• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Shark: Mind of a Demon

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 01:34 PM

From the advertisement:

The grandson of Jacques Yves Cousteau presents an unprecedented look at the life of the great white shark in the new special SHARK: MIND OF A DEMON WITH FABIEN COUSTEAU, airing Wednesday, June 28 at 8PM on CBS.

Believing that the great white shark was much maligned and misunderstood, Fabien Cousteau decided to dispel those beliefs by becoming a shark himself. With a team that includes his sister, Celine, Peter Brown, a dedicated environmental activist, Mark Marks, a biologist and shark expert and stuntman/designer Eddie Paul, he built a shark submersible that looks, acts and moves like a shark.

Filming took place over a two-year period in the deep waters off Isla Guadalupe, on the Pacific coast of Mexico, where the team launched their mechanical shark. Inside it, Cousteau was able to be next to great white sharks in the most treacherous waters imaginable: their favorite feeding ground. In this remarkable experiment, Fabien Cousteau takes adventure and exploration to the edge of disaster, but comes away with a journey of exploration his grandfather would have been proud of, 50 years after Jacques Yves Cousteau's own first network television special.

#2 born2dive67

born2dive67

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cert Level:open water, deep water, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:14 mostly class dives with 3 fun dives

Posted 26 June 2006 - 03:30 PM

cool but I doubt if the Armed Forces Network will carry it :banghead:

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 26 June 2006 - 04:24 PM

I have found many Cousteau specials are re-run or available via DVD/VHS!

VERY COOL news bite annasea!!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 26 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

Check out a book 'Close to Shore' isbn 0-7679-0414-1 by Michael Capuzzo.
It is a true account of a great white that was attacking people in 1916.The author provides lots of historical information along with an understanding of what is known about sharks currently.

#5 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:39 AM

On a similar note I'm reading "The Devils Teeth" which is about the great whites at the Farallon Islands. The Farallon Islands are just off the coast from SF. The cool part is that great whites there are largely unharassed. I'm about 2/3 the way through but so far it's a great read.

Scott

:evilgrin:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:34 PM

Fabien was in the same area as we were off Guadalupe 18 months ago filming this while Guy Harvey and I filmed from our cages. Will be very interested in seeing this. Glad that he is following in his father's and grandfather's footsteps. Last time I saw him, he was just a youngun'

#7 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:51 PM

It wasn't so much a documentary about Whites as a documentary about making the shark sub work. A wasted hour, IMO.

Bill, I'd much rather see your film.

Edited by Walter, 28 June 2006 - 07:51 PM.

No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#8 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:45 PM

It wasn't so much a documentary about Whites as a documentary about making the shark sub work. A wasted hour, IMO.

huh, I thought it was a sitcom :wakawaka:

I agree with you Walter, but I still want my very own shark sub! Can't wait to tool around some Texas lakes... :thankyou:
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#9 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:57 PM

Good to know it was a dud since I missed it anyway.

I've got a copy of the good doctor's Munching and Mating in the Macrocystis I could lend you. This may be definitely worth it since it's rated PG!

#10 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:20 PM

I would have to agree. I was not very impressed with it. It was interesting to see Fabien and Celine... they've grown up quite a bit since I saw them in Hilton Head years ago. Hopefully their future documentaries will be better.

#11 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 10:21 PM

I've got a copy of the good doctor's Munching and Mating in the Macrocystis I could lend you. This may be definitely worth it since it's rated PG!

Decided a great DVD, right Caetllonn! Now if I could only sell it to CBS. I think I'll change my name to Dr. Bill Cousteau!

#12 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 June 2006 - 06:12 AM

Right there with ya Walter!
Known puker

#13 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 June 2006 - 07:19 AM

I can't believe they didn't test that sub before hiring a boat and crew and if he was stranded on the bottom twice and they didn't know where he was who was shooting the video of him getting out of the sub and swimming to shore?
It was more about Fabian and the crews ego's than sharks.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#14 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:41 AM

I agree. What did I learn about GWs? Nothing, but at least there was some shark conservation stuff for the unwashed masses.

#15 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 29 June 2006 - 08:47 AM

I can't believe they didn't test that sub before hiring a boat and crew and if he was stranded on the bottom twice and they didn't know where he was who was shooting the video of him getting out of the sub and swimming to shore?
It was more about Fabian and the crews ego's than sharks.

Uh, after the first time, why didn't they put a radio transmitter on that sub like they did the sharks?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users