• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What does 2007 Hold In Store for YOUR travel plans?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,622 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:06 PM

As I look into my crystal ball which is clear as mud :banghead: ...trying to plan SD's 2007 trips I am struck by two major obstacles...

1. The dive industry has an annual trade show called DEMA which promotes equipment and travel specials, new releases and opportunities for the coming year in the fall. Usually this show is the first week of October but this year it is the first week of November...a full month later than last year. Why is this bad? Well we use that show to get the HOT Deals and COOL SPECIALS that we offer our members from that show and it is still several months away. NOT GOOD FOR PLANNING PURPOSES.

2. Travel as we know it has changed. It has already started to impact SD and will continue to impact SD and others in the industry. Prices have gone up for basic and essential items and will continue to go up due to fuel prices. (Less money for diving.) Fuel is a major component of our industry and as it rises so does the price of our sport. In fact in many cases the price of the airline ticket is more than the trip itself. (this will change our perspective on dive trips.) Terror threats and security issues around the world impact our sport and will continue to impact our sport. When the sport is impacted WE are impacted.

So now the question is to you...how do you want to travel in 2007? Do you want to stay closer to home diving more local destinations? Do you want trips that are more budget conscience such as our Fantasy Island trip? And speaking of the Fantasy Island trip do you want to attend LARGER trips that offer special perks for the participants i.e. games, contests, combining people of like interests i.e. singles trips etc. Or do you prefer to find a few people to travel with and 'do your own thing' using one of SD's wholesale contracts?

PLEASE take a moment to talk about your travel plans and expectations for 2007. While we certainly want to know where you want to travel as in THIS THREAD we also want to know what is motivating your upcoming travel decisions.

Will you be traveling as much? Will you take more 'long weekends' vs. full week trips? Will you take one really nice trip for 7-14 days so you can maximize the cost of getting there? Will your travel habits NOT change? Or will they be different due to changes in what you can carry in your luggage and longer processing and logistics times at the airport?

Please share with us how you think your travel will change, remain the same or be impacted by the changes we are facing. Please do not use this as an opportunity to vent your frustrations with how or why things have chained...we are all frustrated and complaining about it will not change it nor solve it. :welcome:

However getting your input will allow us to better adapt our travel plans for what you most want or need. By doing so we'll also ensure that WE are going to be around when its all said and done because we offered you trips and travel the way you wanted it vs. what we 'guessed' you might want or need. So far I've been lucky taking the guessing route...but I'd rather not keep 'pushing my luck' as they say and I'd rather get some valuable input from our members and those wanting to use our services! :D

Thank you for your input, your support and for being an active member in our community! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 sandiegocarol

sandiegocarol

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 17 August 2006 - 12:51 PM

My travel plans won't change. I like the closer trips for financial reasons and less flying time. I would like to take a trip possibly to a farther destination for longer than 1 week once a year. The summer is best for me if the trip is longer than a week.

#3 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:34 PM

For right now my travel wont change unless prices really go up or that the airlines or TSA goes overboard with restrictions

Well for right now im restricted on travel other then the breaks that are scheduled into my paramedic training. In 07 for which im saving for now. Im looking at going to roatan for atleast a week, the NC/FG double header, and then at the end of the year potentally the Austrailla trip. The first three trips may get nixed if i apply for and get the internship im planning on applying for next summer.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#4 Mermaid Lady

Mermaid Lady

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,616 posts
  • Board Status:Looking for freedive-friendly trips
  • Cert Level:Advanced, Nitrox, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:~180

Posted 17 August 2006 - 01:40 PM

I am hoping that there will be a south pacific trip sometime in the spring of 2007.

Also I am DEFINITELY interested in the Australia Liveaboard. Let me kno w when you start taking deposits
Cheers,
Teresa,
The original
Mermaid Lady
Bass player for the band formerly known as Opulent.

"'
I'm only wearing black until they come out with something darker..."

#5 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 05:32 PM

My travel plans will not change. I'll be vacationing in either St. Lucia or Antigua in late April or May. :sleepy:
The way I see it, "it is what it is" and I can't change it so...........Other than that I'll do weekend diving through to Thanksgiving here in Massachusetts :cheerleader:

Edited by madlobster, 17 August 2006 - 05:33 PM.

"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#6 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

The travel restrictions will not change my intentions, however my single income status might!

I know, I know, plan ahead!

I am interested in whatever I can afford. If it is a trip I am really aching to do I will make it, somehow.

Local trips are good too!!!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#7 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 17 August 2006 - 09:14 PM

The travel restrictions will not change my intentions, however my single income status might!

I know, I know, plan ahead!

I am interested in whatever I can afford. If it is a trip I am really aching to do I will make it, somehow.

Local trips are good too!!!

My travel plans will not change... I am looking for a trip to the South Pacific area for next year... and if I can do a couple more localized trips Ill do those as well... all depends on time and money...
Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! I'm going to ROATAN!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

#8 SuperDave

SuperDave

• PipPipPipPip
  • 288 posts

Posted 18 August 2006 - 05:27 AM

Tavel plans are the same and will fall between April 1 and May 30, then maybe the AU trip in December. Would like a long trip (2 weeks) somewhere like Belize that can mix lots of diving and some dirt adventures. Prefer the longer trips due to travel being a pain (financially and effort) out of Idaho.

SD
Member of Sikorsky Light Utility Taxi Service Kuwait

#9 ScubaDawg

ScubaDawg

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:125

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:04 AM

Well at my current level of diving abilities (newbie) I am looking at trying to get as much experience as possible so one week trips any time of the year work for me. Places I'm interested in include Kona, Belize, Roatan, Cozumel(again) Bonaire and maybe the Caymans......Certainly would consider other places too, just need to know soon to book around other travel such as cruises and my annual trek to Maui in May! Thanks for any info,,,,Karen

#10 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 19 August 2006 - 10:34 AM

My travel plans currently won't change either. I'm now looking for the more exotic locations. Love Cozumel but I've been there so many times it's not high on my list anymore. I'm more interested in South Pacific locations also, Palau, Wakatobi, etc.

Or if Caribbean places like Dominica or Cayman Brac, Littlle Cayman. I've been to Grand Cayman and would not go back.

Living in Colorado, I perfer a least a week long trip. The shorter ones just aren't worth the effort.

I'm always interested in live aboard trips...such a great way to travel.

#11 ASDmike

ASDmike

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:17 AM

Same here. My 2007 vacation trips will probably be a similar mix of diving, land tours and extended weekend getaways. Total time is the same, I still have only 15 vacation days-- so I will continue to try to take advantage of the days around holidays to stretch the number of trips to 4 weeks + a xmas week trip. Besides time off, higher costs is not the factor, but rather that my employer is ok with some "new" countries and less thrilled with some others that were previously ok. So I can now do a land tour based around Budepest, but probably should wait on dive trips to Wakatobi or the Red Sea. So the "big one" will probably be the Aussie liveaboard/land extension. :D
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#12 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 19 August 2006 - 11:18 AM

For my own reasons, I will be staying within driving range next year. Budget is a huge factor as I want a CCR in a year or two and can't get one if I spend my discretionary income on longer trips. As well, I get four weeks per year of vacation. That sounds like a lot until you figure that a trip like I took to NC this last year takes up a little better than a quarter of my year's vacation. I still have to have vacation left for odds and ends.

In 2008, I may be interested in something more exotic again. We shall see.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#13 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 19 August 2006 - 02:28 PM

:D I do not dive to get wet or go just hang out with a group….I go for the best diving, experience and adventure that can found anywhere in the world. Destinations like Wakatobi, Palau etc. need to be booked around 6 months in advance….the longer you wait for deals…well…lets take Palau for example if you tried to book a trip in December for March….you will stay at one hotel for two nights and another for a couple of nights and so on….and if the Dive operators are booked…you will get a couple of people on one boat then another couple of people on another and so on….About four months ago when I was trying to replace Timor this Sept. due to the violence that broke out in April.... I tried to get into Wakatobi (remember I am a single)…they could only fit me in certain weeks of Aug or Oct. Some of these places book 9 months to a year in advance… Plus for 10 to a 14-day vacation most people need to book that vacation time months in advance. I have 5 trips planned for 2007, 3 are booked.

Kamala as a suggestion how about posting a Palau and a Wakatobi trip with Ball Park prices and see how many will commit to each trip. Require a deposit and then refund the monies on a specific trip if you do not get enough people to sign up before your dead line and before you make any financial commitments to the operators for that particular trip…

You can also do all the deal trips to Cozumel, Fantasy Island etc….for the people who cannot get a couple of weeks off or do not want to spend 3k to 5k for a trip...and you make everyone happy :-D …..Just a thought.
You must endeavor to pursue!

#14 nurseshark

nurseshark

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 19 August 2006 - 05:38 PM

Hey Kamala,

I am on the very interested and NEED to go list for the Australian liveaboard.

For the reason that , that trip will be costly to me, I would like to see more long weekend trips(3-4 day trips) to the Flower Gardens next year. I find the diving their on par with the rest of the carribean for big animal sitings and healthy reef life. Also I dont have to hassel with the airlines over my luggage and can just drive down for the weekend.

Karen

#15 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:13 PM

I gotta agree with Scott. I want quality diving over just getting wet. While I enjoy diving in the Caribbean I find the diving in the Indo/Pacific much better and would prefer areas there. Security won't effect my plans I'll just bite the bullet and show up at the airports early and stay on top of all the rule changes so I will reduce my chances of being hassled. I've got one trip planned and booked for 2007(Feb 8 - Mar 4) but would like to do some others during the summer or fall. It's probably to late to book the Galapagos for the summer of 07 but while at Dema check out the summer of 08. Coco's, PNG and the Solomon Islands are also high on my list. As you know I prefer liveaboards but will consider land based.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users