or two...hint:if you do it legally there are less hassels

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 May 2006 - 05:49 AM

In the Florida Keys you can always pick up a Counch Republic passport at a gift shop and it never needs to be renewed. :banghead:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users