• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Welcome Wakatobi Resort & Pelagian Dive Yacht!

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 28 May 2006 - 09:25 AM

:cool2: Well...can I go in September? Does not look like East Timor is the most welcoming country right now...can I go from Bali to Sulawesi then direct to Singapore...I think I will book this!...I'll probably live longer.....Kim or Kamala get back to me ASAP as I need to change my East Timor flights from Bali.

I'll find out the availability from Henrik and let you know

Kim

#17 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:07 AM

Kim

Kim I am at my home in Temecula right now and headed back to Palm Springs.....I have all my details on my trip in PS...I will let you know my flight schedule etc.....looks like Bali is the hub for Wakatobi...so I would replace that for Timor....keep my Singapore-Bali flights....I will let you know more in a few hours.

Waterphoto....You let WORK interfere with diving plans?????? :o :cool2:
You must endeavor to pursue!

#18 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:12 AM

I believe Bali is the hub.. as I was scheduled to fly from Froggies (North West Side) back to Bali and then down south to Wakatobi.. believe a direct flight? can't remember.. me thinks there was something with Singapore, direct to south side, but don't remember.. a Travel Agent or the S'pore Airlines will have the schedules..

Have fun..
fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#19 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 10:28 AM

Kim

Kim I am at my home in Temecula right now and headed back to Palm Springs.....I have all my details on my trip in PS...I will let you know my flight schedule etc.....looks like Bali is the hub for Wakatobi...so I would replace that for Timor....keep my Singapore-Bali flights....I will let you know more in a few hours.

Waterphoto....You let WORK interfere with diving plans?????? :o :cool2:

Ok, that sounds great!

From what I've read, we only need to get you to Bali...the flight from Denspar to Wakatobi is part of the package with Wakatobi...and the flight is a private charter plane, sounds like your style to me!

and from what Henrik says, September is a great time for diving! The seas are typically smooth, almost no rain and the vis improves throughout the month

You will also need in Indonesian visa, by the way, so we will need to look into how long that takes

Kim

#20 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 12:47 PM

Ok, that sounds great!

From what I've read, we only need to get you to Bali...the flight from Denspar to Wakatobi is part of the package with Wakatobi...and the flight is a private charter plane, sounds like your style to me!

and from what Henrik says, September is a great time for diving! The seas are typically smooth, almost no rain and the vis improves throughout the month

You will also need in Indonesian visa, by the way, so we will need to look into how long that takes

Kim

Kim,

:cool2: I arrive in Bali on Sept 16 diving on the 17th, 18th and touring on the 19th. I'm flying Merpati on the 20th for Timor returning to Bali on the 28th. Departing on the 8:05 pm flight to Singapore. So that would be about 8 nights in Wakatobi and 7 days diving....why do you think I picked Sept to go?????...waters are usually flat and weather is great....LOL

I just got an e-mail from Mark at Dive-Timor....he thinks everything will be OK once all the UN and Aussies are back in....So I am looking at Wakatobi as a contingency. By the end of June or by the Holbox trip at the very latest I will make a decision.

In the meantime....if you could e-mail me the availability for a singlediver, AC room, deposits, costs of the 8 nights and diving pkg in Wakatobi ....I will probably have to eat the Merpati ticket....unless it flies to Wakatobi?....I do like the private jet idea....do you think it is a G-V...I would love to fly in one of those....but it is probably....well the guy comes out and pulls down on the prop to get it started...LOL

Hey...Kim...how about a small SD group in that time frame for Bali & Wakatobi?...I'm sure two or three people will want to go!?...Also are there any openings left for Holbox? I know a couple of people I am trying to talk them into going :o

The Visa you fill out at the Airport...so all set unless anything changed in the last month.

Edited by Travelnsj, 28 May 2006 - 01:00 PM.

#21 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 02:40 PM

Ok, that sounds great!

Kim

Kim,

:cool2: I arrive in Bali on Sept 16 diving on the 17th, 18th and touring on the 19th. I'm flying Merpati on the 20th for Timor returning to Bali on the 28th. Departing on the 8:05 pm flight to Singapore. So that would be about 8 nights in Wakatobi and 7 days diving....why do you think I picked Sept to go?????...waters are usually flat and weather is great....LOL

I just got an e-mail from Mark at Dive-Timor....he thinks everything will be OK once all the UN and Aussies are back in....So I am looking at Wakatobi as a contingency. By the end of June or by the Holbox trip at the very latest I will make a decision.

In the meantime....if you could e-mail me the availability for a singlediver, AC room, deposits, costs of the 8 nights and diving pkg in Wakatobi ....I will probably have to eat the Merpati ticket....unless it flies to Wakatobi?....I do like the private jet idea....do you think it is a G-V...I would love to fly in one of those....but it is probably....well the guy comes out and pulls down on the prop to get it started...LOL

Hey...Kim...how about a small SD group in that time frame for Bali & Wakatobi?...I'm sure two or three people will want to go!?...Also are there any openings left for Holbox? I know a couple of people I am trying to talk them into going :o

The Visa you fill out at the Airport...so all set unless anything changed in the last month.

Scott,

I"ll email you the details and you can make your decision when you have more information about East Timor

and there is at least 1 spot open for Holbox...there may be another as I may not be able to go after all, we have a major release going out to our client and I may have to stay in Dallas to support that

#22 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 28 May 2006 - 07:06 PM

Scott,

I"ll email you the details and you can make your decision when you have more information about East Timor

and there is at least 1 spot open for Holbox...there may be another as I may not be able to go after all, we have a major release going out to our client and I may have to stay in Dallas to support that

:cool2: What? No Holbox? :cool1: ...Kim try and trade that Labor day thing...Do Holbox....This will be a great adventure with the Whalesharks....and I am bringing a couple of bottles of that Almond Champagne...you like so much :o

Do not PM me with the Wakatobi info....as I do not recieve notifications....please e-mail me. Thanks

#23 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 29 May 2006 - 09:04 AM

From their Wesite
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There have in the past been travel warnings to Indonesia. Is it safe in the area around Wakatobi?
Yes. Though several areas of Indonesia (an enormous country spanning over 3,500 miles) have gone through some rough times in the past few years, many other areas - that are separate from the trouble spots - remain very safe to visit.

The situation in Bali and Wakatobi (your only two stopovers) is that of peace, friendliness and stability.

People are often a little hesitant before they come here but immediately upon arriving they discover how calm and happy they feel here.

Not going to Wakatobi due to safety concerns in other parts of Indonesia is like avoiding Orlando because of crime problems in New York! The two places are far, far away from each other and a problem in one place doesn't really translate to a problem in the other.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#24 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 23 June 2006 - 08:28 PM

I ventured to Wakatobi in september of 04. Had one of the most awesome times I've ever had on any dive trip. I have trip report posted somewhere on this board and if you search on Wakatobi you will probably find it. As for whether it's safe or not it's in the middle of nowhere and not exactly a target for terrorists. The reef is the most pristine reef I've ever dived and there are nudibranchs out the ying yang. All kinds all colors not to mention tons of lion fish, cuttle fish, scorpion fish, stone fish, crocodile fish, pipefish, crabs, sea snakes, octopus and much much more. It's not the place to go if you want to see sharks although they are seen there. The diving on the house reef is some of the best shore diving you will ever do any where. I spent one night dive in about 25 feet of water and never moved more then 30 feet and saw so much it blew me away. There were so many decorator crabs and flat worms and the colors. If I had to say one word about Wakatobi it would be "Brilliant". If you get a chance to go there do it. You won't be sorry. I've dived in lot of places and Wakatobi is still in the top 3 if not the best. They do 3 boat dives a day and unlimited shore dives. The boat dives they say come up after 70 mins but we did a few that were over 75 mins. The shore dives are pretty much as long as you want. I've never met Henrik but I did meet and dive with Lorenz one of the owners and an incredible person to dive with. He will show you things you won't believe.

#25 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 25 June 2006 - 10:08 AM

:birthday: Kim…yesterday I spoke with a company at LB show located in SD (San Diego) who represents Wakatobi. Due to the uncertainty of my trip to East Timor (and several people telling me yesterday…Do not go), Wakatobi is my best option. They said Wakatobi now has 7 and 10 day packages and could probably fit my schedule with other options to get there.

I know our first go around was unsuccessful…but if you could check again…I am scheduled to leave Bali on Sept 20th and have to return to Bali on the 28th for my flight to Singapore….So let me know if there are other options for Wakatobi…..Currently the only other option is the Irian Jaya area (I’m interested in) but it is difficult and expensive to get there from Bali....Wakatobi would be the best...and since Chuck...Likes it so much.... I am assured I will :birthday:

Edited by Travelnsj, 25 June 2006 - 10:30 AM.

#26 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 28 June 2006 - 05:12 PM

And are you planning a trip here in 2007?...wanna save my pennies if so and my vacation days :teeth:

#27 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:22 PM

:birthday: Kim…yesterday I spoke with a company at LB show located in SD (San Diego) who represents Wakatobi. Due to the uncertainty of my trip to East Timor (and several people telling me yesterday…Do not go), Wakatobi is my best option. They said Wakatobi now has 7 and 10 day packages and could probably fit my schedule with other options to get there.

I know our first go around was unsuccessful…but if you could check again…I am scheduled to leave Bali on Sept 20th and have to return to Bali on the 28th for my flight to Singapore….So let me know if there are other options for Wakatobi…..Currently the only other option is the Irian Jaya area (I’m interested in) but it is difficult and expensive to get there from Bali....Wakatobi would be the best...and since Chuck...Likes it so much.... I am assured I will :birthday:

Scott, I'll check for you again and let you as soon as I get a response from the resort

#28 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:53 PM

And are you planning a trip here in 2007?...wanna save my pennies if so and my vacation days :birthday:

we are looking at doing one or the other meaning Palau. We will have a poll soon to see what people want.

#29 novicediver

novicediver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 16 July 2006 - 11:24 AM

whoa, all this talk of terror and beheadings has me concerned but not so concerned that I would miss a great dive trip. HOWEVER, there are things that are relevant and important. First, what is the water temp, second, what type of dive skills are needed, i.e. advanced, intermediate, beginner, novice. Although, I would like to think I am getting better at this, I still best rate my skills as novice with beginner level within reach.
Lastly, if I get beheaded, do you think they will let me remove my stage one so it would not be ruined in the process?
Thanks all. If my skill levels are good enough for the trip, I am interested.

#30 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 16 July 2006 - 12:39 PM

The Denver Post featured an article on Wakatobi in todays paper. Now I want to go more than ever. In reviewing the Wakatobi web site for 2007 it seems that most of the dates are waitlisted.

Does SD have any intention of doing a trip here? If so it seems it would require advanced planning. This place is definitely on my list now and the sooner the better. If SD isn't planning a trip here in 2007 then I'll start checking with the LDSs. Would love an update on SDs plans for Wakatobi.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users