• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ear Clearing and being a new diver...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

I spoke with a new diver recently who had problems clearing their ears while doing their certification dives. It was uncomforable enough that they are now worried about an upcoming dive trip they have planned. You know, what if they can't clear and the trip is miserable. Fortunately this very savvy diver has hired a private DM to dive with them so that they won't feel pressured if they take more time to clear their ears or they need more time to descend. I thknk that equip with knowledge, an understanding that this is a very common situation and of course the private DM that our new diver will be just fine and have an outstanding trip. But I want to hear from other new divers or other divers who've had ear clearing problems.

Have any other new divers felt the same way?
What did you do to overcome it?
What tricks do you all have for clearing and equalizing better that our new diver might benefit from?

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:28 AM

Kamala,

I had a similar problem when I started diving as well. I can tell you that it does get easier. The things I had to learn were:

a) Don't blow to hard. If it is hard to clear come up a couple of feet and it will be easier to clear.
b) Your descending to fast. This is probably because your excited so just slow down and descend slower.
c) If your not used to clearing your ears that way above the water it does take a while to get your body used to doing it. So practice outside of the water.
d) Be sure you have clean ears. I usually always wash my ears out with an ear syringe just before going on a trip. I have found that this really helps me.

Hope this helps.

Scott

:evilgrin:
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#3 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:32 AM

i have been diving for a while but i still have problems with my right ear in that it clears about 3x slower then the left, and if doing multiple days of diving its gets progressively worse (but hasnt shut completely yet<knock on wood>. I think this fall im going to go see a ENT to see what may be causing these problems. I use the pinch the nose method as well as popping my jaw and yawn to aid in clearing my ears.

my biggest suggestion is to take it slow on descent if you have problems stop clear it then proceed on. to helop me with my problem if im diving multiple days in a row i will use some allergy meds to keep them open, but a word of warning on that in if your ears are not clearing and you took the meds and they wear off you may really have a problem on ascent.

FWIW

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 27 June 2006 - 10:58 AM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#4 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:43 AM

Has this person tried the various methods? I find I can easily clear my left ear by gently try to exhale through a pinched nose, but I need to swallow in order to clear the right.

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:28 AM

According to my doctor, I have teeny tiny Eustachian tubes. Clearing them can be difficult and painful at times. I have had them lock up before dives and while on dives - on teaching dives where I am going at another diver's pace and when they are trying to work out their issues, my ears get cranky and decide to not work with me. I am also prone to ear infections because water gets easily trapped because of my teeny tiny tubes.

So, what to do?

1. Pay attention to your ears before the dive - I sometimes prep my ears in advance, using decongestants (sprays or allergy medications) that I have discussed in length with my doctor. During high allergy seasons, I may have to work with a combination of products - 24-hour Claritin and a 12-hour decongestant, then nasal spray as a back-up that I keep in my dive float. Side note: I use none of these when doing more advanced "technical" dives, however.

2. Pay attention to your ears during the dive - preclear, preclear, preclear - I cannot say it enough. Often times divers wait to clear until the feel pressure. Since I know I have sensitive ears, I preclear before I go down (i.e. "fill my ears up with air" before submerging) and then I clear the whole way down. I keep those tubes open!! Once at depth I do not find that I have difficulty keeping my ears clear (less % of pressure change at that point). Sometimes I also release the hood pressure from my ears (I dive in cold water with a 5mm hood) or I massage my ear and the area below my ear when I am having to work harder with the ears to try and keep surrounding swelling to a minimum. It's during descent when I have had my ears "lock up" on me - so I try to avoid that at all costs - if they lock up once during a dive, I know the rest of my day will be a struggle because it means the tissues are swollen and cranky, which is minor barotrauma.

3. Pay attention to your ears after the dive - I now use swimmers ear (basically a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol and white distilled vinegar) either after my dives or in-between my dives if my ears still feel full of water. Excess trapped water can lead to irritation which causes the surrounding tissues to swell and can eventually lead to ear infections.

Everybody's ear issues are different and I always tell people to consult with your doctor, ESPECIALLY if you end up needing pill/spray/syrup assistance.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:45 AM

The only thing that I will add to the great advice here is to emphasize the need for slow decents/ascents if possible. I generally don't dive drift dives in the ocean so I can get away with descending slowly to allow my swallowing or other tricks to clear my ears. The minute that I feel pressure, I ascend slightly to allow the ears to clear and then continue down. If your diving allows for this, feel free to try it. Keep in mind that some dives call for you to go into the water negative and descend like a rock. If that case, you may get stuck calling the dive if your ears didn't clear.

If the end, clearing ears for me became instinctive. I believe that it does that for most frequent divers as well.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:37 PM

<snip> Keep in mind that some dives call for you to go into the water negative and descend like a rock. If that case, you may get stuck calling the dive if your ears didn't clear.< snip>

Yikes! What kind of dive requires this fast a descent? :evilgrin:

#8 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:40 PM

I too have good days and bad days,but it has been getting easier. Alert Diver June/July issue has sereral articles about ears as well as describing several different clearing techniques. Good read.

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:07 PM

<snip> Keep in mind that some dives call for you to go into the water negative and descend like a rock. If that case, you may get stuck calling the dive if your ears didn't clear.< snip>

Yikes! What kind of dive requires this fast a descent? :P

A hot drop on a wreck when there's a screaming current. While this is sometimes done, it's rarely necessary for anyone other than the DM who drops in solo to tie to the wreck.

What tricks do you all have for clearing and equalizing better that our new diver might benefit from?

There are several methods of equalization and some tips to help them all work easier.

The most common method of equalization is the Valsalva Maneuver. Named for Antonio Valsalva, this technique involves pinching off the nostrils and blowing gently into the nose. Never blow forcefully while attempting this method as a too forceful Valsalva Maneuver can result in the rupture of the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent.

The Frenzel Maneuver was named for developer, Herman Frenzel of the Luftwaffe in World War II. This method is preformed by closing off the vocal cords, pinching the nostrils while an effort is made to make a "guh" sound.

The Toynbee Maneuver is simply pinching of the nostrils while swallowing.

Beance Tubaire Voluntaire (BTV) or Voluntary Tubal Opening is the preferred method of equalization once mastered. It feels very much like the beginning of a yawn and a difference in tonal quality of sounds will be noticed when successful. The muscles of the upper throat are used to pull open the Eustachian tube.

You should employ equalization techniques immediately upon descent and continue them regularly on descent. If any pain is experienced, you should ascend until all pain disappears and begin again.

Another equalization technique divers find helpful is to gently massage the area under the ear, just behind the jaw and against the jaw bone. This is most effective when used in conjunction with one of the methods discussed above.

Often divers find it useful to chew gum or eat crunchy foods such as apples or carrots prior to diving. You should not attempt to chew gum or eat while diving.

If you are unable to equalize ear pressure, it is possible to rupture the eardrum, round window or oval window. This will usually result in immediate vertigo and hearing loss, which can be permanent. If you are unable to equalize, you should abort the dive.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:19 PM

Walter that was an excellent post! I was hoping someone would explain all the ways that you can clear! Thank you for an outstanding post! :P -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#11 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

Yikes! What kind of dive requires this fast a descent? :P

Also might be done if the boat has no intention of anchoring. You drop in, do your dive, shoot a bag, and wait for the boat to collect you. Don't worry, you probably won't be seeing one of these.. as Walter said, they are not common.

#12 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:02 PM

Yikes! What kind of dive requires this fast a descent? :cool2:

Also might be done if the boat has no intention of anchoring. You drop in, do your dive, shoot a bag, and wait for the boat to collect you. Don't worry, you probably won't be seeing one of these.. as Walter said, they are not common.

(heaving a very big sigh of relief) Good to know! :P

#13 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:46 PM

It's all good now - you are certified, you can relax.

We had an opportunity to chase a big school at Cabo Pulmo last year - and that was a backroll off a small boat, with an immediate head-down descent to catch the school and drift with them.

HOWEVER, we briefed it, we agreed if anyone had problems the buddy team would hang together until the ears cleared.

Like most have said - practice seems to make ear clearing much easier, you learn to be gentle, you learn to preclear and clear frequently as you descend.

I do recommend an ENT for any diver with ear problems - they have some great solutions. For most of us, over-the-counter sudafed and afrin can really help keep you clear if used properly.

Speaking of ENTs - I met one at our OW class this past weekend. His son and daughter were getting their OW. If you live near Southlake, PM me for his name - having one who is also a diver will greatly help your rapport.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 27 June 2006 - 03:48 PM

Yikes! What kind of dive requires this fast a descent? :cool2:

When that type of dive is attempted, most captains are usually very careful to make sure everyone on the dive is comfortable with the skills/concepts.

Thank you for an outstanding post!

You're welcome, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,637 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 04:16 PM

Thank you for an outstanding post!

You're welcome, even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

:P Well thank goodness you are frequently blind!!! And here's to more squirrely blind acorns!!! :cool2:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users