• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Mask on the head

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#16 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:45 PM

Someone on another board had this is his signature line:
I put my mask on my forehead but no one came to rescue me.

#17 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

Someone on another board had this is his signature line:
I put my mask on my forehead but no one came to rescue me.

Classic (and likely also true)!
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#18 Cephalopod

Cephalopod

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water Instructor.
  • Logged Dives:1963 to present...and me with just ten fingers!!!

Posted 24 October 2006 - 12:54 PM

A mask on the back of the head is an easy way to lose a mask. Unless you pull the strap down around your eyebrows, it can easily slip off and you won't know it, or feel it happen. When you spend up to $100 for a mask, that can be a real disappointment. Plus, the average recreational diver does not carry a spare mask strap, much less a spare mask...so there goes your day of diving. You won't find many bargains on masks at a resort dive shop either! Wherever you put your mask at the surface, be sure to secure it.

As for the mask on the forehead being a sign of distress,....not in my personal experience. A panicked diver will tear it off as often as they will push it up onto their forehead. Besides, you don't need a misplaced mask to spot a panicked/drowning diver. They stand out in a crowd. Take a rescue class and see what I mean.

Proper surface mask placement is like diving with or without a snorkle. Lots of furious opinion on that one too.

In the end, its always a personal decision. There are no scuba police to give you a ticket.

Cephalopod
"The most dangerous creature you will encounter in any ocean, and the only one truly worth worrying about, is yourself!" H. E. Potter, General Public Nuisance, circa 2005

#19 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:00 PM

But many courses definitely teach that it is,

Yeah, I know. Quality classes can be hard to find.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#20 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:15 PM

As for the mask on the forehead being a sign of distress,....not in my personal experience. A panicked diver will tear it off as often as they will push it up onto their forehead. Besides, you don't need a misplaced mask to spot a panicked/drowning diver. They stand out in a crowd. Take a rescue class and see what I mean.

Proper surface mask placement is like diving with or without a snorkle. Lots of furious opinion on that one too.

In the end, its always a personal decision. There are no scuba police to give you a ticket.

:P
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#21 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:38 PM

But many courses definitely teach that it is,

Yeah, I know. Quality classes can be hard to find.

Actually the YMCA class I took in the 70s was an EXCELLENT scuba class (part of a college curriculum - took an entire semester), compared to the dive shop-offered class I took as a refresher in late 1999 or so (thank heaven I got an open water referral for the last 2 dives for my daughter and her boyfriend, so that they got a taste, in Belize, of how good scuba instructors operate [but then it WAS December and very cold in Texas, another reason for the OW referral for those dives]). So the class can be good despite the teaching of the forehead-mask myth. BTW, I have seen someone get a mask washed off their head in the Flower Gardens one time, so that part is definitely true.

#22 netmage

netmage

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 471 posts
  • Cert Level:Tech & Cave
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 October 2006 - 01:40 PM

A mask on the forehead is NOT a sign of distress. That's one of the biggest myths in diving.

And next your going to tell me Boyle was wrong!

And The easter bunny, Santa, and the male-affectionate lesbian are all figments of my immagination????

<I'm just being a smartass - slow work day>

Edited by netmage, 24 October 2006 - 01:42 PM.

"I aim to misbehave...."

#23 matts1w

matts1w

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 October 2006 - 02:45 PM

I tell my students not to wear their masks on their forehead because I want them to be comfortable in the thing. I do not continue the half-truth about the mask on forehead equals a panicked diver, but do talk about it slipping off their head in in big swells. I also mention it, to me, is just a cool tradition in diving/ocean folklore. I tell them as divers never to rename a boat, bring a banana on board, or to wear their masks on their forehead. We get a laugh out of it.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, and totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW! -- What a Ride!"

#24 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 October 2006 - 03:50 PM

I don't care where people put their masks as long as it works when they need it. It really doesn't matter to me where people put their masks when not in use. I only mention things like leaving it someplace that can get it smashed from tanks or people walking about is just asking for trouble.

I think there is a higher risk of a swell pulling it off if on the forehead. However, it is the choice of the diver to take that risk.

I normally put my mask in the fin pocket until it is time to put it on. Once in a while, I will put it on my head backwards if I am going to be busy with my hands while sitting for a while before walking back to the platform for the exit (such as rolling seas, no space and having to hold onto stages, etc.).

Once I put the mask on, I wear it for the whole dive and even after I climb out of the water. After the dive, once I sit down, I put the mask back in the fin pocket.

I can't think of the last time I took my mask off while on the surface, leaving me to have to think of where to put it. I would just as soon leave it on until I am completely out of the water and away from places where I might lose it.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#25 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:02 PM

I was once told (and I have no way to authenticate it) that the original reason for a diver not putting a mask on top of the head has its origins with the Navy. A mask atop the head reflects light like a mirror, and gives away the diver's position, hence it was dangerous for a Navy diver to do that. That said, I still agree the mask should not be placed on top of the head, only because of the greater liklihood of losing it that way.

Rick
:P

#26 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 04:50 PM

I was once told (and I have no way to authenticate it) that the original reason for a diver not putting a mask on top of the head has its origins with the Navy. A mask atop the head reflects light like a mirror, and gives away the diver's position, hence it was dangerous for a Navy diver to do that. Rick

That at least makes sense of where the warning originated...

#27 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

Proper surface mask placement is like diving with or without a snorkle.

Cephalopod

Actually, that's not always true. There are "nanny-state" communities here in SoCal who will write you a ticket for diving without a snorkel. Just another instance of The Man keepin' us down!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#28 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:18 PM

I tell my students not to wear their masks on their forehead because I want them to be comfortable in the thing. I do not continue the half-truth about the mask on forehead equals a panicked diver, but do talk about it slipping off their head in in big swells. I also mention it, to me, is just a cool tradition in diving/ocean folklore. I tell them as divers never to rename a boat, bring a banana on board, or to wear their masks on their forehead. We get a laugh out of it.

I agree, except about the superstitions.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#29 Colorado Shark Guy

Colorado Shark Guy

Getting started

• Pip
  • 39 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master in Training.... been diving for 24 years in New England, Caribbean, FLA, etc.
  • Logged Dives:500+/-

Posted 24 October 2006 - 05:34 PM

A mask on the forehead is NOT a sign of distress. That's one of the biggest myths in diving.

If this is the case, then why do most of the certifying agencies teach it and so many divers go by it as a rule?

#30 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:36 PM

Just a bit to add here:

The folks I generally dive with are not prone to panic. The loss of a mask is a minor inconvenience, and on many dives a spare is carried. There are no currents or swells to deal with. We walk in and out of our dive sites. I have done a 2.5 hour dive without my mask as I preferred it to borrwing an ill fitting one.

The sequence of our pre-dive and post dive makes it inconvenient to leave the mask in the fin pocket.

So in short, my conditions are not other's peoples conditions. Do what works in your environement. If you are significant risk to lose a mask in your conditions, or the loss of a mask could comprimise the safetly of the diver, carrying a spare would probably be prudent.

As usual, just my thoughts, others will certainly disagree.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users