• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ear Clearing and being a new diver...

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:06 PM

<snip> Keep in mind that some dives call for you to go into the water negative and descend like a rock. If that case, you may get stuck calling the dive if your ears didn't clear.< snip>

Yikes! What kind of dive requires this fast a descent? :dance:

Also might be done if the boat has no intention of anchoring. You drop in, do your dive, shoot a bag, and wait for the boat to collect you. Don't worry, you probably won't be seeing one of these.. as Walter said, they are not common.

(heaving a very big sigh of relief) Good to know! :usflag:

When that type of dive is attempted, most captains are usually very careful to make sure everyone on the dive is comfortable with the skills/concepts.

It all depends on the local conditions. These "hot" or "live" drops are fairly common around here especially on the deeper dives. The current moves so quickly and is so strong that the diver needs to hit the water and descend immediately upcurrent of the site. Otherwise, the current will pull the diver past the site.

Usually, the boat will drop a float ball on a line to the site, pull upcurrent, and then the divers jump in far enough upcurrent to start descending so that the they hit the descent line after being well on the way to the bottom. It minimizes the amount of time that the diver has to deal with current since it is typical, though not always so, that there will be less or even no current on the bottom. Scooters certainly make this much easier when carrying a lot of gear, and they can get the diver through the current zone quickly.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#17 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:29 PM

It used to take me a good 10 minutes to get past 8-10 feet. I'd have to keep going up and down, up and down. I always told my buddies before we started that they would just have to either wait on the surface until I cleared, or be patient and wait for me on the bottom, 'cause I was taking my time.

At any rate, the more I dove the easier it got. Now I clear without hardly thinking about it. Used to be the ONLY way I could clear was by swallowing and it could be hard to work up enough saliva for the multiple trys it would take me. Now, I just have to hold my nose and gently blow - so, from my experience, the more one dives, the easier it gets!
"

#18 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:01 PM

<snip>

At any rate, the more I dove the easier it got. Now I clear without hardly thinking about it. Used to be the ONLY way I could clear was by swallowing and it could be hard to work up enough saliva for the multiple trys it would take me. Now, I just have to hold my nose and gently blow - so, from my experience, the more one dives, the easier it gets!

The sentence I bolded sounds a lot like me! Good to know that it becomes easier with more dives, but I'm wondering why that is. Does anyone have an explanation, please?

#19 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:18 PM

It will become easier if you actually start "practicing" in the days and hours leading up to the dive rather than first trying it when you hit the water. Do the drill a few times every hour in the time leading up to the dive. You will find that it is like doing a stretch before a work out.

Second, the key to doing this skill properly is doing it "early and often." You should actually make the first attempt even before your head goes below the water. Then, equalize very frequently during the first several feet during descent. As the percentage of pressure change becomes less for each foot of descent, you will find less need to equalize as you get deeper.

Remember, doing this skill too forcefully could actually cause damage. So, do it early, often and gently.

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#20 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:37 PM

Well, to go a little beyond what SCUBADad said about stretching before a workout, it could be like working out in that the more you do it, the easier it gets - when I joined the Navy at 27, it was all I could do to run the required mile and half every six months, but I kept it up and now, at 45, I run 6-7 miles a day, 5 days a week, up and down hills! Could be the same with your sinus spaces - the more you exercise clearing them, the more conditioned they will become to that action.

I have had UR allergies most of my life and had an ENT doc tell me no way I could dive. But I tried it anyway, and found by taking my time, my sinuses would cooperate. The more I did this, the easier it got. Can't say I start "practicing" before the dive, but I do start as soon as I enter the water - I don't wait for my head to get below the surface.

I honestly don't remember a point when all of sudden it was easy to clear - and I don't dive on a really regular basis, but I still don't have the problems I used to have.

Oh, and too forcefully CAN cause damage - did that once. Fortunately nothing too serious.
"

#21 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:26 AM

I've only had clearance problems twice. One on my first dive in 11 years. And one on my second dive in 11 years. Other than that, I can hot drop anywhere. I don't even touch my nose to clear.

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:05 AM

These "hot" or "live" drops are fairly common around here especially on the deeper dives...........................Usually, the boat will drop a float ball on a line to the site, pull upcurrent, and then the divers jump in far enough upcurrent to start descending so that the they hit the descent line after being well on the way to the bottom.

Yes, but with the line from the surface to the site, you can still make the dive even if you are still on the surface when you hit the line. You don't have to be able to equalize quickly. Only the DM has to make the type of dive Brian described.

It minimizes the amount of time that the diver has to deal with current since it is typical, though not always so, that there will be less or even no current on the bottom.

True, so if you can equalize easily and quickly, you have an advantage.

I've only had clearance problems twice. One on my first dive in 11 years. And one on my second dive in 11 years. Other than that, I can hot drop anywhere. I don't even touch my nose to clear.

I rarely have difficulty either and I also typically use Voluntary Tubal Opening to equalize. The downside is on those rare times when I do have trouble, I'm descending more quickly than most and am usually already in pain by the time I realize it. Overall, it's an excellent problem to have.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 Guest_TexasStarfish_*

Guest_TexasStarfish_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:09 AM

Equalize immediately upon descending and frequently thereafter. That's what I was taught. I tend to equalize on every breathe. Also you may want to make sure your descending feet first. I get excited some times and want to dive right in there, but on my bad days it definitely makes a difference. If you get an ENT doctor (which I highly recommend!) make sure they dive or are diving trained. They will understand the effects of medications better and how they are going to effect you underwater.

Last, just take your time. And never try to force anything. Its better to save the diving for another day, instead of the possiblity of never diving again.

:thankyou:

#24 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 07:49 AM

Also you may want to make sure your descending feet first.

Why?

Oh.. this might derail the thread... Maybe someone will want to move this.

#25 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:25 AM

Also you may want to make sure your descending feet first.

Why?

Oh.. this might derail the thread... Maybe someone will want to move this.

Feet first keeps fluids in the ear from moving in such a way as to put pressure on passages that need to remain open in order to equalize. For some, this can help. For others, it might not matter.

#26 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

Thanks. I'd never heard that before. Learn something new every day...

#27 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:26 PM

Clearing becomes easier over time because you know how to do it. :thankyou:

Okay, confession time. In OW class they teach you to never, ever use anti-histamines when diving. The logic behind this is they may wear off during the dive. For many divers that advice goes out the window, along with the snorkel, about 3 dives after certification.

I have allergies and prefer 24 hour Sudafed when I'm not diving and need to get unstuffed, so if I feel at all stuffy, I'll take the same thing and it makes equalization a non-event. If you don't like the idea, you can also try a saline nasal spray. There is one conveniently named "Ocean". The spray has an immediate effect, the antihistamine generally takes effect within 20 minutes and lasts all day.

#28 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:14 PM

Clearing becomes easier over time because you know how to do it. :thankyou:

Okay, confession time. In OW class they teach you to never, ever use anti-histamines when diving. The logic behind this is they may wear off during the dive. For many divers that advice goes out the window, along with the snorkel, about 3 dives after certification.

I have allergies and prefer 24 hour Sudafed when I'm not diving and need to get unstuffed, so if I feel at all stuffy, I'll take the same thing and it makes equalization a non-event. If you don't like the idea, you can also try a saline nasal spray. There is one conveniently named "Ocean". The spray has an immediate effect, the antihistamine generally takes effect within 20 minutes and lasts all day.

Just a note about Sudafed. I don't know if the new formula is no longer an issue, however, the active ingredient in this drug (at least with the old version) can react with divers that are under a high oxygen exposure, making them more likely to experience an Oxygen toxicity hit. Please use with caution. Of course, the best way to consider taking things like this after discussing with a DIVING physician (not just a standard physician) especially if a diving ENT.

#29 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 29 June 2006 - 12:11 AM

Just a note about Sudafed. I don't know if the new formula is no longer an issue, however, the active ingredient in this drug (at least with the old version) can react with divers that are under a high oxygen exposure, making them more likely to experience an Oxygen toxicity hit. Please use with caution. Of course, the best way to consider taking things like this after discussing with a DIVING physician (not just a standard physician) especially if a diving ENT.

That's what I was getting at in my post where I don't take anything when doing my more advancd/deeper dives and in using my deco gases. SDM clarified it - it's pseudoephedrine.

According to DAN,

"What's the bottom line? In normal, healthy divers breathing air, occasional use of pseudoephedrine at the recommended dose is probably safe. This presumes that the drug has been taken during periods when no diving has occurred and that no undesirable reactions have occurred. However, one should avoid chronic (daily) use when diving, and it seems reasonable to avoid the drug entirely if diving while using oxygen-nitrogen mixes where the PO2 during a dive might exceed 1.4 ata, the current recommended "safe" open-circuit scuba limit."

So I play it safe. Click here for the full DAN article.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#30 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 29 June 2006 - 05:43 AM

Clearing becomes easier over time because you know how to do it. :banghead:

I agree completely that if you are having problems seeing a doctor may be in order. However, you want someone who knows about diving, not just a regular family physician. DAN can provide a referral.

Regarding concerns about oxygen hits, etc. if you are diving anything that extreme, you are out of my league so ignore all of my advice. I never expect to dive the Andrea Doria. :cheerleader: My comments are for recreational diving only.

Regarding the specific risks of Sudafed, I am not pushing Sudafed. It just happens to be what I use for my allergies. However, from what I have seen, using over the counter anti-histamines is very common, despite the open water instruction to the contrary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users