• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is it a crush? Infatuation or lust?

• Please log in to reply
60 replies to this topic

#16 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:13 PM

Love doesn't just last, it grows.

Yes, but so can infatuation, so that doesn't help you know which it is.

I'm gonna have to think on that one...haven't experienced that myself...that I know of.

Like I said...not sure I would know it if it bit me on the nose. I haven't exactly had a great track record in that area of my life. I'd like to believe that my experience has helped me to identify some of what it isn't. As far as the quest for it, or what it is...I'd be pretty happy with as much as a hug right now. :twist:

#17 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:24 AM

Can't tell the difference between love and infatuation?? I found the following HERE.

The noun infatuation has 3 meanings:

Meaning #1: foolish and usually extravagant passion or love or admiration

Meaning #2: temporary love of an adolescent
Synonyms: puppy love, calf love, crush

Meaning #3: an object of extravagant short-lived passion

Many moons ago, a very wise sage wrote something applicable to this present thread that's worth reposting:

Physical love: my SO makes a special trip to the store to buy me a bottle of her favorite cologne so I smell good for her when we make whoopie.

Real love: my SO makes a special trip to the store to buy me a bottle of Kaopectate when my biological functions aren't functioning properly.

Intimacy is wonderful, and the most intimate thing one person can do for another is to take care of them.

:twist:

#18 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:08 AM

Yes, but so can infatuation, so that doesn't help you know which it is.

That one made me smirk, thanks Walter!

Any time, Sweetheart.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#19 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:10 AM

Ah, Love, Lust, Infatuation, and someone mentioned Chemistry.

I have learned what love is, but I can't define it. I know that without my love, I'm not sure I could survive. Not as a whole person, anyway. I could write a few pages here, but I won't. I've been married for over 27 years. I still smile everytime I lay my eyes on Donna.

Lust, is when you just have the hots for someone. See Chemistry. You can also have the hots for someone you are truly in love with or are infatuated with.

Infatuation to me is that crush I had on Ginny (Walter knows who I mean) from about 4th grade until I truly fell in love as a senior in high school. By the way, Ginny is still a very good friend. So is my high school sweetheart. That one took a while for me to recover.

Chemistry? That to me is the pheremone high you get when you get close to someone that gives off the pheremones that affect you physically. I've had about two situations in my life where that has happened. My heart rate goes up, I begin to sweat, and my body reacts in other physical ways that I choose to not describe here. Let us say, that I stay seated until the reaction goes away. This situation will result is some very good sex if both individuals are to have the same reaction and are also inclined to act on their physical reactions to those pheremones. This is very different than true love or infatuation, but can be a precursor to Lust.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#20 dad+2(.5)

dad+2(.5)

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level:open water,nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 15 September 2006 - 08:21 AM

:fish2: :fish2: :fish: Lust is when you have to chew your own arm off ithe morning..so you don't wake her.......love is when you hope she dosn't chew her arm off for the same reason........just kiddin...love is forever,lust is for now!
"Here's to woman! Would that we could fall into her arms without falling into her hands"Ambrose Bierce, quoted in Grattan's Bitter Bierce

#21 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:24 AM

:fish2: :fish2: :birthday: Lust is when you have to chew your own arm off ithe morning..so you don't wake her.......love is when you hope she dosn't chew her arm off for the same reason........just kiddin...love is forever,lust is for now!

coyote ugly ???? :fish:

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:58 AM

Everyone had a crush on Ginny, well except Lee.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 15 September 2006 - 11:51 AM

:fish2: :fish2: :fish: Lust is when you have to chew your own arm off ithe morning..so you don't wake her.......love is when you hope she dosn't chew her arm off for the same reason........just kiddin...love is forever,lust is for now!

Love is forever??? I can guarantee I don't love my ex any more. So are you saying I was in lust with her for nine years? What a definition, if it goes away at any time before you die, it wasn't love. If you die before it goes away, well shucks, it was love.

Its all chemical cascades in the brain folks. There ain't no cupid and love is a side effect of alcohol poisoning.
If the "rush" goes away and you still like the person and can talk to them - call it love
If the "rush" goes away and you are wondering why the hell you are still there - call it lust
If there was no "rush" but you were both drunk and horny - call it a 1 night stand and call a cab

I can figure all of that out, now I can't figure out why I never have a date for Valentine's day. :birthday:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:30 PM

I can figure all of that out, now I can't figure out why I never have a date for Valentine's day. :fish:

Uh...have you thought about your delivery? :fish2:

Just kidding...I'll be your Valentine and you have about 5 months to get it right! :fish2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#25 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 12:49 PM

I'm sure it's the delivery. The correct response to "What do you do for a living?" is, "I'm a DJ." It is not, "I'm a DJ at.........."

DSSW,

WWW™

#26 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 September 2006 - 01:17 PM

I'm sure it's the delivery. The correct response to "What do you do for a living?" is, "I'm a DJ." It is not, "I'm a DJ at.........."

:fish2: :fish2: :fish:

Walter you are soooooooooooooooooooooooo right!!! I had forgotten about that one! :birthday: -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#27 jonjon

jonjon

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Cert Level:dive master
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:01 PM

Just returned from Singles week in Roatan hosted by Fantasy Island Beach Resort and of course SingleDivers.com!

We had 45 people there and the resort had about 60. It was interesting to watch the 'connections' being made during the week. Many new dive buddy teams were formed, a number of new friendships and from all appearances some new romantic encounters. But how does one know if its a crush, infatuation or the 'real deal'? Is it lust, like or love?

How do you know what it is when you've met someone new and you feel something tingle? Some surge of emotion? Some tension and excitement...

#28 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:04 PM

Awww, but come on! That's what makes Hawk the Hawk! We love you Hawk and don't change your delivery at all! :fish2:

#29 jonjon

jonjon

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • Cert Level:dive master
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 15 September 2006 - 02:11 PM

Just returned from Singles week in Roatan hosted by Fantasy Island Beach Resort and of course SingleDivers.com!

We had 45 people there and the resort had about 60. It was interesting to watch the 'connections' being made during the week. Many new dive buddy teams were formed, a number of new friendships and from all appearances some new romantic encounters. But how does one know if its a crush, infatuation or the 'real deal'? Is it lust, like or love?

How do you know what it is when you've met someone new and you feel something tingle? Some surge of emotion? Some tension and excitement...

I am new at thisand still learning how to navigate this website,
Subject : LOVE or LUST how can you tell?
Here is some of my thoughts on the subject, I will give you an example of my opinion of someone who does not love their spouse or children. Recently I was on a job assignment on the coast of Congo Africa and worked with a very macho muscle head type guy, he got on the subject of the war in Iraq, muscle man stated that he wouldn't die fighting for anything or anyone. I asked him about his wife and children and would he defend them to the death if neccesary. His reply was "no way, nothing is worth getting killed over"
I believe true love is a fight to the death to save the one's you love, to never give up, if someone does not have these feelings, IT'S NOT LOVE !!

#30 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:37 PM

Ah, Love, Lust, Infatuation, and someone mentioned Chemistry.

I have learned what love is, but I can't define it. I know that without my love, I'm not sure I could survive. Not as a whole person, anyway. I could write a few pages here, but I won't. I've been married for over 27 years. I still smile everytime I lay my eyes on Donna.

Lust, is when you just have the hots for someone. See Chemistry. You can also have the hots for someone you are truly in love with or are infatuated with.

Infatuation to me is that crush I had on Ginny (Walter knows who I mean) from about 4th grade until I truly fell in love as a senior in high school. By the way, Ginny is still a very good friend. So is my high school sweetheart. That one took a while for me to recover.

Chemistry? That to me is the pheremone high you get when you get close to someone that gives off the pheremones that affect you physically. I've had about two situations in my life where that has happened. My heart rate goes up, I begin to sweat, and my body reacts in other physical ways that I choose to not describe here. Let us say, that I stay seated until the reaction goes away. This situation will result is some very good sex if both individuals are to have the same reaction and are also inclined to act on their physical reactions to those pheremones. This is very different than true love or infatuation, but can be a precursor to Lust.

Chemistry to me is when you "click" with someone. You laugh, you smile and enjoy each other's company. You like similar things, and you tend to think in ways that mesh together.

You can have chemistry with or without lust; which I agree, is when you have the hots for someone.

Infatuation...lust gone mad. Not only do you have the hots for the person, but you just can't quite stop thinking about him or her and you don't know enough about that person to even begin to call it love.

But love...still eludes me.

Well, no...wait - My dogs love me! But maybe that's just because I'm the one putting the food in their bowls.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users