• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

July 4th NC Dive

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#1 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 May 2006 - 02:46 PM

...I mean the U-boat! Sheesh, what dirty minds.

Seriously, is anyone planning on going inside the U-352? I was planning on a penetration through the control room aft to the gallley and battery room; and if time permits (or I don't make it aft), spend sometime forward near the radio room. I have a boat schematic if anyone else is interested.

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:42 PM

I'd love to see the schematic. Yes, I plan on penetrating. So does DiverBrian and Dive_Girl. If WreckWench isn't busy, she will be there, too. Sounds like it will get crowded in there. :wakawaka:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:43 PM

yeppers - I am interested and will likely be right behind my dive buddy!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 May 2006 - 05:55 PM

well i wouldnt mind looking at the plans but i probably wouldnt be interested in this (i dont mind tight spaces but maybe another time). I will however be there to take some pictures of those that go through.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#5 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 09 May 2006 - 07:50 PM

I'll scan the interior scematic in and see if I can post it. The sub is tight and silty, but interesting.

I don't have a buddy so I may see if I can team up with someone else on the same schedule, or be the third man in the team depending. Either way it seems like a fun trip...plus I can break the scooter in right!

#6 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 May 2006 - 10:27 PM

If you could have the drawings available the night before we go in, that would help. Hopefully, I won't have an issue getting my doubles through.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#7 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:48 AM

Brian, don't forget that rope that'll be tied to your butt too!!
Sempar Partus!!

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 08:49 AM

I didn't know we had that many overhead trained divers here.

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 10 May 2006 - 10:19 AM

After diving for 15 years, you tend to branch out a little in training and dive environments.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 11:08 AM

Yea I guess you do. Hopefully, by next fall, I'll have taken at least my first cave classes and maybe a basic wreck class out of the way.

It's nice to know that I could find some dive buddies here that might really be interested in doing some wreck dives.

#11 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 12:39 PM

Well, we have tons of big deep well-preserved wrecks in our waters. Two of the more well known are the Cape Breton (410' in length, 60' deep at the radio tower, and about 130-140' deep at sea floor - although you can get deeper actually inside the wreck) and the HMCS (<- corrected) Saskatchewan (366' in length, about 60' deep at the radio tower, and about 130' deep at sea floor). Best viz is in the winter, so water temps are in the low 40s - so come on up!

I do wonder though, how these compare to the Great Lakes diving Brian does. Now that has to be some hairball diving at times!! Brian, I may have to make it out there for a long weekend this Fall!

What we don't have ready access to are caverns and caves. That's why 3 years ago I headed to FL to experience caverns in comparison to wreck pentration diving. Speaking of the FL area, Howard, you'll have to tell us if you find any caverns in the blue hole I hope you dive at the end of the month!

I'm really looking forward to expanding wreck diving to the other coast in July! Howard, Brian & Vinny, I can't wait! I am also looking forward to all the historical info surrounding the wrecks we dive.

#12 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:04 PM

Well, we now will have a good excuse for you to visit again. Freshwater springs, caves, caverns, and now the only aircraft carrier in the US. And if you want to head deep.. visit the USS Ozark off Destin. 330' to the sand :birthday:

I'll see that one on a rebreather one day. But it's gonna be a loooong time! :birthday:

#13 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:07 PM

Well, we have tons of big deep well-preserved wrecks in our waters. Two of the more well known are the Cape Breton (410' in length, 60' deep at the radio tower, and about 130-140' deep at sea floor - although you can get deeper actually inside the wreck) and the HMCS (<-corrected) Saskatchewan (366' in length, about 60' deep at the radio tower, and about 130' deep at sea floor). Best viz is in the winter, so water temps are in the low 40s - so come on up!

Not to get picky but....
1)I didn't realize you're Canadian,both those wrecks are in Canadian waters
2)I didn't realize the US navy had a boat named after a Canadian city,that should be HMCS Saskatchewan

#14 rekdivr

rekdivr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 30 posts
  • Board Status:In Town
  • Cert Level:Course Director, Technical Instructor, Trimix Diver
  • Logged Dives:1300+

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

Hey i have been inside the 352 3 or 4 times, it is a nice penetration, i went in forward of the conning tower, i will tell you that it certainly is tight, and real silty, i had a muddy mud skipper behind me one time and it sure made a nice 0 vis exit. I wouldnt try to penetrate with more than a buddy team per entry point, turning around can be challenging when in a buddy team, but it certainly is fun. I would love to see those schematics.

Enjoy the dive.

Chris :birthday:
a mind once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions

a survivor when asked, " dont you know when to give up", responds with an emphatic NO!

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 10 May 2006 - 01:20 PM

Not to get picky but....
1)I didn't realize you're Canadian,both those wrecks are in Canadian waters
2)I didn't realize the US navy had a boat named after a Canadian city,that should be HMCS Saskatchewan

1. Since I have to drive 3+ hours to get to any diveable water, the PNW waters are home to me, so that includes your fabulous waters. While it's not in my backyard (5 hrs), I enjoy diving there, but I'm more than happy to recuse myself from further promoting Canadian waters, sorry?
2. Doh - quick typing leads to embarassing mistakes. It's been corrected. I'm just happy I spelled Saskatchewan! :birthday:

Back on topic, I'll look forward to seeing your scan Vinny. Thank you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users