• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Nitrox Headache anyone?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#16 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:02 PM

So funny that you should post this very informative article when breathing was the main focus of my dive last night- not looking for critters, not covering as much of the reef as possible, but just slow steady, diaphram-based breathing...very Zen-like. :anna:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#17 oatmeal769

oatmeal769

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI IDC Staff Instructor, Tec Trimix
  • Logged Dives:1000 +

Posted 30 May 2004 - 05:52 PM

To me, breathing parameter is one of the core esscences of diving, everything hinges upon it, and it's importance cannot be overstated. It's also why I tell people that perhaps the most useful scuba class I ever took wasn't a scuba class at all.

Performance Freediving does a very intense 4 day seminar for freedivers, and anyone interested in breath hold diving. To be able to literally add a full minute onto my longest breath hold record in just the first day was incredible. The techniques and excercises I learned vastly influenced all of my aquatic pursuits. It's brilliant!
Jeff Schoonover
www.jetharness.com

#18 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 30 May 2004 - 06:16 PM

ZD - When lifting do you get more benefit if you are breathing deeply?
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#19 CuriousMe

CuriousMe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 83 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:180+

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:01 PM

Breathing from my diaphragm has definitely helped my diving. I was fortunate to grow up playing trumpet (and other assorted brass instruments) in this crazy thing called Drum Corps. So basically, we were playing complicated music on brass instruments while jazz running across a football field for a 13 minute show. (yeah, I was a weird kid). This meant I spent years doing breathing exercises, both to control the lung volume we had but also we were constantly doing exercises to increase our lung volume.

In turned out to be a great thing for my diving, I automatically started diaphragmatic breathing underwater. My only problem in the beginning was that my breathing was to slow and controlled (well they said deep, slow breaths....so that's what I did). I was getting wicked, bad C02 headaches for the first 10 or so dives before I figured it out. I had to consciously speed up my breathing a bit. I haven't had that problem since then.

Peace,
Cathie
"Some of it's magic, some of it's tragic
But I had a good life all the way."

He Went to Paris, Jimmy Buffett

DeColores

#20 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 30 May 2004 - 07:59 PM

Breathing from my diaphragm has definitely helped my diving. I was fortunate to grow up playing trumpet (and other assorted brass instruments) in this crazy thing called Drum Corps. So basically, we were playing complicated music on brass instruments while jazz running across a football field for a 13 minute show. (yeah, I was a weird kid). This meant I spent years doing breathing exercises, both to control the lung volume we had but also we were constantly doing exercises to increase our lung volume.

In turned out to be a great thing for my diving, I automatically started diaphragmatic breathing underwater. My only problem in the beginning was that my breathing was to slow and controlled (well they said deep, slow breaths....so that's what I did). I was getting wicked, bad C02 headaches for the first 10 or so dives before I figured it out. I had to consciously speed up my breathing a bit. I haven't had that problem since then.

Peace,
Cathie

Aha! Another band geek! :cool1: Plus, I was in chorus. Breathing is definitely critical & that kind of background is very useful for diving. Add a few years of martial arts, cycling, & even competative pool to make me more aware of breathing. As soon as my anxiety level goes up, I immediately try to focus on my breathing & slowing it down because, for me, my breathing is about the first sign that I am not happy with something- I often notice a change in breathing before conciously recognizing that something is wrong.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#21 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 01 June 2004 - 01:57 PM

Not really sure dear, I have never tried breathing deeply while lifting. I honestly don't feel that it would benefit you in any way. While lifting, I follow the following rules:

Pushing movements: Exhale as you thrust and inhale during the negative part of the movement.

Pulling exercises:, Is just the opposite: exhale on the pull. Just remember to exhale on the exertion, pushing all your breath out from deep down, much like in karate when you go to strike an opponent." The one exception to this rule are exercises that have a very slow movement and don't call for much energy. "For example, "Seated concentration curls. It doesn't matter how you breathe, as long as you don't hold your breath. But anytime you're going to have to spend a lot of energy, anytime you have to grunt to complete the movement - the breathing technique must be correct."

Hope this makes sense.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#22 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 01 June 2004 - 03:12 PM

Thanks ZD!!!
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#23 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:34 PM

Not really sure dear, I have never tried breathing deeply while lifting. I honestly don't feel that it would benefit you in any way. While lifting, I follow the following rules:

Pushing movements: Exhale as you thrust and inhale during the negative part of the movement.

Pulling exercises:, Is just the opposite: exhale on the pull. Just remember to exhale on the exertion, pushing all your breath out from deep down, much like in karate when you go to strike an opponent." The one exception to this rule are exercises that have a very slow movement and don't call for much energy. "For example, "Seated concentration curls. It doesn't matter how you breathe, as long as you don't hold your breath. But anytime you're going to have to spend a lot of energy, anytime you have to grunt to complete the movement - the breathing technique must be correct."

Hope this makes sense.

-ZD

Oh it does...it would just take an aweful lot for me to get dragged into a gym again.... Last time it took regular appointments with a personal trainer! If I pay for something, I'm darn well gonna use it! :-D 'Course, I sure did...aw, nevermind- just thinking out loud again.
Marvel

Posted Image

#24 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 01 June 2004 - 06:47 PM

Exhale as you thrust....
exhale on the pull...

Got it

Edited by nextariel, 01 June 2004 - 06:48 PM.

Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#25 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 01 June 2004 - 07:04 PM

Diving Nitrox cannot increase the chance for a "divers headache." If anything, the extra O2 should decrease any other headache causes.

The most common causes have already been covered here, but I think the most common is quick, shallow breathing - as you get an increase in CO2 from the increased exposure to "dead air" or used air still in you airway.

BTW, Skip Breathing is not inhaling until you have to do so - a bad practice used by some to try to extend a tank. Deep, regular breathing is best. Pause Breathing is waiting a few second with full lungs before exhaling but with airway open in case of expansion from ascent; this gives more time for osmosis exchange of O2 and CO2 in the lungs, extending the use of a tank fill.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#26 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 02 June 2004 - 08:22 AM

Exhale as you thrust....
exhale on the pull...

Got it

No no no....nextariel, it changes depending on your movements, whether it be a pushing method or a pulling method.

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#27 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 02 June 2004 - 09:01 AM

But anytime you're going to have to spend a lot of energy, you have to grunt to complete the movement
Hope this makes sense.

-ZD

Perfect sense.
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#28 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 October 2004 - 06:02 PM

Sounds like dirty air to me. There's a surprising amount of it around. If it's a place you regularly get air ask to see their current air purity certificate. It should be on the wall somewhere visible. If they can't produce it or if it's not current walk away and never go back.

On breathing technique, take a tip from Tom Mount. He's the head of IANTD and an undisputed diving guru. He actively practices yoga and meditation regularly, and has the most incredibly low air consumption. At well over 60 he is also still an amazing free diver. He regards proper breathng as one of the most important skills a diver has to learn, and one that you never stop learning.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users