• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

A true Single Diver trip.

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo

Getting started

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:>50

Posted 27 June 2006 - 08:55 PM

So the "Johnny Bravo Challenge" ended with me going to Cozumel by myself. Bloody typical. I thought saying challenge would make it more like a dare... but then again, daring people to dive with you might not be the best tactic.

I ended up at Aqua Safari's plus a night dive with Black Shark. Both were good. Frankly (as you'll see below) I'm starting to think that the fellow divers on the boat have as much or more to do with making it a good dive than the operator.

Anyway... here's my trip report.

The Good:

Flights to Cancun for 300 bucks round trip.

Cozumel itself. Absoultely a super place to go solo. I arrived on the ferry from PDC at 6:00PM and by 7:30 had met some people and booked a dive for the following AM.

Hotel Pepita. Great location, 35 bucks a night. A/C, walk-ins welcome, plenty of space and a big shower with a spigot for rinsing gear. Nothing fancy, but nothing wanting.

A restaurant called Johnny Bravo's (I didn't eat there, I just liked the sign)

Palancar area in general -- just has that "wonderland" quality to it that makes me love reefs.

An octopus out in the daytime in the open sand that gave us a nice demonstration of color and texture change before swimming off like a flounder.

A very curious and unafraid hawksbill turtle at San Francisco.

A young couple from Slovenia who were great divers and great people.

A night dive at Yucab in a ripping current. Could hardly stop to look at things but flying in the dark was fun.

The cheap lunch joints on Calle Adolfo Rosado Salas between Av 20 and 25

A Belgian girl named Veronique.

The Bad:

Hurricane Wilma: Having never been to Cozumel before I can't compare the reefs to this time last year, but the returning divers say they have taken a serious hit. That's not to say they weren't beautiful and teeming with marine life, but there was that post-snowstorm look in places. Topside damage is apparent in damaged piers, stripped trees and lots of construction.

Remora-Buddy: I got paired the first day with a guy who assumed a position over my right leg at a distance of about 18 inches and stayed there the entire time, undeterred by the periodic fin in the face. Every time I turned around he'd be staring at me as if to say "what what what!?" It freakin' creeped me out.

Little Miss Touch-A-Lot: She was from Russia or Eastern Europe I think, traveling with a Spanish guy over twice her age. (hmmmm -- can you say russianbrides.com?) She stroked the coral, she pet the sea fan, she grabbed the turtle, she poked the octopus, she is lucky I don't carry a dive knife.

Paris Hilton of the Deep: She looked good getting on the dive boat in her little yellow mini, but once in the water it was another story: arms flapping, fins on the bottom, while her daddy towed her around by her bc handle. Every so often she'd show him her spg and he'd signal okay. Never before have I seen someone participate so little in the preservation of her own life. She is proof that diving is safe.

Inspector Gadget, aka Speedy McCrash: He got a slick new camera for his birthday and dammit he's going to photograph every fish in the ocean no matter how many divers he has to take out to do it. He seemed to be everywhere at once -- so much that for a while I thought he was twins in matching gear. On a six person dive he managed to collide with everyone at least twice. While peering under a ledge I was treated to the novel sensation of an AL-80 skipping off my skull (it feels about like you'd expect). Obviously he'd thought I'd seen something and had sped at full force to my location to get that once-in-a-lifetime photo. The upside is that he burned through his air in 30 minutes and the rest of us got to spend another full 30 enjoying the reef in peace. During his safety stop he pulled the hat trick and took out an entire family of snorklers and a glass bottom boat. Okay, I made that last bit up, but it wouldn't have surprised me.

#2 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:14 PM

Why did I miss this thread???? Not that I could have made it anyway but I love the trip report! Thanks for sharing!!!!! I went to Coz for the 1st time right after Emily. It still looked pretty awesome to me, aside from the torn up boats in the harbor of course. There was minimal damage to the finger corals on the shallow sites (from what I was told anyway) and the deeper sites were just breath taking.

Thank you again for sharing!!!!!!!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#3 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

Thanks for sharing. I needed a good laugh right about now. You'd fit right in on any SD trip.
"

#4 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 10:57 PM

:lmao: :usflag: :lmao: :dance: :lmao: :twist:

And the next Johnny Bravo Challenge is being offered when?? :P

#5 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 11:03 PM

:usflag: RussianBrides.com....great web site....got 50 matches right off..... :dance: Great trip report!
You must endeavor to pursue!

#6 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:31 AM

Never before have I seen someone participate so little in the preservation of her own life. She is proof that diving is safe.

:thankyou:

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#7 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:50 AM

Thanks for the report. Great comments. I've seen McCrash on dives just about every where. I love it when they kick your mask off and then look at you like you did something wrong.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#8 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 28 June 2006 - 06:57 AM

Thanks for the report!! Headed their Friday-so I'll be on the look out for these debacles of the deep!!!!!!!
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#9 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

:thankyou: :birthday: :birthday: :cool2:

Thanks for the great report..I needed a good laugh this morning!
I have seen some of these suspect divers on other trips..I thought by now they would have given it all up for skydiving :birthday:

Karen

#10 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:40 AM

too funny!! Next time -- make sure to take your dive buddy over here.. uh hmm..
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#11 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 28 June 2006 - 08:45 AM

What a great trip to experience solo! :cool1: LOVE Cozumel for all of the good reasons you stated! :D

As for the bad... :lmao:

Remora-Buddy: Isn't there enough Caribbean to share, other than the 2 feet of space to be able to fin in?

Little Miss Touch-A-Lot: (can you say russianbrides.com?) -- Do the brides learn to dive from the internet?

Inspector Gadget, aka Speedy McCrash: Hope your head healed from the collision! Did the pic turn out ok?

Paris Hilton of the Deep: You'd think with her loud safety yellow on that she'd be more cautious! NOT!

Hurricane Wilma: Share same sentiments, after having visited in January for the first time. But the bare trees, snowball reefs, and topside reconstruction have not deterred me from going back to visit there again!

Great trip report! :wub:

#12 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:41 AM

:wub: RussianBrides.com....great web site....got 50 matches right off..... :cool1: Great trip report!

But how many have you met, Scott? Must admit the Russian ladies I've met are much nicer looking than the vodka swilling image we were given back during the Cold War. Het, did anyone ever consider that global warming may be due to the end of that conflict?

Never been to Cozumel, but enjoyed reading your report. I spend a few months diving about 150 miles to the south and loved it.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,677 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 June 2006 - 09:44 AM

Well not to make the obvious comparison here...BUT...give us alittle notice and we'll most likely be able to help you find a dive buddy the next time! Our new travel team will be able to help you find a great buddy for your next uh...'solo trip'....that is if you can't join in on one of the group trips! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 28 June 2006 - 11:21 AM

Hey James, I love your report. Hope you will tell us more details tonight.

#15 JohnnyBravo

JohnnyBravo

Getting started

• Pip
  • 28 posts
  • Logged Dives:>50

Posted 28 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

Well not to make the obvious comparison here...BUT...give us alittle notice and we'll most likely be able to help you find a dive buddy the next time! Our new travel team will be able to help you find a great buddy for your next uh...'solo trip'....that is if you can't join in on one of the group trips! -ww

Yes, I know I didn't give enough warning so I couldn't really expect people to be free at a moment's notice. Next time I'll check out the travel team.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users