• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

How long before you are good at something?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#16 OTWdiver

OTWdiver

Meeting folks

• Removed Per User Request
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  • Cert Level:TECH DEEP Instructor, Prefer my single tank.
  • Logged Dives:Active every week since 1983

Posted 18 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

In this particular case I've seen the diver in question dive both in recreational, technical and training situations. She is a perfectionist and is very hard on herself. But she also knows her limits and goes very slow regardless of other people's timeframes.

I would suggest that everyone follow several of the golden nuggets in this thread so far.

1. Go at your own pace, speed and comfort level regardless of what everyone else is doing.
2. If you are not happy with your progress then take all the time you want or need. If you need to finish it later, there is no shame in delaying your training or certification process. (I recall a member of this site that took that advice to heart and she delayed her OW certification process until SHE was confident that she would do well. BRAVO FOR HER!!!!)
3. If you don't pass the first time, who cares? If you quit then you are probably reticent to try new things and stick with them anyway. If you pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try again then you are winner in my book. :birthday:
4. I get students for tech training that think they need to do it because it is the next step. There is NEVER a manditory next step. There are are only steps related to the type of diving you want to do. If you will never dive doubles and a drysuit nor care to dive beyond 130 feet for the majority of your dive, then there is no need to take tech training. Don't take the class because everyone else is or because you think its the next step in your training progression or because all the other cool kids are doing it. Do it because you'll have access to that level of diving and you want to dive that that diving profile.

Great thread. I hope that every diver reads this.

As for mastering a skill, I think the 10 years is about right if you have to set limits on it and I think we are all mastering skills everyday if we are actively working on them. That which you practice, measure and pay attention to is that which you will improve.
"Those who have never seen themselves surrounded on all sides by the sea can never possess an idea of the world, and of their relation to it" Goethe

#17 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:00 AM

So exactly how long does it take for you to be good at something after you've learned?

That depends on several factors. How difficult is the skill? How similar is it to things you've already mastered? How quickly do you learn? How often do you practice? When you do practice, how much time do you spend practicing?

How long after your open water certification did it take you to become a proficient diver? A safe diver? A reliable diver? A reliable and safe dive buddy? A good diver?

By the time I came home from the check out dives, I was proficient. I wasn't allowed out of the pool until I was safe. What do you mean by "a reliable diver"? About a year to become a good diver.

I ask because I'm working on my tech training. I can finish it by completing the necessary skills and manditory dives...but I still feel I have so much more to learn that I'm not certain I'm ready to graduate. My instructor says I'm being silly but I know the consequences of rushing the process...I guess when I was young getting my driver's license I was too young to understand and certainly when I got my open water certification...I had no idea about how much I didn't know.

Often an instructor can be objective and see us better than we can see ourselves. Raise your concerns and listen to his response. Did he actually consider what you told him or is he simply ready to get you out of his hair?

So how long does it take you to be good, safe and proficient at something once you've learned it?

There's no simple answer.

I find that even having 'mastered' or at least reached accepted proficiency since I've only seen ONE DIVER EVER SHOW TRUE MASTERY of a skill and that is our own TraceMalin

Oh come on Kamala, that's not true. I've seen thousands of divers who've mastered at least one skill, and I know lots of them who've mastered all the skills they'll ever need. People say I'm bashing PADI when I point out examples of where they are different even when I don't place a value judgement on the difference, now you bash every diver you've ever seen, save one, and everyone gives you a pass.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#18 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,725 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

Did he actually consider what you told him or is he simply ready to get you out of his hair?

Walter, I'll ask the instructor in question if he was trying to get me 'out of his hair'. Since he is bald I'm doubtful that is the case.

Oh come on Kamala, that's not true. I've seen thousands of divers who've mastered at least one skill, and I know lots of them who've mastered all the skills they'll ever need. People say I'm bashing PADI when I point out examples of where they are different even when I don't place a value judgement on the difference, now you bash every diver you've ever seen, save one, and everyone gives you a pass.

As for showing 'mastery' of skills...yes TraceMalin shows a level of mastery beyond any that 'I've seen' in any diver. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

However for everyone else...since Walter has not seen Trace dive, he has no idea of what I am talking about. When you see him dive you will. I believe that Jexy knows EXACTLY what I am talking about.

He is a true delight to watch in the water...'majesty in motion'...when it comes to diving.

Of course I am not getting a 'pass'...and the reason I am not getting a 'pass' is because I did not insult every other diver save one.

HOWEVER, if any diver who I've seen in the water was insulted by my comment, including Walter who is a superb diver, I am sorry. It was not my intention to insult any diver, nor to not properly credit all divers who are excellent divers of which Walter is certainly one of them.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#19 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:06 AM

I guess that I will say it this way. True mastery is in the eye of the beholder.

I have seen many excellent divers. Many of them of are far better divers than I am. They go gas switches on the fly with barely a thought. They hover in the water with no effort (people claim that I do but don't seem to realize the effort that I put into it). They seem to notice everything in the water around them while going through a drill. Yet those same divers will use the phrase "just a rookie" to describe their own capabilities (My Normoxic Trimix instructor's words).

Many people will tell you that someone who considers themself a master at this sport is someone who is closing their mind. I don't quite agree with that, but will remain just a rookie myself as I will always see someone like a cave instructor who can make my own diving skills look like welll.... just a rookie. The day that I consider myself to have mastered anything is the day that I am looking for a serious fall.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#20 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:22 AM

As for showing 'mastery' of skills...yes TraceMalin shows a level of mastery beyond any that 'I've seen' in any diver. That is my opinion and I am entitled to it.

No arguments there. As you've pointed out, I've never had the pleasure of diving with Trace. If I did, I could very well hold the same opinion.

Of course I am not getting a 'pass'...and the reason I am not getting a 'pass' is because I did not insult every other diver save one.

I'm sure you didn't intend to do so, but that's how it came across.

HOWEVER, if any diver who I've seen in the water was insulted by my comment, including Walter who is a superb diver, I am sorry. It was not my intention to insult any diver, nor to not properly credit all divers who are excellent divers of which Walter is certainly one of them.

Nope, I wasn't insulted and I don't see it about me. How can I objectively evaluate my own skills or lack thereof? I have an idea, but I cannot be objective about myself. I know several divers whose abilities exceed mine.

DSSW,

WWW™

#21 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:52 AM

The previous post all make very good points. I knew there was a reason I read these things. I would also add: don't be afraid of being nervous. That keeps you on edge, keeps you thinking, and will help keep you alive. It is when you get comfortable you get into the most trouble. I find that the things you work hardest at are also the things you enjoy most.

#22 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:01 AM

It is when you get comfortable you get into the most trouble.

Often somewhere between dive 500 and dive 1000.

DSSW,

WWW™

#23 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 18 October 2006 - 11:06 AM

I haven't mastered any diving skills yet. In truth I've only mastered one water related skill and that's baiting hooks.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#24 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:16 PM

I haven't mastered any diving skills yet. In truth I've only mastered one water related skill and that's baiting hooks.

Apparently you're a better diver than you know.

DSSW,

WWW™

#25 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 20 October 2006 - 01:02 PM

I think this is a function of your own physical and mental gifts

some people are just naturally talented and things come easier for them...others have to really work at the same skills

I personally think I'm a proficient diver but I haven't "mastered" anything and I never will. Once I start thinking in these terms, then I get complacent. So, I keep working on my skills on every dive and keep looking for more skills to add :banghead:

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users