• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dip Tube...

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,692 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 July 2006 - 03:50 AM

how does it come unscrewed...Scubadad probably has the best answer...expansion and contraction...just something else to think about...

Dang it Mark...NOW you did give me something ELSE to think about! :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 13 July 2006 - 10:36 AM

Now my question is...how the heck do they fall off??? :cool2:

tank gnomes

Well then thank goodness for the dip tubes - would hate to suck a tank gnome into my reg...
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#18 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 14 July 2006 - 06:16 PM

In my experience they're often pushed in, not screwed.

#19 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 14 July 2006 - 07:02 PM

Interesting. When I broke my doubles down for VIP, the dip tubes were screwed in. In fact, the PSI/PCI inspection sheet requires checking them for tightness.

#20 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 14 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

When i got my new steel tanks, the valves and dip tubes were unattached. I attached them, but i also thought of this. I like the loctite idea.

#21 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 14 July 2006 - 09:14 PM

When i got my new steel tanks, the valves and dip tubes were unattached. I attached them, but i also thought of this. I like the loctite idea.

I don't think you want to be breathing it.

#22 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 14 July 2006 - 10:22 PM

There is a red colored equivalent to loctite that is fine for even oxygen service. I have it on all of my valve snorkels for at least the last three years without incident. I don't know the brand. I just recall having this exact discussion with my LDS when they were assembling everything.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#23 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 07:59 AM

There is a red colored equivalent to loctite that is fine for even oxygen service. I have it on all of my valve snorkels for at least the last three years without incident. I don't know the brand. I just recall having this exact discussion with my LDS when they were assembling everything.

I would be curious to know the exact manufacturer and product if you can come up with it.

#24 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 15 July 2006 - 09:01 AM

I would be curious to know the exact manufacturer and product if you can come up with it.

If I go to DEMA this year, I am going to find out. They won't tell me so that I can remain dependent on them for yet another thing. :cool2:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#25 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

Thank you DG!!! You are the best...and now I don't feel like a DIP trying to know what a 'dip tube' is.

Now my question is...how the heck do they fall off??? :banghead:

My pony tank dip tube did that once. They can become loose do to various reasons. It was just a matter of removing the tank valve, inspecting and cleaning it, then screwing it back on. Even though it's not a complicated task, I wouldn't do the service myself, take it to a shop.

Edited by Brinybay, 15 July 2006 - 04:17 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#26 ereediver

ereediver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:45 PM

Dip tubes, sucking in gnomes????? what exactly is this site again :banghead:

#27 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 15 July 2006 - 04:58 PM

:banghead:

Edited by Brinybay, 16 July 2006 - 09:45 AM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#28 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts

Posted 15 July 2006 - 06:57 PM

Thank you DG!!! You are the best...and now I don't feel like a DIP trying to know what a 'dip tube' is.

Now my question is...how the heck do they fall off??? :banghead:

My pony tank dip tube did that once. They can become loose do to various reasons. It was just a matter of removing the tank valve, inspecting and cleaning it, then screwing it back on. Even though it's not a complicated task, I wouldn't do the service myself, take it to a shop.

It isn't a big deal. The only tools you need are a large crescent wrench and a rubber mallet. Check my directions early in the thread. If you are still uncomfortable with the idea, ask to watch while the shop does it. Better yet, take a PSI course.

#29 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 July 2006 - 04:47 PM

A way to get the dip tube to stay in place without the use of chemical glues is to 'upset' the thread on the tube.To do this first screw in the tube free hand and make a mark(felt pen) where the tube meets the valve.After unscrewing the tube locate your mark and count 2 threads higher and make another mark.Now take a centerpunch(90deg) and give the threads a light tap.What you should have is a spot on the thread where there is a 'bump' in the thread.THis will in effect do the same thing as a lock washer.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users