• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

An extremely sad day and heartbreaking loss...

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:43 PM

I've just received a number of calls from friends all over NC and VA advising me that my dearest friend and one of our professional members of our site, Roy Cowan gave his life today doing what he loved most.

He was the head DM on the DiverDown out of Morehead City, a position he has held for over 10 years with the same boat captain, boat and crew. The Graveyard of the Atlantic had it's share of current today and one of the divers apparently was swept away from the boat and in distress. Roy jumped in to save him and was able to get the diver back onto the boat. However when the boat captain and crew turned back around to get Roy back on the boat he had disappeared. When they retrieved him he was blue and despite working on him for over two hours, he could not be revived. We won't know the official cause of death until tomorrow but it is believed that he had a heart attack which would be the only thing that made any sense as I personally know Roy is one of the strongest swimmers I know and has successfully rescued MANY divers under his extremely capable and ever viligent watch. He has been a long time supporter of my other dive charter company Red, Wet and Blue as well as SingleDivers.com and always personally arranged to be our private divemaster whenever we were scheduled on the boat. He was our DiveMaster on our 4th of July trip and as usual in his normal form...he handled matters with a flawless precision, too infrequently seen these days. He always used to assure me 'no one will be hurt or lost on MY watch' and he was right. He has never lost a diver...and in true Roy Cowan form...he never will.

How I will bear the loss of this near and dear friend I am not sure. While I may continue to function a very intimate part of me has also died today. This man personally saved my life about 7 years ago and I've never felt that I was able to thank him. He'd laugh and say that our groups always tipped the best so that was thanks enough! He was like that...fun, dry sense of humor, yet serious as a heart attack...when it came to his 'job' as a DM.

Roy despite only being 47 years old, leaves behind several wonderful children, a couple of adorable grandchildren and a lovely wife Kim of only 4 years as well as his mother in Florida. I can only imagine the pain that they are going thru and the slim consolation that the man she loved died doing what he loved the most...diving and helping others.

Please include Roy in your prayers and thoughts today as well as his family so that they will find peace in this darkness. And please keep in mind that while we all love this sport and fortunately incidents such as today are rare...we are not immortal and even the best trogen horses can be stopped suddenly...way too suddenly.

I am devestated and overcome with sadness and grief at the injustice of losing such a good man, loving father, dear husband and beloved friend. Please forgive me for my rambling...but I feel I need to reach out, cry, and vent at the horrible injustice of it all. It is just not fair to lose such a good person, a great diver and one of my best friends in the world.

Roy know that I love you and you will always be in my heart....Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 06:56 PM

Kamala

I only got to meet Roy twice, but those times he was a very rememberable person in that he loved his job and being out with divers.

Pass along my condolances to Roys family.

Dan

Edited by Scubatooth, 13 August 2006 - 07:14 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:01 PM

That is truly heartbreaking to hear, Kamala!

My condolences to Roy's friends and family...

Edited by Terri, 13 August 2006 - 07:02 PM.

'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#4 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:25 PM

I am sorry for the loss!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#5 Big O

Big O

Meeting folks

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 13 August 2006 - 07:27 PM

That is truly heartbreaking to hear, Kamala!

My condolences to Roy's friends and family...

So Sorry Kamala!

Sounds like a "one of a kind" guy.

So sorry for your loss, and will keep him, and his family in my thoughts.

Dave
UH-HUH

#6 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:14 PM

I'm so sorry to read of the loss of such a dear friend, Kamala. My sincerest condolences to you and Roy's family.

#7 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:19 PM

It was a pleasure to have met Roy on this last Single Divers July 4th trip. I know how this loss must feel to his close friends and family.
I have been on many a dive boat and worked with numerous dive Masters. Roy was at the top of his game and proved it yet again today. Our dive community had a great loss today.
My condolences to you Kamala, and his family.
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#8 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:30 PM

Kamala,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your friend. Know that you and his family are in out thought.

#9 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 13 August 2006 - 08:47 PM

Kamala - my heart, thoughts and prayers are with you and your friends.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:07 PM

I didn't know how much these threads of support help until I started having troubles myself this year. Knowing that the words of those around you do count, all I can say Kamala is that I am so sorry to hear this and can only wish my best to you and Roy's family. We are all here to support you and offer a shoulder to lean on whenever you need it.

#11 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:23 PM

Words can never adequately convey the sense of loss.

Remember the deeds of a good man now gone, a joke, a smile, a joyous greeting...

Farewll Roy

and may God Bless you and comfort those left behind.

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#12 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

Sorry to hear about your loss Kamala. We recently had a similar loss around here involving an acquantance and I know it's quite shocking and unexpected. Take care.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:25 PM

I didn't know how much these threads of support help until I started having troubles myself this year. Knowing that the words of those around you do count, all I can say Kamala is that I am so sorry to hear this and can only wish my best to you and Roy's family. We are all here to support you and offer a shoulder to lean on whenever you need it.

Thank you Michelle. And yes...the kinds words of support do mean a great deal. They touch the heart and soothe the rawness.

It is in the human contact that we can eventually heal. For that I can not thank you all enough.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#14 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:37 PM

I came across this on a search tonight, and thought it was fitting

Lord , by the power of your word you stilled the chaos of the primeval seas, you made the raging waters of the Flood subside, and calmed the storm on the sea of Galilee. As we commit the body (earthly remains) of our brother to the deep, grant him peace and tranquility until that day when he will be raised to the glory of new life.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#15 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 13 August 2006 - 09:38 PM

A sad loss of a noble man who put others before himself....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users