• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Gulf Rig Diving in Galveston, TX - FULL!

• Please log in to reply
117 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 June 2006 - 04:07 PM

*THIS TRIP IS FULL - PLEASE LET US KNOW IF YOU ARE INTERESTED IN A SEPTEMBER TRIP!*

Sorry for the delay in getting this information out. These boat operators are not easy to get a hold of sometimes.

Date of Trip: Saturday, August 5th
Price: $160.00 plus Tip
Leaves out of Galveston
Departure Time: 6:00 a.m.
Operator is The Native Texan: Native Texan

The boat captain also is one of the captains on the Fling. I still need to get the directions. I will post this info as soon as I get it.

You need to bring your own gear, tanks, lunch, snacks, and water. He only provides ice chest and ice. The boat is 27' and can take 5 divers.

If you are interested in this trip, please let me know on this thread when you are sure you will be able to make it. Send your payment to Wreck Wench the usual way, through pay pal or check. Put your screen name and the name of the trip on the memo line of the check.

So...who's up for a day of diving in the Gulf???

Who's Going?

1. TexasStarfish - Trip Leader - (pd)
2. Mermaidlady - (pd)
3. Bubble2Bubble - (pd)
4. JackBSwift - (pd)- Waiver
5. Mitch0129 - (pd)

Anyone have any interest in diving the Rigs this summer? If so, I will put a trip or two together.

I've been on a couple of Rig dives and I have to say that I like them much better than diving in the lakes around here in the Houston area. The vis has been at least 50 ft each time I went or better, and there is an abundance of marine life.

The one day trips usually run anywhere from $150.00 - $200.00 depending on what operator you go with. Some leave out of Galveston, some Freeport and some Matagorda. Each time I have gone, the boat trip out to the rig was about an hour and a half, but it would depend on what rig the dive operator is taking you to. If you're prone to seasickness, take precautionary measures. The boats hold from 4 - 6 divers. You bring your own lunch, they usually provide water, you bring your own gear and tanks, some will rent you tanks. You get two dives with a one hour surface interval, there is one operator that I know of who will let you stay for three dives if you want. Sometimes they will take you to different rigs for each dive, mostly it's the divers preference. They usually leave from 8 - 10 am and get back in around 5 - 7 at night.

Anyone else who has been on these trips, please tell us your experiences.

Post here if you think you would be interested and about what time frame.

#2 adiver42

adiver42

Getting started

• Pip
  • 23 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, started Divemaster but work got busy. Interested in trying again.
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 09 June 2006 - 08:01 PM

With my summer schedule a short trip like that might be a good way to get wet. I am interested. I can get to Houston pretty easy. Tell me more. :teeth:
adiver42 Life is ultimatly a fatal enterprise. Have fun while you can!

#3 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 10:01 PM

Anyone have any interest in diving the Rigs this summer? If so, I will put a trip or two together.

I've been on a couple of Rig dives and I have to say that I like them much better than diving in the lakes around here in the Houston area. The vis has been at least 50 ft each time I went or better, and there is an abundance of marine life.

The one day trips usually run anywhere from $150.00 - $200.00 depending on what operator you go with. Some leave out of Galveston, some Freeport and some Matagorda. Each time I have gone, the boat trip out to the rig was about an hour and a half, but it would depend on what rig the dive operator is taking you to. If you're prone to seasickness, take precautionary measures. The boats hold from 4 - 6 divers. You bring your own lunch, they usually provide water, you bring your own gear and tanks, some will rent you tanks. You get two dives with a one hour surface interval, there is one operator that I know of who will let you stay for three dives if you want. Sometimes they will take you to different rigs for each dive, mostly it's the divers preference. They usually leave from 8 - 10 am and get back in around 5 - 7 at night.

I'm in... It looks like I won't be making it to the july 4th florida trip so around then would be great for me.
I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the aikipokey and throw you all about :D

#4 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 09 June 2006 - 11:28 PM

I'm in... It looks like I won't be making it to the july 4th florida trip so around then would be great for me.

That is if they don't inexperienced people :banghead:
I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the aikipokey and throw you all about :D

#5 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 12 June 2006 - 05:34 AM

That is if they don't inexperienced people :cool2:

Personally, I think it's a good dive for new divers as long as the water is not unusually rough. You stay within the confines of the rig, so there isn't any navigation required. Unless you get away from the rig, which is not likely unless there are strong currents.

Anyone else interested?

#6 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:31 AM

Depending on timing, I am interested. My daughter and her boyfriend might also be interested in going.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#7 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

Yeah I am up for it.. Since I am using up all my vacation on Roatan and the Flower Gardens trip, I think a short weekend excursion or 1 day trip is about all I can do.
"Love What You Do.....Do What You Love."

#8 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:59 AM

That is if they don't inexperienced people :birthday:

Personally, I think it's a good dive for new divers as long as the water is not unusually rough. You stay within the confines of the rig, so there isn't any navigation required. Unless you get away from the rig, which is not likely unless there are strong currents.

Anyone else interested?

COUNT ME IN!!!!!! :P

I LOVE rig diving :)
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#9 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:21 PM

I'm in... Never been rig diving before. Would love to check it out. I should be free the rest of my weekends until school starts back up.... Not including the Flower Garden Trip.

:cool2:

#10 bjknight64

bjknight64

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced And Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:many

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:33 PM

i could make this happen, and a friend of mine would like to go too. I just got back from Belize, yesterday but im not diving again till September in Spain so i need to do something in between.

Any of you guys in houston Spear fishermen?? :cool2:

#11 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:47 PM

i could make this happen, and a friend of mine would like to go too. I just got back from Belize, yesterday but im not diving again till September in Spain so i need to do something in between.

I don't know about anyone here but there are some spear fishermen at chum... you can also join us for local lake dives... Twin Lakes, Blue lagoon, and 288 lake... Not the best dives but atleast you're underwater

#12 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 12 June 2006 - 01:58 PM

I do, but only by Bahamian rules: freedive with a pole spear. (spear guns spook me)
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#13 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:20 PM

Sandy, you know I am in! Just let us know!
-Mitch-

#14 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,621 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:25 PM

Great response so far...we are working on getting a Houston Dive of the Month going and of course 1 day rig dives are a great way to get that started!

I'll work with Sandy to get some more firm dates and pricing. -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#15 bjknight64

bjknight64

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced And Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:many

Posted 12 June 2006 - 03:41 PM

i just got some spear equipment now that is collecting dust, but sometimes wouldnt mind a nice snapper for dinner or an amberjack, i have cought so many on rod and reel that i want to change it up. but i love recreational diving too.

I have been meaning to go check out twin lakes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users