• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Ginny Springs HH & Techreational Weekend (Jan 14-16)

• Please log in to reply
104 replies to this topic

#1 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:34 PM

Okay, everyone who wants to dive in relatively warm and clear water! SingleDivers.com will be holding a HH and gear/scuba skills clinic in the Florida Springs area either around High Springs or Ponce De Leon. High Springs, where Ginnie Springs is located has more to do, but for those in cave country who haven't been diving around Morrison or Vortex Spring (Ponce De Leon) we have that option. Who wants to attend, what weekend is best and where would you most like to dive? This will mostly focus on tech equipment and improving dive skills. So, anyone who is interested at any level let us know who wants to attend the clinic and what you'd like to gain from the experience. It's far easier to plan to accommodate everyone with advanced notice and to know the level of diving skill and what each person would like to learn. I handle the beatings and Kamala handles the fun! :cheerleader:

Trace

Update: The date has now been set for Jan 14-16th at Ginny Springs. Full details including costs and agendas will be coming soon. Please stay tuned to this thread and feel free to make suggestions, ask questions and request the type of training and knowledge you want. Trace is still adatping these clinics and certs so that they are not only fill the gaps in our diving knowledge but do so with respect to HOW you want to dive and WHERE you want to dive rather than prescribing to any one set of precepts and applying them generically across the board without understanding of how the recipient plans to use the skills and knowledge. In other words....Doing What Works!!!

Update 12-9-05:

We've realized that trying to do certifications takes away from time better spent actually developing skills. So, this will be the first clinic that really begins the format we want and will allow those attending to have more fun and spend time in water diving and working on skill development. Also, because it's not a pass/fail course there won't be any pressure or ego bruising. I've decided to approach diving instruction like a coach anymore rather than a typical instructor. So, we'll work on individual and team skills as well as equipment. But, this will be PRACTICAL rather than theoretical and much more informative and fun.

Cost: Based upon what Trace wants to accomplish with these clinics we'll be offering the clinic for $195 for 1-3 days! You'll get your money's worth for one day and you'll get even more experience and practice if you do all 3 days!

Each day will be VERY full of both information and in water practice so this is a great price for this clinic! We are not sure if Trace will be offering more of these in the future...much depends on how successful this one is!

Hotel: Based upon who is all going we'll get rooms at either the Springs or at one of the local hotels. (Let us know who all wants to share a room so we can help make arrangements!)

Who's Going?:

1. Trace aka TraceMalin (pd)
2. Kamala aka WreckWench (pd)
3. Larry aka Orcaman (pd)
4. Kini aka KonaScubaGirl (pd)
5. NormBlitch (pd)

Check's in the Mail:

1. BabyDuck
2. PerroneFord
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#2 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:19 AM

My vote is for Ginnie the 3-day weekend of Jan 14-16...

Norm

Okay, everyone who wants to dive in relatively warm and clear water! SingleDivers.com will be holding a HH and gear/scuba skills clinic in the Florida Springs area either around High Springs or Ponce De Leon. High Springs, where Ginnie Springs is located has more to do, but for those in cave country who haven't been diving around Morrison or Vortex Spring (Ponce De Leon) we have that option. Who wants to attend, what weekend is best and where would you most like to dive? This will mostly focus on tech equipment and improving dive skills. So, anyone who is interested at any level let us know who wants to attend the clinic and what you'd like to gain from the experience. It's far easier to plan to accommodate everyone with advanced notice and to know the level of diving skill and what each person would like to learn. I handle the beatings and Kamala handles the fun! :cheerleader:

Trace

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 09:43 AM

I'm very interested. Need to know a few things:

1. Date. Mid Jan is great. How many days?

2. Cost: I'm gonna be da** broke so it's gotta be cheap.

3. What's going to be covered in class. If this is a basic (tech) skills review that's perfect. If you're going to be running through advanced topics like mixed gases, reel work, etc., I'm interested but might not attend depending on costs.

4. Do you allow bad divers?

#4 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 29 November 2005 - 10:05 AM

"Bad Gurl" Divers are ENCOURAGED!

:wakawaka:

nhb

#5 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:25 PM

This will mostly focus on tech equipment and improving dive skills. So, anyone who is interested at any level let us know who wants to attend the clinic and what you'd like to gain from the experience.

As usual, I'm confused. :welcome: This clinic will focus on tech equipment. Does that mean anyone who is interested at any level of "tech" diving, or will there be something for every level of recreational diving as well, or are you going to gear the class towards the people who will be there?

The end of February or beginning of March is the best time for me.

#6 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 29 November 2005 - 05:33 PM

i guess i'm a glutton for punishment or a masochist (hmm, are those two different?), because i'd be willing to do it again!!

if i did, i'd be hoping for things like discussions of general skills most folks can improve like trim and non-silting kicks, and an individual skills assessment - ways to improve whatever *i'm* doing (how to mix a better drink, things for me to work on in gearing up for cavern in feb). backing up (duh), reel work, drills, and beginner task loading would be my goals, i think.

i've been to both places & either is fine with me. weekend of the 13th is also fine.

btw, what happened to 'never again!'? :welcome:

#7 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 30 November 2005 - 09:28 AM

I'm very interested. Need to know a few things:

1. Date. Mid Jan is great. How many days?

2. Cost: I'm gonna be da** broke so it's gotta be cheap.

3. What's going to be covered in class. If this is a basic (tech) skills review that's perfect. If you're going to be running through advanced topics like mixed gases, reel work, etc., I'm interested but might not attend depending on costs.

Since I'm counting on Norm's photographic skills. we'll hold it at Ginnie for the weekend of the 14, 15 & 16 of January. I'm going to cover equipment considerations for technical diving regarding "Doing What Works" from my training with PDIC, GUE, TDI, NACD and my own experiences. This will be for single tank and doubles divers and includes considerations for using stage/deco bottles. We'll be focusing primarily on basic diving skills, two and three man team skills, and the use of spools and reels for tie offs and lift bags. What didn't work too well at Dutch was trying to meet the expectations for equipment repair without a dive center handy and trying to run classes after late nights of socializing as well as trying to run the certs in the space of a single day to accommodate people who could only take part on one of the days. This time, I'm going to spend all three days doing equipment, skills, and drills. If anyone wants nitrox certification, please let me know in advance so I can get the materials to you prior to class. This lets me fill in the gaps and answer questions rather than repeating the book. This will be geared for any level of diver, but the focus will be more towards the technical aspects of diving to prepare divers to start practicing for cavern/cave and nitrox/advanced nitrox diving. I think Ginnie will be too shallow and small for some of the drills I want to do. I'd prefer a deeper basin. Because we should have warmer water and air temps there will be far more practical skills and application. This will be really basic diving & learning to think on one's feet rather than letting others do the thinking for you. The BS piles up so high in the diving community anymore that you need wings to stay above it. As far as cost goes, contact Kamala about that. There are no bad divers who care about learning. This is will be dive practice like going to soccer practice.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 November 2005 - 10:00 AM

Hey gang...its official so I am moving this to our SD Events and Functions forum! -ww

Update: The date has now been set for Jan 14-16th at Ginny Springs. Full details including costs and agendas will be coming soon. Please stay tuned to this thread and feel free to make suggestions, ask questions and request the type of training and knowledge you want. Trace is still adatping these clinics and certs so that they are not only fill the gaps in our diving knowledge but do so with respect to HOW you want to dive and WHERE you want to dive rather than prescribing to any one set of precepts and applying them generically across the board without understanding of how the recipient plans to use the skills and knowledge. In other words....Doing What Works!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 11:49 AM

Since I'm counting on Norm's photographic skills. we'll hold it at Ginnie for the weekend of the 14, 15 & 16 of January. I'm going to cover equipment considerations for technical diving regarding "Doing What Works" from my training with PDIC, GUE, TDI, NACD and my own experiences. This will be for single tank and doubles divers and includes considerations for using stage/deco bottles. We'll be focusing primarily on basic diving skills, two and three man team skills, and the use of spools and reels for tie offs and lift bags. What didn't work too well at Dutch was trying to meet the expectations for equipment repair without a dive center handy and trying to run classes after late nights of socializing as well as trying to run the certs in the space of a single day to accommodate people who could only take part on one of the days. This time, I'm going to spend all three days doing equipment, skills, and drills. If anyone wants nitrox certification, please let me know in advance so I can get the materials to you prior to class. This lets me fill in the gaps and answer questions rather than repeating the book. This will be geared for any level of diver, but the focus will be more towards the technical aspects of diving to prepare divers to start practicing for cavern/cave and nitrox/advanced nitrox diving. I think Ginnie will be too shallow and small for some of the drills I want to do. I'd prefer a deeper basin. Because we should have warmer water and air temps there will be far more practical skills and application. This will be really basic diving & learning to think on one's feet rather than letting others do the thinking for you. The BS piles up so high in the diving community anymore that you need wings to stay above it. As far as cost goes, contact Kamala about that. There are no bad divers who care about learning. This is will be dive practice like going to soccer practice.

Trace

The dates work for me. I'll be there. Whether I will be there in doubles is another issue. I'd like to be, but it depends on a couple of factors. Deploying the stage and doing reel work will be VERY welcome stuff for me as I need to learn all that. Hopefully, I'll be a bit more relaxed than i was in my Nitrox/Adv Nitrox course.

If Ginnie is too small and shallow, you can always use Troy, which is about 20-25 minutes away, costs $10 and you can get to 65-75 fft there. Perfect for shooting bags, though you can silt it. Has a nice dock to work from right above the water entrance. I need to go back there as I made a MESS of it the last time.

Kamla, can you send me info on costs? I'll probably camp at Ginnie or stay somewhere cheap. Driving back and forth would be more of a pain than it's worth. It's about 1.5 hours to Ginnie for me.

#10 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:38 PM

depending on how many we end up with, renting the cottage at ginnie might be a good option. it has 2 bathrooms with good showers, a room with a double, a room with 2 twins, and a little bunkroom with 4 bunks. there's also a couch and floor room in the living room for sleeping bags. they provide towels. the kitchen is adequate, too. nice porch with a drying area. whadda ya think?

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 November 2005 - 12:41 PM

depending on how many we end up with, renting the cottage at ginnie might be a good option. it has 2 bathrooms with good showers, a room with a double, a room with 2 twins, and a little bunkroom with 4 bunks. there's also a couch and floor room in the living room for sleeping bags. they provide towels. the kitchen is adequate, too. nice porch with a drying area. whadda ya think?

Great idea and I think we could easily fill it. I'll have to see if it is available.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 01:30 PM

My only drawback to the Cottage is the distance to-from the Ballroom...unless T is encouraging "Hell Week" PT, you still have to drive with gear to either Spring-head early enough to get a good spot/bench...What I WOULD strongly encourage is renting a Pavillion at the Ballroom...cheap enough last time I looked.

Chances are I'll be camping at the Alamo, across the Street from Floyds and S**** Diving's new digs...

nhb

#13 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 November 2005 - 04:30 PM

How much is the Alamo? That sounds like a plan Norm.

#14 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 05:59 AM

$45-ish...you know where it is, right??

nhb

How much is the Alamo? That sounds like a plan Norm.

#15 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 01 December 2005 - 06:27 AM

Well, I know where Floyds is (ate there after the NACD convention), and I know where Salvo is...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users