• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

It's All Diving...Rec/Tec

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#16 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:35 AM

What he was trying (poorly, IMO) to tell you was decompression diving was not allowed on that charter.

No, what he was trying to say was that even remaining within the no decompression limits, we still could not carry extra gas to enhance our margins. But, I digress. You really don't want to open up this can of worms again. :welcome:

Was it the pony bottle to which he objected or the EAN 50?

Howard is right. I will set the record straight and then attempt to let that can worms close back up as it needs to do. It was the EAN50 that he had the objection to.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 August 2006 - 12:32 PM

What he was trying (poorly, IMO) to tell you was decompression diving was not allowed on that charter.

No, what he was trying to say was that even remaining within the no decompression limits, we still could not carry extra gas to enhance our margins. But, I digress. You really don't want to open up this can of worms again. :banghead:

Howard is right. I will set the record straight and then attempt to let that can worms close back up as it needs to do. It was the EAN50 that he had the objection to.

Then he didn't object to carrying extra gas to enhance your margins. He objected to you carrying something he considered deco gas. He believed (although it's none of his business) you would make deco dives if he let you bring EAN 50.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:33 PM

The term "technical diving" is worse than useless. Various agencies and groups have different definitions of the term, so it's impossible to know exactly what someone means when the use it. Even when everyone agrees on the definition (for example when instructors from a single agancy are having a discussion), what's the purpose of using the term? Usually, cave diving is considered "technical" as is trimix diving and penetration of wrecks. Using those as an example it's quite common to have three "technical" divers who are all highly skilled and well trained, none of whom are qualified to do what the other does regularly. I would not refer to them as "technical" divers. I would refer to them as a cave diver, a trimix diver and a wreck penetration diver. Those terms actually mean something. The term "technical" diver seems to be nothing more than an ego trip. Unless one is diving as a job, the diver is doing it for recreation and is a recreational diver.

gotta agree with you Walter.

if your not diving for a paycheck then that dive is a recreational dive.

doesn't matter if that dive is in 20 fsw on a fish-filled coral reef or 300 ffw on a wreck or 12,000 feet into a cave system.

your not getting paid for it, your doing it for fun, its recreational.

beats me what "technical" means.

i guess the laws of physics and all that don't apply if your not doing a "technical" dive.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#19 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:37 PM

I say its time for a new lable...something that encompasses both rec and tec diving.
So follow my reasoning here....we'll take the first part of recreational= rec and combine it with tec and tweek it a bit and I get 'rectecal diver'......

#20 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:41 PM

I say its time for a new lable...something that encompasses both rec and tec diving.
So follow my reasoning here....we'll take the first part of recreational= rec and combine it with tec and tweek it a bit and I get 'rectecal diver'......

well, at least you didn't just say "rectal diver"
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#21 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:44 PM

well, at least you didn't just say "rectal diver"

some say tomato some say tomoto...

Think of the cards....basic rectecal diver
advance rectecal diver
deep rectecal diver

#22 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:45 PM

No, what he was trying to say was that even remaining within the no decompression limits, we still could not carry extra gas to enhance our margins. But, I digress. You really don't want to open up this can of worms again. :banghead:

Then he didn't object to carrying extra gas to enhance your margins. He objected to you carrying something he considered deco gas. He believed (although it's none of his business) you would make deco dives if he let you bring EAN 50.

That is what happened. Extra backgas (same gas as the diver was breathing for the dive) was allowed but not a mix different than the back gas aka a deco gas or in this case EAN 50.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#23 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:47 PM

I joined this board to learn from others and share ideas and discuss good topics from Open water divers and all higher experience levels. The key to this is experience. I don’t care which agency you are trained by or your title. I want to know your opinion and what you can tell me to support it. If you have a personal experience you learned from, I want to know what that was.

I have a charter boat. I cater to Recreational divers!
That sums it up. I dive for pleasure. I sell trips to other persons that dive for pleasure. Is there one of you that dives for any other reason other than Recreation?

I do have another hat or two or three. I weld, rebuild valves, change out pumps for water treatment plants, I do video inspections, and yesterday I pumped three yards of concrete around a problem pipe with a leak in twenty foot of water. This is not recreational diving. It is technical, commercial diving. It requires five times the safety requirements as recreational diving. Three to one ratio for the diver and safety personal. Does your diving sound like this?

Tech is a catchy phrase. I will use it when I am referring to anything that is outside of the standard limit to open water diving. IE overhead environment by limestone, Steel or deco obligation. Others might use it for gear configurations or mixes. I think of anything from 40% down as Recreational. Anything above this as a more technical mix, for whatever it's intended use. It requires better diver skills and extensive information to use correctly. It is still recreational diving.
If I ware a single 120steel tank to 165 foot I am not a technical diver, I am a fool. If I go to 240 foot on air and touched the rock at 240 and turn around to haul ass back to 50 foot to hang out with the rest of the divers I am not a Technical diver, I am a Fool.
Regardless of your affiliations you are welcome to dive on my boat. You are welcome to dive the level of training you have achieved. I do not expect you to tell me anything other than your run time and if you have any additional needs from me or my DM. Other than that dive your ass off. Just sign the release! And read the fine print. I will get your gear for any hassle I have recovering you and filling out the paperwork.

As for bashing agencies, getting on the defensive or even raising a flag to call attention to a reference is time consuming to all. I have to read five posts to get past a comment someone threw out and someone else defended and someone else has to step in and get back on tract. The moderators must have better things to do and we can help them if we keep our opinions and knowledge focused on the topic. Support our information and opinions with first hand experience. We all have something to offer and learn from. Give the topic justice and the thread use. I don’t think we are anything but divers. There is no need to get on a soap box, we all have one love.
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#24 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:58 PM

As for bashing agencies, getting on a defensive or even raising a flag to call attention to a reference is time consuming to all. I have to read five posts to get past a comment someone threw out and someone else defended and someone else has to step in and get back on tract. The moderators must have better things to do and we can help them if we keep our opinions and knowledge focused on the topic. Support our information and opinions with first hand experience. We all have something to offer and learn from. Give the topic justice and the thread use. I don’t think we are anything but divers. There is no need to get on a soap box, we all have one love.

:banghead: :teeth: :thankyou:

I could not have said it better myself!

#25 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:05 PM

As for bashing agencies, getting on a defensive or even raising a flag to call attention to a reference is time consuming to all. I have to read five posts to get past a comment someone threw out and someone else defended and someone else has to step in and get back on tract. The moderators must have better things to do and we can help them if we keep our opinions and knowledge focused on the topic. Support our information and opinions with first hand experience. We all have something to offer and learn from. Give the topic justice and the thread use. I don’t think we are anything but divers. There is no need to get on a soap box, we all have one love.

:banghead: :teeth: :thankyou:

I will add that LATELY our mods have been having quite the workout... :hiya:

PLEASE give them a rest....they have certainly earned it! :)

And Bill is right...we ALL LOVE DIVING...why else would we be doing it? Or be here talking about it? So let's all just share the luv...:wub:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:06 PM

:wakawaka: :tears: :D

Then perhaps you can translate it. I have no idea what he's trying to say.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#27 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:50 PM

Walter, I knew we could count on you for a friendly comment. :)
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#28 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 11 August 2006 - 01:11 AM

Just an odd thought, but since you need to take classes and develope a skill to dive, you get a certification, and it is something the average person can't do. All diving is techincal. If you get compansated then you are a professional.

Edited by ereediver, 11 August 2006 - 01:15 AM.

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:44 AM

Just an odd thought, but since you need to take classes and develope a skill to dive, you get a certification, and it is something the average person can't do. All diving is techincal. If you get compansated then you are a professional.

Not an odd thought...but a very GOOD thought! I agree with you! -ww

formerly...

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,724 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 07:46 AM

Walter, I knew we could count on you for a friendly comment. :)

:teeth::lmao::birthday:

formerly...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users