• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hand me my flippers - another Pop Quiz

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:33 PM

Remember your Instructor's admonition? "These are FINS, not flippers. This is your MASK, not your goggles."

What was this Instructor's problem? Who cares? So what?

Well, the fact is terminology is important. It may be fun, it may cost you a beer when you're at the lake on your checkout dives, but what happens later?

It is important to continuously learn in diving, and one of the ways is to demonstrate your attention to the details. Your peers and the professionals around you will be assessing you based on many factors, but if you're asking your buddy to turn on your "oxygen", the chances of being brought into a discussion about planned run time, bottom time and gas management for the dive may be nil.

One of the first things new divers start working on is improving their air consumption. The fundamental terminology here revolves around SAC - Surface Air Consumption, and RMV - Respiratory Minute Volume. It is important to not only know the acronyms, but to understand what they mean.

There is a good discussion of SAC and RMV here: What's the difference between SAC & RMV?

So, what would your dive friends be talking about if they were discussing soft bottom and hard bottom? (and no, it's not how Angelina is getting back to form after childbirth)

What other terms are puzzling you?
Or what terms did you find puzzling when you first started that you can share and clarify here?

No term will be considered too simple.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#2 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:44 PM

Of course there are sometimes regional differnces....spanner=wrench,G-clamp=C-clamp and I sure the same thing exsist in diving.

#3 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 August 2006 - 11:52 PM

What "other" terms? Hell, I'm still puzzled by hard bottom, soft bottom and RMV! :thankyou: (This thread is the first exposure I've had to these terms.)

I learned a bit about SAC though... And apparently mine's not too bad for a newbie! :cheerleader:

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:28 PM

What "other" terms? Hell, I'm still puzzled by hard bottom, soft bottom and RMV! :teeth: (This thread is the first exposure I've had to these terms.)

I learned a bit about SAC though... And apparently mine's not too bad for a newbie! :P

SAC is what you are using on your current tank in psi. RMV is how many cubic feet per minute you use, and that can be converted into SAC for any size tank with any fill pressure.

Soft bottom = planned bottom. Hard bottom = absolute max bottom before your gas mix is dangerous. Some also use the term to indicate the physical bottom of the dive are (the sand bottom, etc.).
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:48 PM

Thank you, Howard! You're the best! :teeth:

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 17 August 2006 - 03:51 PM

What "other" terms? Hell, I'm still puzzled by hard bottom, soft bottom and RMV! :teeth: (This thread is the first exposure I've had to these terms.)

And this is exactly why this topic has been brought up for discussion! :P

Terminology can be important in a number of respects, many of which Capn Jack touched upon above.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,701 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:37 PM

How about why and when you say 'gas' vs. 'air' such as in an OOA or OOG situation.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 04:47 PM

air for means just that 21% o2

gas can be anything other then 21%(above or below)

mix to me means that there is helium in it as well.

Tomato, tomatoe, potato, patato ets all good, thats the problem with english so many different words have the same meaning

Tooth

Edited by Scubatooth, 17 August 2006 - 05:01 PM.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:36 PM

Saying "air" is like saying "oxygen". It is a VERY specific term. Gas is the generic term. Just like most divers cringe when they read an accident report in the newspaper that says the divers oxygen tanks were emtpy, we cringe a bit when someone refers to air, because it carries certain connotations.

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 August 2006 - 06:42 PM

What "other" terms? Hell, I'm still puzzled by hard bottom, soft bottom

Soft bottom = planned bottom. Hard bottom = absolute max bottom before your gas mix is dangerous. Some also use the term to indicate the physical bottom of the dive are (the sand bottom, etc.).

And even here there is discrepancy. When I refer to a soft-bottom, I am saying this is my intended dive depth. When I say "hard bottom" in relation to dive depth, I am saying I absolutely do NOT want to go below this depth. The ONLY term I use for when a mix might become toxic is MOD. It is an immistakable term with a clear and well understood definition.

So in my Oriskany post, my soft bottom was 100ft. That was the depth I wanted to stay around. 110 was my hard bottom, I told my buddy that I did not want to be below that depth for anything other than an emergency. However my MOD was 132ft. I knew that if the crap hit the fan, I had enough wiggle room to descend to the deck of the ship, sort out a problem, and ascend. Hard bottom can also mean a physical maximum depth available on the site. Hard Bottom can also be used to describe the nature of the site... sand, silt, rock, hard bottom, gravel, etc.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 17 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

Remember your Instructor's admonition? "These are FINS, not flippers. This is your MASK, not your goggles."

I do remember that and with regard to mask/goggles there's actually a reason. A mask covers your nose, goggles don't. OTOH, there's no reason for the fins/flippers issue. I followed it strickly until I met guys who started diving about the time I was born. A very high percentage of them say, "flippers." If the old moss backs say flippers, who am I to say they're wrong?

Hard bottom can also mean a physical maximum depth available on the site. Hard Bottom can also be used to describe the nature of the site... sand, silt, rock, hard bottom, gravel, etc.

That's the way I use the term. Your MOD (Maximum Operating Depth) is not a hard bottom. There's nothing hard about it.

Just like most divers cringe when they read an accident report in the newspaper that says the divers oxygen tanks were emtpy, we cringe a bit when someone refers to air, because it carries certain connotations.

There's no reason to cringe if the diver is using air.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 18 August 2006 - 07:42 AM

Saying "air" is like saying "oxygen". It is a VERY specific term. Gas is the generic term. Just like most divers cringe when they read an accident report in the newspaper that says the divers oxygen tanks were emtpy, we cringe a bit when someone refers to air, because it carries certain connotations.

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed.
If you do read the newspaper, you're misinformed.
-Mark Twain-
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

Lets not get into that. I just don't use air.

Sounds like another good thread starter! :sleepy:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#14 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:37 AM

Are you getting paid by the thread or something? :sleepy:

Sure, I'll be happy to post why I don't use air.

#15 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 18 August 2006 - 10:40 AM

::Miss Cranky Pants ON

You put AIR in your tanks... You put GAS in your car...You get GAS when you eat beans..... I don't care if it's 21% 32% 36% heilum, or whatever it's still AIR.....

In any definition of GAS I cannot find it talking about AIR we BREATHE.

gas n.
pl. gas·es or gas·ses

The state of matter distinguished from the solid and liquid states by relatively low density and viscosity, relatively great expansion and contraction with changes in pressure and temperature, the ability to diffuse readily, and the spontaneous tendency to become distributed uniformly throughout any container.
A substance in the gaseous state.
A gaseous fuel, such as natural gas.
Gasoline.
The speed control of a gasoline engine. Used with the: Step on the gas.
A gaseous asphyxiant, irritant, or poison.
A gaseous anesthetic, such as nitrous oxide.

Flatulence.
Flatus.
Slang. Idle or boastful talk.
Slang. Someone or something exceptionally exciting or entertaining: The party was a gas.

[source: Dictionary.com]

::Miss Cranky Pants OFF

Now I'm gonna put some bumpers on my boat.
Sempar Partus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users