• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive Buddies Wanted

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#16 TonyL

TonyL

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100

Posted 29 June 2006 - 10:14 AM

Congratulations, Caetllonn.

I would recommend finding someone who is solid on skills, patient, and level-headed. There is no fool-proof way to figure it out ahead of time but there are people close to you who I would feel comfortable diving with and can recommend others.

Good luck.

Tony

#17 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 29 June 2006 - 01:17 PM

My biggest 'make or break' question is whether they're a 'same ocean' diver. I'm still green enough that I appreciate the other person hanging in the general area. In the first 30 dives I did, three different 'buddies' up and split on me, and I never saw 'em the rest of the dive. If they wanna do a solo dive, fine, but kindly let me know so I can find a different partner.

#18 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:16 PM

"post"?!? :;-+: I actually emerged from my shell to create a thread! With a title like A Horseshoe Crab... A Hushpuppy... A Hurricane, how could you have missed it? :P

Yeah, with a title like that, how COULD I have missed it? :idea: Consider yourself properly congratulated. I added it to the very well-titled thread. :cool1:

#19 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:43 PM

I'm just looking at finding individuals to dive with.

Well should you ever dive PNW....

That's right, I forgot, she's not going to dive locally, even though she's surrounded by world-class cold water dive sites. Well, no wonder she's being so darn fussy! In that case, I would probably be screening dive buds more closely also, since I would be spending a small fortune on a warm water dive location and wouldn't want to get stuck with a buddy from HELL. You're in the right place then. You already at least have some idea on buddying with another SD perv, er, member!

Edited by Brinybay, 29 June 2006 - 03:24 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#20 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 29 June 2006 - 02:56 PM

I'm just looking at finding individuals to dive with.

... you'll be the first one I'll call! :P

Congratulations, Caetllonn.

I would recommend finding someone who is solid on skills, patient, and level-headed. There is no fool-proof way to figure it out ahead of time but there are people close to you who I would feel comfortable diving with and can recommend others.

Good luck.

Tony

Thank you, Tony! (And thank you for taking the time to find out my name.)

I wholeheartedly agree with your recommendations; they're what I'm concentrating most on, too.

#21 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 29 June 2006 - 09:37 PM

If you can find your way to DFW, we have lots of reliable buddies here, plus Billy Bob's.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#22 tracker

tracker

Getting started

• Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:18

Posted 03 July 2006 - 11:59 AM

1. How do you decide who you will or won't dive with?

I'll dive with anyone the first time as long as they don't act like an idiot OR if it is not an advanced dive.

2. Do you rely on the experiences of others? (referrals from other dive buddies, friends, family)

Depends on who's talking.

3. Do you have a screening process? If so, what types of questions do you ask?

Of course I usually have a conversation with them on the internet or in person before the dive. Refer to question #1.

4. Do you meet them in person first before actually making arrangements to dive?

Sometimes. I run into a lot of people by just going there. My local dive spots usually have someone, or groups that are there every weekend or at least a class where a dive master or instructor will want to dive.

I think I can't add much to what has already been said. I agree with PerroneFord about DIR. I think to do anything well you have to do it right. If anyone makes you uncomfortable under water, call the dive. For example: my first dive buddy basically acted like he was on a solo dive. He raced to 140 feet deep before stopping. I caught him and gave him the surface sign and immediately started toward the beach along the floor. At 140' I noticed 1500 left in my tank. Needless to say, I ran out of air before I got to the surface. I made emergency ascent and everything turned out fine. Of course I never buddied with him again.
In summary, if you feel uncomfortable, don't do it. Refer to question #1,
Congratulations on your certification and I appreciate your passion for scuba. I hope to have mucho free time by the end of this year and I have set a goal to dive with as many people from this board as possible, hope to see you at HH somewhere, sometime.

Dave

btw drbill, you crack me up.

Edited by tracker, 03 July 2006 - 12:07 PM.

#23 Hexkraut

Hexkraut

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:1000

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:28 PM

I will be in the same boat soon of having to find a dive buddy. Would it be a good idea to maybe meet some of you during one of our Happy hours before booking one of those nice trips with you all? Thanks.

#24 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:09 PM

When you buddy with someone, you should also make it very clear to them that this may be a one-time event if either of you aren't comfortable.

This is an excellent suggestion!

Thx, Perrone and Mark! :lmao:

Does this mean you and I will only do one dive together when you come down? I guess I'd better plan on being on the King Neptune most of the time.

#25 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:13 PM

That's right, I forgot, she's not going to dive locally, even though she's surrounded by world-class cold water dive sites... You already at least have some idea on buddying with another SD perv, er, member!

Are you referring to me? Them's fighting words (even if they are true).

Hey, my plan is to acclimate her slowly to the waters of the PNW starting out with Florida, then SoCal and then maybe she'll be ready for the jump.

#26 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 08:38 PM

When you buddy with someone, you should also make it very clear to them that this may be a one-time event if either of you aren't comfortable.

This is an excellent suggestion!

Thx, Perrone and Mark! :lmao:

Does this mean you and I will only do one dive together when you come down? I guess I'd better plan on being on the King Neptune most of the time.

LOL! Well listen... if the other visitors show up, you may be off the hook and can spend all your time on the boat! :lmao:

#27 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:23 PM

LOL! Well listen... if the other visitors show up, you may be off the hook and can spend all your time on the boat! :cheerleader:

Gulp... are they ALL staying at my place. Hmm, come to think of it... it might be nice to have reinforcements if I do battle with the homeowner from hell upstairs!

#28 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 12 July 2006 - 10:28 PM

LOL! Well listen... if the other visitors show up, you may be off the hook and can spend all your time on the boat! :cheerleader:

Gulp... are they ALL staying at my place. Hmm, come to think of it... it might be nice to have reinforcements if I do battle with the homeowner from hell upstairs!

I doubt it. I reckon two will be daytrippers and the third won't come. :D You'll be stuck with just me, I'm afraid.

#29 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 13 July 2006 - 04:41 AM

:cheerleader: :D :P If you can ..watch the the people that will diving with you on shore...you can tell alot about a diver by what they bring to the game and how they handle it ..if they toss their tanks out of the back of the pickup...they probably dont care about much. experianced divers are organized they have everything they need for the dive and a few extras...unexperianced divers pile their s__t so that the tank will fall on their secondstage and scratch the face of the computer...oh yea and they tend to drag everything across the pavement on the way to the boat....just watch people they will tell you alot..without saying a word!
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#30 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 13 July 2006 - 08:03 AM

I will be in the same boat soon of having to find a dive buddy. Would it be a good idea to maybe meet some of you during one of our Happy hours before booking one of those nice trips with you all? Thanks.

Come up to Dallas the next time we have a happy hour...or, if you'll be up here, let us know and we'll throw one just for you!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users