• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

To pee or not to pee, that is the question

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#91 mcgintz

mcgintz

Getting started

• Pip
  • 40 posts
  • Board Status:In town
  • Cert Level:WASi open Water
  • Logged Dives:31

Posted 01 September 2004 - 04:05 PM

When diving in Cold water, Nor Cal(monterey) when I get really cold and then pee in my suit I feel better(war. SO mer too) I really dont care.

Better peeing in a wet suit surrounded by all kinds of water rather then peeing in your fatigues in a jungle when you dont have time to clean up. talk about stinking, try being with 8 guys that are doing it and who travel about 20 miles a day, that is bad.
"There are those that dream of sucess and then there are those that wake up and do something about it. " What one are you?

#92 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 18 October 2004 - 05:08 PM

Fascinating thread. More replies than any other, I think. In Britain tech divers all pee in their drysuits, to the extent that if you don't you're accused of not hydrating properly. Usually several times a dive. Males usually wear a sheath with a P-valve, women a specially designed nappy. Some men also prefer the nappy (dry cavers of both sexes use them). I am talking about dives upwards of 90 minutes long. And incidentally, I find cold water stimulates the need to pee far more than warm.

On a recent week-long cold water liveaboard, one of my male companions went through the ritual of opening the P-valve and then let go. Unfortunately, as he did so the sheath slipped off, too late for him to hold back. Somewhat distracted, he wasn't quick witted enough to close the P-valve (he did eventually).

When in due course he surfaced he was unable to leave the water, as his suit was half full of a mixture of.....you're ahead of me. With some help he removed all his gear in the water and with even more help was hauled back onto the boat. After he explained his predicament it was surprising that none of his companions wanted to open his suit zip for him, and that job fell to a crew member. He stripped to the very barest essentials out on the deck and retreated to the shower, and for once no-one complained about how much water he was using. His suit and inner suit were dumped back in the sea as there wasn't a hose, then draped over the engine in a partially vain attempt at drying them for the next day.

When warm water tech diving I also have no option but to pee. I find the trick is to flush the suit out repeatedly with sea water afterwards (opening the zip if necessary - difficult with a rear zip), and not to pee in the final 10 minutes of the dive.

I've never seen a semi-dry with a P-valve, though they may exist. Without one a semi-dry or even a thick wetsuit must be the worst possible suit to pee in, as you can't flush it out. I can't see any way a woman could wear a nappy in one of these.

Because most divers do pee during a dive, at my (warm water) dive center all suits are washed and disinfected after use, and hung up so they dry completely. Even so, I wouldn't be keen on wearing a rental suit myself, and I'm surprised, given how cheap they are, how many people are happy to rent.

Edited by peterbj7, 18 October 2004 - 05:11 PM.

#93 dive_addict

dive_addict

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:2.7

Posted 18 October 2004 - 06:59 PM

In the pacific northwest, a lot of tech divers wear diapers. Although you can't go completely, just enough to relieve pressure. Nobody I knows uses a p-valve. Something about cold water and shrinkage... :wavey:

If I dive wet, I will pee. Although the next time I dive dry, I get the urge. I had a friend mess his drysuit this way. If I really had to go, I'd pee in my drysuit before ending a dive.

If ya gotta go, ya gotta go!!!
Life's a beach, then you dive!

#94 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 October 2004 - 01:12 PM

:hiya: Ewwwwww, that's the last time you get to ride in my rig with your suit on - wetsuit seat covers or not! :wavey: :welcome:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#95 dive_addict

dive_addict

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:2.7

Posted 19 October 2004 - 06:08 PM

Now Nicolle, you're telling me that you don't pee in your wetsuit? Then why does it smell so funky!!!? Look it made all the fish turn green! :P :o :fish:

If I wear my drysuit can I ride in your rig? I'd let you ride in my truck with your wetsuit! Well, maybe just in the bed. :lmao:
Life's a beach, then you dive!

#96 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 19 October 2004 - 07:07 PM

Well...I guess I'll join the "I pee in my wetsuit" group....How can you not? I drink so much water on a dive trip.....Anyway I have to say of the many things I have learned diving with Walter one of my favorites is the 45% angle flush...Folks, it works. I have flushed my suit many times :lmao: It feels awsome also you just have to be ready for the initial additional bouyancy!
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#97 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 19 October 2004 - 11:19 PM

I got so used to not peeing in my wet suit that, now that I have a dry suit with a pee valve, I have yet to . . . er, christen :P , my dry suit. I will be sure to pass out cigars to all of you on the day of the big event! :o

On the other hand, I would seriously reconsider intentionally holding back on consuming fluids as some have mentioned here. You will be a lot better served to stay well hydrated. There have been many cases of people who intentionally held back on hydration in order to avoid peeing in their suits. No kidding.

Guess where they wound up? That's right, in the chamber after getting bent. Even after receiving large amounts of hydration, they still passed very dark urine, a sign of severe dehydration.

You will feel a lot better hydrating and peeing in your suit than you will when you are sitting there in the chamber, thinking how stupid you were to take such a chance just to avoid peeing in your wet suit. :lmao:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#98 randy54

randy54

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:150+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 07:35 AM

wetsuit = pee, drysit = don't pee in it. Have had a serious benign postrate enlargement probelm for several years. Fun thing for guys to look forward to as we age. As the prostrate grows, and it does in all males, it starts closign off the urethra (sp), and makes it very difficult to release a flow. The longer you hold back, the harder it is to go, and the more urgent the need gets. I now thank the pee gods for Flowmax, a wonderful once a day capsule that brings sweet relief.
You may not be able to smell the roses underwater, but you can sea horses.

#99 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:28 AM

Ok now I've joined the ranks of drysuit divers...and being female so the pee valve is not an option for me...what brand and/or type of diapers (nappy's as you Brits say) do you recommend and why?

Now to figure out how to er...um...hide them under a bathing suit! LOL!!! Or maybe its shorts from here on in that I dive in if I'm wearing 'protection'!

Any advice??? -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#100 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 09:41 AM

Ok now I've joined the ranks of drysuit divers...and being female so the pee valve is not an option for me...what brand and/or type of diapers (nappy's as you Brits say) do you recommend and why?

Now to figure out how to er...um...hide them under a bathing suit! LOL!!! Or maybe its shorts from here on in that I dive in if I'm wearing 'protection'!

Any advice???  -ww

Everyone I know who use them says "It Depends".

Edited by WileEDiver, 20 October 2004 - 09:42 AM.

–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#101 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 20 October 2004 - 10:38 AM

I cannot tell a lie. I pee in my wetsuit. The water up north is cold and not wanting to go dehydrated well... the urge comes.. why fight it. Trying to move around and enjoy the dive while my bladder is screaming is not what I call fun. I will flush some fresh water down my suit to help clean it out no matter how cold the water is. Just a good cleaning when the day is done and ready to go again tomorrow.

Some people say, the world is their oyster, others say, the ocean is my toilet. :diver:
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#102 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 20 October 2004 - 11:08 AM

Any advice??? -ww

A suggestion here. I don't dive with diapers or depends and I also don't hold back on hydration. The owner of the shop I teach my classes through is a technical diver and instructor. I have found his advice best thus far and that is to start hydrating 5 days prior to diving. Then, don't drink so much on the actual day of diving. Your body is already hydrated, as most people don't realize that they walk around most days dehydrated (which is fine for surface dwellers), and so you won't need to cram water in your body the day of the dives. Do hydrate in-between dives though, as we know we sweat or work off at least 8oz on a dive.

This has been extremely helpful when diving off my dive buddy's open 19' boat with 3 male dive buddies, all of us in drysuits, and no active head....

Of course, WW, if you really want to wear depends and make a fashion statement, I'll be there with the camera!

(side note: if actual technical diving though with long deco stops, it is likely depends or something to that effect will need to be used - the above is in reference to recreational diving with a drysuit as a woman with NO PEE VALVE, a conspiracy I say!)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#103 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:00 PM

Excellent point. Hydration begins days before the dive. Thanks for the reminder.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#104 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 20 October 2004 - 12:53 PM

Of course, WW, if you really want to wear depends and make a fashion statement, I'll be there with the camera!

I think that alone would be worth the price of admission.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#105 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,594 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 October 2004 - 03:41 PM

I think that alone would be worth the price of admission.

Hmm....I wonder if this is the sure fire way I've been looking for to make SD profitable???? I'll have to give it some consideration! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users