• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dip Tube...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:03 PM

The damn dip tube on my single 130 unscrewed itself and is rolling around in the tank. I had to drain the are and bring it to a local shop for a quick fix.

Damn, that never happened to me before. Has anyone ever had a dip tube failure?

#2 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,696 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:21 PM

Ok I gotta ask...what the heck is a 'dip tube'???? Yep this is your resident blonde asking a silly question and I know you'll call me the 'dip'...but....I still gotta ask!!! :unsure:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:24 PM

A dip tube (also known as a down tube or siphon tube) is there to prevent foreign stuff that may be in your tank, that shouldn't be there but could be there (i.e. water, that cockroach Walter found in his tank Posted Image...etc.) from getting into the valve, first stage and ultimately your regulator as it descends down about 2" into the center of the tank. Water would, for example, in an inverted diver position fall below the tube, so the tube acts as a sort of snorkel.

Look at the photo below and it is the cylindrical stick pointing out of the tank valve threads.

Posted Image
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,696 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:27 PM

Thank you DG!!! You are the best...and now I don't feel like a DIP trying to know what a 'dip tube' is.

Now my question is...how the heck do they fall off??? :unsure:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:31 PM

It's never happened to me but it has happened to a buddy. Before then I'd never even though about it.

#6 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:44 PM

:unsure: :flirt: :teeth: Yes, as matter of fact, mine went to go rattling around the bottom of my brand new tank just a few weeks ago....I live pretty far from any LDS ..so I fixed it myself......do not attempt unless you have an understaning of O rings and putting things back togeather..the way they came apart..before today I though it was a common problem.....oh yea the reason they fall off they are just like nuts and bolts ..time loosens things.....becarefull not to crush or damage the tube if you tighten it yourself

Edited by dad+2(.5), 12 July 2006 - 05:48 PM.

"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#7 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 05:50 PM

Happened to one of the divers over Memorial Day at Ouachita. I heard the rattle in his tank carrying it up to the shop for a fill. When I expressed concern his buddy explained to me what it was. He still dove the tank for our last day there but fixed it once he got home.

Like everyone else I'm wondering how they end up coming off. Are they not secured in place properly to start with?

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:00 PM

They can vibrate pretty hard when gas is being put into the tank. They also heat up during fills and cool down if you rapidly drain the tank (emptying to do a fill). All of this causes them to eventually loosen up.

The shop that preps the valves for me uses a loctite type of material that is safe for oxygen service once dry. That seems to work well to keep them from backing off over time.

It's a good idea to have your cylinder inspector check the snorkel when doing the annual tank inspection (VCI, VIP).
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 July 2006 - 06:51 PM

Had a much worse experience with dip tube (we also call 'em debris tubes) failure. Some foreign matter clogged mine and was the reason I had an "OOA" experience at 70 ft only 3 1/2 min into the dive. It may have clogged because I did a head down descent. Ever since then I float down like I'm free falling on a parachute jump.

#10 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:14 PM

The damn dip tube on my single 130 unscrewed itself and is rolling around in the tank. I had to drain the are and bring it to a local shop for a quick fix.

Damn, that never happened to me before. Has anyone ever had a dip tube failure?

Here is how to deal with it next time:

Drain the gas and get the biggest crescent wrench you have available. Put the wrench on the flat part of the valve. Gently tap the wrench with a rubber mallet. The valve will come loose easily. Remove the valve. Turn the tank over and dump out the dip tube. Screw the dip tube into the valve as tightly as you can using just your hands. Do not put any sort of pliers on the dip tube. It will bend or break easily. If you have a new tank o-ring handy you might want to use it. Screw the valve back into the tank. Screw the valve down hand tight. Put the wrench back on and tap with the rubber mallet very lightly. Depending on who you ask the valve should be either hand tight or just past hand tight.

Go get your tank refilled. :lmao:

If you are really motivated to avoid such hassles, take a tank inspection course, so you can check out the tank while you have it open.

Dr. Bill if you had a dip tube clog up, the implication is that you had some crud in your tank. You dive a lot so that is not a huge shock, but you might want to consider more frequent VIPs just in case. I don't know if you do your own inspections or not, but if you have a shop do them, I suggest watching on the next few VIPs so you can get a look at what is inside there.

#11 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:15 PM

Now my question is...how the heck do they fall off??? :lmao:

tank gnomes
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#12 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:18 PM

Yeah, I O2 cleand these tanks earlier in the year and inspected them. I was going to fix the tanks at the hotel but I didn't bring my tools to remove the valve. I figured a LDS could knock it out for me and when I get home I'll take it apart and O2 clean it again.

Fun, fun, fun

#13 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

Ok I gotta ask...what the heck is a 'dip tube'???? Yep this is your resident blonde asking a silly question and I know you'll call me the 'dip'...but....I still gotta ask!!! :lmao:

I was going to ask the same thing!!! Horray Blondes!!!!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#14 Lubold8431

Lubold8431

• PipPipPipPip
  • 202 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor. Do most of my diving in NE. I love wreck diving.
  • Logged Dives:Over 1500...

Posted 12 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

(Snip)
Screw the dip tube into the valve as tightly as you can using just your hands. Do not put any sort of pliers on the dip tube. It will bend or break easily.
(snip)

I always wrap a towel around the dip tube and use pliers to tighten it up a little bit more than finger tight. Be careful with pliers though, you dont need to be he-man about it, you dont want to strip the threads or damage the tube itself. Just gentle pressure and a little turn. Ive never had one loosen up when assembled this way. I dont like to use any type of loctite material because I want to be able to get them apart again for O2 cleaning.
The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will.
--Vince Lombardi

#15 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 13 July 2006 - 12:18 AM

bring bring (phone)
lds-uh, mark?
me- yes.
lds-this is steve at -- please don't be alarmed, but at your earliest convenience could you bring you pony in?
me- what's up?
lds- well, we have this dip tube on our bench, and since you just picked up a pony, it may not have been installed. we built up a couple of tanks today and unfortunately are calling each person to ask them to bring them in.

i love my lds...

how does it come unscrewed...Scubadad probably has the best answer...expansion and contraction...just something else to think about...

Edited by solodiver in nj, 13 July 2006 - 08:01 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users