• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Kamala's at a business conference 'till Oct 16th

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:24 PM

If you have a dire problem, hit up Kim, George or I, as the Wench may not have any connectivity at the hotel. I have the laptop she's been using for trips abroad, so even the 'net may be impossible for her Real Soon Now. :bam:

She's been harder on phones than anyone I've ever met. Her old Nokia lasted for years, although it was held together with duct tape and spit. Since it finally died, she's burned through either 4 or 5 phones in short order. Wow! Figures it'd die the first wet day of the NC trip in a downpour, though, so I can't blame Fate for it. :welcome:

#2 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

Stan

man do we need to find a water, fire, bombproof phone for her. If her service is cingular i have a phone that she can use temporarly until she get a new one i just need to erase the phonebook off it, or if you can reflash it for a different provider.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#3 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:47 PM

It is Cingular! I'll be back in Dallas the 16th. Stan is looking on ebay for me as well as any specials on phones that don't require a 2 year contract or more! :welcome:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#4 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:51 PM

well its a nokia phone(model # 6010) that is programmed for cingular all that would have to be done is put your SIM card in there and put the numbers back in.

let me know

Tooth

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#5 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

It is Cingular! I'll be back in Dallas the 16th. Stan is looking on ebay for me as well as any specials on phones that don't require a 2 year contract or more! :welcome:

Kamala - I just got a new phone. You can have my old one if you want it. It's nothing fancy, but it works like a charm. It's a Nokia.

#6 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:07 PM

I have a replacement inbound from Florida, new unboxed stock. It's the Nokia 6340i GAIT phone for Cingular, although it's unlocked and useable anywhere you can get GSM, TDMA (old AT&T) or AMPS (ancient analog service). There's a guy on eBay selling 'em for $50 a pop. It'll be here by the time WW gets home again.

If you only have a cellphone for 911 purposes, THIS is the phone to buy. It'll work anywhere in the US that has any kind of cell coverage. AMPS and TDMA are still popular in rural areas of the county not covered by any of the newer digital modes. Buy a phone, get a non-expiring $10 pre-paid SIM card, and you're off! Leave it in the glove box along with a cigarette lighter charger cable, and you're set for emergency service anywhere in the US. You'll need the charger cable 'cos the battery will discharge over time, even if you leave the phone turned off.

#7 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 08:55 AM

Stan

looking at that ebay sellers store(PHONESTORE USA) he has some incredable deals on phones. I even saw a gold V3I razor. I may pick up one of those phones as a back up as my phones battery doesnt last that long ourside of a digital network.

Tooth

#8 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

WW
you can have my old rotary phone because I have a new cordless. the rotary phone is so handy because it dosnt even need batteries :P

Bubski
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#9 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:28 PM

looking at that ebay sellers store(PHONESTORE USA) he has some incredable deals on phones. I even saw a gold V3I razor. I may pick up one of those phones as a back up as my phones battery doesnt last that long ourside of a digital network.

Yep, the prices are great! I got the phone today, and I'll drop it off tomorrow. It was exactly as described: new, unlocked, unboxed stock. It works fine. Not bad for $50 plus shipping, $66.48 to TX if you include the insurance. He also included a nice universal AC charger (110/220V) that weighs less than half what the cheezy Nokia 110V-only charger does. With the 50lb limits on flights nowadays, ounces count. :wakawaka:

Some of his (very few) negative responses are undoubtedly due to 'out of box' failures, which happens with ALL cheap high-volume consumer electronics. It looks like he understands it and deals with it responsibly, so the few cranked people are likely the type that'd fall into a pile of diamonds and piss and moan about scratches... or think that rock-bottom priced Chinese electronics should be 100% reliable. Welcome to reality, folks! :cheerleader:

The last two Nokias I bought a couple of years ago from someone else I paid right at $100 each.

Be aware that *no* phone has a long battery life when running on the analog bands. It's only the digital channels that use lower transmit power. The Nokia I got Kamala would also have short battery life in the analog world. However, unlike the GSM-only phones, it *will* connect in the remote areas of the country. My GSM-only Motorola can go about a week between recharges, but it's as useless as a brick out in the sticks.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users