• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Buoyancy Compensators 101

• Please log in to reply
84 replies to this topic

Poll: Buoyancy Compensators 101: the 3 Ws (38 member(s) have cast votes)

What Do You Primarily Dive?

1. Vest-style BC that is weight integrated (17 votes [44.74%])

Percentage of vote: 44.74%

2. Vest-style BC with a weight belt if needed (6 votes [15.79%])

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

3. Vest-style BC with no additional weight (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. BP/W with a weight belt if needed (10 votes [26.32%])

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

5. BP/W with no additional weight (2 votes [5.26%])

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

6. Other (3 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#76 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 01:52 PM

Thx for the pic, Perrone! That BC, BTW, comes with purple accents, too! :D

I'm not avoiding the *solution*, Perrone, I just haven't tried it yet so I can't comment. I may very well wind up in a BP/W but then I'm back to the situation of having all my weight on my BC. Didn't you write that in my 12mm core case, that's a bad thing?

Dive_Girl, I agree with your assessment. As Perrone pointed out, the Genesis I was using made wearing a weight belt most awkward!

#77 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 02:00 PM

No, wearing the BP/W does not put you back to wearing all your weight on the BC. In your tropical regular diving, you won't need any more weight most likely, so you get to dive like I do most of the time. EXTREMELY streamlined and unencumbered.

For cold water diving, the BP/W closes around the waist with just a piece of 2" webbing and a buckle off to the side.. Making it VERY easy to put on a weightbelt without fighting the BC. By incorporating some of the weight in the BP/W but not ALL of it, you can take some weight off your belt, but still maintain some balance.

#78 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 21 August 2006 - 03:54 PM

I am going to suggest that you continue to rent gear for now (until you finally realize that the back plate and wing is the choice for you :D ). Some things you just have to live to understand. I would prefer that you do that before plunking down the money.

If you ever come down this way, let me know, and I will make sure that there is something for you to try out. Then, you decide what works best for you.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#79 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 04:22 PM

I am going to suggest that you continue to rent gear for now (until you finally realize that the back plate and wing is the choice for you :cool2: ). Some things you just have to live to understand. I would prefer that you do that before plunking down the money.

If you ever come down this way, let me know, and I will make sure that there is something for you to try out. Then, you decide what works best for you.

No worries about money-plunking! I will definitely try a BP/W before I buy a BC. :D

As for "down this way"... I'm aiming for next year. I'll keep you posted and plan accordingly! :cool2:

#80 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:04 PM

I dive with a jacket style, back inflate with integrated weights, by Scuba Advantage. WW helped me select it at a dive shop in Dallas before I went to Bonaire last year. I remember using a weight belt in OW class and I hated it. I had a cushioned weight belt, but I still found the weights to be uncomfortable around my waist. The integrated weights are far more comfortable, although it does make your BC heavy to move around once the weights are in it. It's worth the trade off for me. One way or another, you're still going to have to carry those weights around. I think it all boils down to personal preference. Try on a few and pick one that is comfortable to you. I like the roomy pockets on mine, there's plenty of room for a small flash light, or other stuff, and lots of D rings to clip stuff.

#81 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 21 August 2006 - 06:13 PM

Nearly all vest style BCs will be rather long, and cover the waist, making it difficult to don the weightbelt. The Genesis you tried on should have been indicative of that.

Women's cut BCs are traditionally shorter as it has been seen that fitting a woman in a man sized or even "unisex" size BC tend to result in a BC that is too long on a woman's torso. And it is interesting to watch some male instructors or salesmen fit a woman with gear or give gear references. ScubaDadMiami's suggestion to try items out is best, but that's what you intend to do anyway, so you are on the right track! I see this thread as a scouting mission for which ones to try! :evilgrin:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#82 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:28 PM

Nearly all vest style BCs will be rather long, and cover the waist, making it difficult to don the weightbelt. The Genesis you tried on should have been indicative of that.

Women's cut BCs are traditionally shorter as it has been seen that fitting a woman in a man sized or even "unisex" size BC tend to result in a BC that is too long on a woman's torso. And it is interesting to watch some male instructors or salesmen fit a woman with gear or give gear references. ScubaDadMiami's suggestion to try items out is best, but that's what you intend to do anyway, so you are on the right track! I see this thread as a scouting mission for which ones to try! :D

Along with BCs, there are also shorter and longer sized back plates. So, between all of these choices, there will be something that is right for you.

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#83 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 09:42 PM

May I tell you a little story here?

Last year, a friend and co-worker decided to start diving again after many years off. I referred him to a friend of mine for instruction (an independent instructor), and I accompanied the group, which I actually put together for the instructor, to a LDS that I use a lot. This shop carries many, many lines of equipment. They run no charters or classes there; they only sell and service gear. So, they have a lot of lines from which to choose.

Since this friend had started on a traditional jacket style BC, he elected to get that. The other students went with the back plate set up. At the time, I told him that this would limit his future diving needs if he decided to move into more advanced dives. His position was that he would be willing to cross that bridge if it ever needed crossing.

We did a couple of dives together recently. Seeing the limited NDL bottom time that he could make on our dives, especially those toward the deeper end of the recreational spectrum, he now wants to take a Nitrox class. He is also considering purchasing his first set of tanks. Because of his gas needs, he is considering getting larger tanks or even doubles. (Among other benefits, double 80s allow the diver to use over 80 cubic feet on the first dive on the outing, which is typically deeper than the second dive, reserving the remainder of the gas in the tanks for the shallower second dive. I am not going to go into this whole thing now because this gets away from my point.)

Guess what? If he opts for doubles, he will have to buy something that can be used with them because his traditional jacket BC won't work for them. His jacket BC is barely one year old. If he had gone with a back plate and wing from the outset, he would, at most, only need to buy a new wing.

A back plate and wing preserves more options for the diver at a lesser overall cost if the diver ever pursues anything beyond what the initial set up will handle. Don't think it will never happen to you. That's how a lot of us started off! :D

#84 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 August 2006 - 10:35 PM

My dear Howard,

As always, I appreciate your advice so rest assured, I'm seriously considering a BP/W. (I'm just itchin' to try one out!) But come on... me in doubles?? I could barely stand up with an AL80! :D

In fact, when I finished my fifth and final dive in Panama City, I could not stand up! I lost my footing and fell in about 1 foot of mucky sand and could barely get to my knees. Gregg had to trudge back many, many yards to help me up. Well, even with his assistance, I just could not get up! He wound up removing my BC and tank and dragging them to more solid sand while I very slowly staggered to my feet and back into that dreaded contraption for an excruciatingly long walk back to the van. :diver: (Now you know why I'm so anxious to try boat diving? :diver:) Mind you for this particular dive, I was wearing a steel tank.

#85 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 22 August 2006 - 11:15 AM

Give the interesting discussion that was evolving around backplates and traditional BCs and the use of doubles, I have split these posts off into their own new thread which can be found here:

BC vest and Backplate/Wing

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users