• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How goes your training?

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • Cert Level:SAFER & IAFD Freedive Instructor
  • Logged Dives:Too many to count when you freedive ;-)

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

Thought I would start a new thread to see what people are doing to train for freediving.

I'm currently doing all pool work right now consisting of 32 sets of dynamic apnea (25 meters at the surface, 25 meters underwater with fins equals one set) Every other set has an additional 5 kick cycles while pushing off the bottom and then swimming back to the beginning.

To see how my training has been going, I added an attempt at seeing how far I could do a DWF. Yesterday saw a comfortable PB of 50 meters on a single breath - that included a duck dive down 4 meters to the bottom of the deep section to start the swim (technically 54 meters). A 2 minute relaxed breathe up was done before this attempt.

How goes anyone elses training???

Edited by freedivers, 14 June 2006 - 09:42 AM.

Cliff Etzel
Immersive Video Journalist

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 14 June 2006 - 09:50 AM

I've always been interested in bettering my breath hold, especially when I head to the Bahamas to see my friends who do it every day! I work on my swims underwater a couple months before I go, but nothing formal. Maybe being more formal would be something to look into so I am better prepared.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:05 AM

You will usually find that the hydrostatic pressure from descending and ascending kicks in the MDR after about 20-30 minutes of constant breath hold swimming.

Improved emphasis on good finning technique and proper hydrodynamics will improve your breath hold swimming as well.
Cliff Etzel

"The scuba diver dives to look around. The freediver dives to look inside" Umberto Pelizzari

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:06 AM

Let's talk fins then. I think I have efficient kicks, but I have been in the market for decent long fins
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

LOL - fins, eh?

I originally dove for a number of years with ots plastic fins, but this year saw me transition to glass composite blades and it was like night and day.

I think personally that plastic blades do more harm than good unless they are on the soft side. Depending on your leg strength, you might want to look at the Cressi Gara 3000LF fins - many in Europe are diving these and I have read positive reviews on them. They are more compliant than some of the other plastic fin blades out there. Not sure about the sporasub/mares fins although ESDS here has them - they seem like all the other fins out there - If you can afford them, go with #1(softest) or maybe #2(what I dive) fins from Waterway - they are made in Eastern Europe and are very well made. I have a contact for them - I believe I was quoted 69 euro plus 10 euro shipping. That was for blades only - a little higher with foot pockets (made by OMER)

Edited by freedivers, 14 June 2006 - 10:17 AM.

Cliff Etzel

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:20 AM

you might want to look at the Cressi Gara 3000LF fins - many in Europe are diving these and I have read positive reviews on them.

The problem I found with Cressi fins is when I looked into them they didn't have foot pockets small enough for most women - they were typically made for men. My firend inthe Bahamas was able to fit the smallest foot pocket, but when I put them on and jumped in the water - one just popped right off my foot. Let me tell you how fun it was to tuck and dive with one fin to catch the other before it sank out of reach.

#7 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:23 AM

I have read on more than one occasion this very issue. I have an average mens foot size (9.5-10) and wear a 44-46 foot pocket, but wear a 5mm neoprene sock with them to get a comfortable fit. I think the smallest foot pockets out there are 40-42, I thought I read someplace someone makes a 38-40, but not sure. What size foot do you have???
Cliff Etzel

#8 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:24 AM

you might want to look at the Cressi Gara 3000LF fins - many in Europe are diving these and I have read positive reviews on them.

The problem I found with Cressi fins is when I looked into them they didn't have foot pockets small enough for most women - they were typically made for men. My firend inthe Bahamas was able to fit the smallest foot pocket, but when I put them on and jumped in the water - one just popped right off my foot. Let me tell you how fun it was to tuck and dive with one fin to catch the other before it sank out of reach.

Did you try them with your boots?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:27 AM

They were full foot fins - I don't wear neoprene boots/socks with full foot fins.

I wear a women's size 8.5 - or a men's 6/7

#10 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

I just checked Omer's website and they do list a 38-40 foot pocket - add a 5mm neoprene sock and that might get you were you need to be with sizing... So if you are thinking that route and can afford it, look into the waterway fins... I have been in touch with the president of waterway and he can ship direct to the U.S.

Additional note: Was checking the forums on Deeperblue and the mares fins are not looked upon with much respect. Comments like "Crude Design" are some of the comments. The cressi's have a narrower foot pocket - which is typical for italian feet. I would look into OMER, Picasso or if you can afford it - the waterway fins...

Edited by freedivers, 14 June 2006 - 10:42 AM.

Cliff Etzel

#11 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:45 AM

as an addition to the original start of this thread - The swim underwater is a controlled swim at about 40-50% of max to develop self discipline when contractions start. Very good skill for developing freediving mental discipline
Cliff Etzel

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:24 AM

as an addition to the original start of this thread - The swim underwater is a controlled swim at about 40-50% of max to develop self discipline when contractions start. Very good skill for developing freediving mental discipline

Since most on this site are scuba divers, could you explain the terminology you are using in a little more detail. I personally am getting lost here and there or am making assumptions as to what you mean, but would like to understand more about this sport.

For example, the "40-50% of max" above? Or:

I'm currently doing all pool work right now consisting of 32 sets of dynamic apnea (25 meters at the surface, 25 meters underwater with fins equals one set)

and

To see how my training has been going, I added an attempt at seeing how far I could do a DWF.

and

Yesterday saw a comfortable PB of 50 meters on a single breath - that included a duck dive down 4 meters to the bottom of the deep section to start the swim (technically 54 meters).

and

You will usually find that the hydrostatic pressure from descending and ascending kicks in the MDR after about 20-30 minutes of constant breath hold swimming.

#13 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:40 AM

1) 40-50% maximum effort - meaning this is a very steady swim underwater back to the beginning point - it is to learn self discipline when contractions (the urge to breathe) kicks in and to learn not to panic when it becomes more intense.

2) Dynamic Apnea is swimming underwater while holding ones breath - it can be done with or without fins.

3) DWF = Dynamic With Fins :P

4) MDR = Mammalian Dive Reflex

5) The 25 meters at the surface is a slow to moderate swim on the surface, then perform a technically perfect duck dive to descend down, then slowly swim back 25 meters to the starting point. The even numbered sets include the descent and then pushing off the bottom and kicking 5 complete kick cycles - which equates to descending to 10 meters and then swimming back at the 40-50% effort.

6) PB = Personal Best of 50 meters dynamic apnea with fins. In otherwords, I did a complete 50 meters clean (meaning no loss of motor control, no shaking, no blacking out) when completing the 50 meter breath hold swim with fins.

Sorry for not explaining the lingo
Cliff Etzel

#14 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 14 June 2006 - 11:40 AM

What does MDR mean?

I spend quite a bit of time in the water snorkeling. I won't refer to it as freediving because I spend more time going horizontally as opposed to vertically. The lake I frequent is cold dark and lifeless after about 20 feet, but shallower than that I can have 10 -15 foot of viz.

I own a pair of Mares Quattro Power fins, they are pretty fast, but I use my jetfins more. I am usually doing a casual frog kick, it seems to conserve air. I did get a chance to dive with some freedivers last summer. My jets were able to get me to and from the bottom at 70 feet.

As far as any training goes, I used to swim laps, but had to give it up. The pool I was using went from chlorine to salts. 2 months later, I would have totally blocked sinuses for days after I swam, I stopped using the pool and my sinus problem went away. I believe the salts weren't killing something that I am allergic to.

Here is a picture from last weekend snorkeling.

LargeSnapper.jpg

Not the kind of snapper I generally like to dive into.

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#15 freedivers

freedivers

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 14 June 2006 - 12:02 PM

I think many have a misconception about freediving - freediving isn't about speed, it's about efficiency underwater - one will burn thru their O2 supply quicker and experience lactic acid burn as a direct result.

If you watch freedivers, it is about relaxation. Freedive finning technique isn't like typical scuba finning. There are specific techniques that can only be shown in a clinic/course setting. Even my scuba fins are similar to freedive blades.

Edited by freedivers, 14 June 2006 - 12:03 PM.

Cliff Etzel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users