• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Mask on the head

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#31 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 October 2006 - 06:51 PM

A mask on the forehead is NOT a sign of distress. That's one of the biggest myths in diving.

If this is the case, then why do most of the certifying agencies teach it and so many divers go by it as a rule?

My opinion: Because it is easier to reguritate handed down info than to put individual thought into something.

I tell my students to leave their masks on their faces for the duration of the pool session (to get used to it) and in open water (so as not to lose it) based on my own personal past teaching experiences. I have also had to retrieve lost masks for non-students for the same reasons, but I am not their instructor so if they lose a mask because of poor handling with it, well that is their choice. I just tell them if I find their mask first, I get to keep it... :D

And I agree with diving with a back-up mask and I always have a second one in my float when I am teaching to avoid having to take a whole class in if a mask is dropped over deeper water.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#32 secretsea18

secretsea18

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:31 PM

Proper surface mask placement is like diving with or without a snorkle. There are no scuba police to give you a ticket.

Cephalopod

Thank goodness there are no dive snorkel police. What a useless item to be dangling from your mask while diving. All snorkels should be safely tucked away inside BC pockets while diving.

:angel2: :D

#33 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

A mask on the forehead is NOT a sign of distress. That's one of the biggest myths in diving.

If this is the case, then why do most of the certifying agencies teach it and so many divers go by it as a rule?

For the same reason that a lot of instructors teach to open the tank valve, and then to close it a quarter turn. There was once a basis upon fact for the action (old valves used to have problems sticking if left all the way open after pressurizing). Then, people kept doing it because that was the way that someone did it a long time ago.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#34 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

The mask on top of your head is so that the dive shops can sell you more masks.
Way back when sex was safe and diving was dangerous around here if you got cought with a mask on top of your head you owed that person that busted you a beer.
Rookies brought lots of beer.
But that was when you could have a brew between dives to cut the salt taste in your mouth.

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#35 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

But that was when you could have a brew between dives to cut the salt taste in your mouth.

ummmm....you can't do that anymore? :D

(just kidding....or am i? :angel2:)
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#36 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,615 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:22 PM

(just kidding....or am i? :wavey:)

Really...you've figured out how to get rid of the salt taste! Pllleeeeaaaaaaasssssseeeee share with us how!!! :angel2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#37 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:34 PM

Well from what I have read but not experienced in 2.5 years.
If you have an adult beverage between dives you should extend you surface interval by at least 15% or one gratuitous recreational sexual encounter, which ever takes longer.
Bottoms up!

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#38 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 24 October 2006 - 10:52 PM

(just kidding....or am i? :wavey:)

Really...you've figured out how to get rid of the salt taste! Pllleeeeaaaaaaasssssseeeee share with us how!!! :angel2:

You don't want to get rid of the salt taste. Here's how you do it. After the dive lick your lips, throw back a shot of tequila then bite a like slice. The salt taste fits in just fine.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#39 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:14 AM

Really...you've figured out how to get rid of the salt taste! Pllleeeeaaaaaaasssssseeeee share with us how!!! :D

After dive pill. Peach Jolly Ranchers are best, but hard to find.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#40 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 04:18 AM

Because they aren't really experts at diving. Because they learned it in class.

DSSW,

WWW™

#41 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:28 AM

For the same reason that a lot of instructors teach to open the tank valve, and then to close it a quarter turn. There was once a basis upon fact for the action (old valves used to have problems sticking if left all the way open after pressurizing). Then, people kept doing it because that was the way that someone did it a long time ago.

Yup. I was taught that way and sometimes I still do it. Messes up my pressure gauge on some dives. LOL

#42 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:56 AM

Actually, that one is legit. Valves can stick open, coming back off just a crack (I don't know why folks use a quarter turn) prevents this. It's a good idea on all valves, not just SCUBA.

DSSW,

WWW™

#43 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:26 AM

Shedding gear is a sign of panic and severe distress. Besides, Mike Nelson always put his mask on his forehead and I never saw him in distress.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users