• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Image use and commentary

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 27 September 2005 - 12:57 AM

Here they are in one combined pic, with room for more. Updated: 9-26.

Dude, you have WAY too much time on your hands......

Split from the "Babes" of SD are Gorgeous

#2 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:53 AM

Here they are in one combined pic, with room for more.  Updated: 9-26.

I changed the original post, but it started last Friday eve when I was home ill and bored to death.

This kinda reminds me of a high-tech version of what I used to do as a kid, make collages out of pictures cut out of magazines using home-made paste (flour and water).

Edited by Brinybay, 27 September 2005 - 09:34 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#3 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:10 PM

I changed the original post, but it started last Friday eve when I was home ill and bored to death.

But you're partly right, I'm temporarily "semi-retired", and it will continue until my employment situation changes for the better (full-time work) or I get a girlfriend.

In the mean time, this kinda reminds me of a high-tech version of what I used to do as a kid, make collages out of pictures cut out of magazines using home-made paste (flour and water). Plus I like playing around with my graphics editor (LView Pro) if there's something fun to do with it.

I'd feel pretty disturbed if I were one of those women..... Just my 2 psi.

#4 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:40 PM

I certainly don't feel disturbed - just flattered!

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:43 PM

I think it's all in good fun! On a local dive board in the Pacific Northwest, we have a thread called Behind the Mask that features everyone above water in one collective area. Cheers brinybay!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2005 - 02:50 PM

I certainly don't feel disturbed - just flattered!

I don't either. :D Greg for your skill with LViewPro and sense of humor.

Que :lmao:

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 03:09 PM

But you're partly right, I'm temporarily "semi-retired", and it will continue until my employment situation changes for the better (full-time work) or I get a girlfriend.

In the mean time, this kinda reminds me of a high-tech version of what I used to do as a kid, make collages out of pictures cut out of magazines using home-made paste (flour and water). Plus I like playing around with my graphics editor (LView Pro) if there's something fun to do with it.

Interesting comment. How is THIS SITUATION any different? (7th post from the top.) :D

#8 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:03 PM

Dude, I'd feel pretty disturbed if you were one of those women also!!!

I am assuming you are male - all I get from your profile is that you are spoken for and don't smoke. . .

Edited by ScubaHawk, 27 September 2005 - 04:05 PM.

Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#9 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:22 PM

How is THIS SITUATION any different? (7th post from the top.)

Looks like that one was removed, eh?

#10 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 04:35 PM

Looks like that one was removed, eh?

:D *Eh*???

Bill, I'm shocked! (:lmao:)

#11 ShamuLovesMe

ShamuLovesMe

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:02 PM

Interesting comment. How is THIS SITUATION any different? (7th post from the top.) :D

The differences are several:

(1) Men, generally speaking, would probably feel less uncomfortable having their photo posted in such a context than women would.

(2) This board (and my opinion of it) has changed a lot since I made that post.

(3) Most importantly, I doubt BrinyBay contacted each of those women to ask their permission to use their avatar or profile photos in such a context. I mean no offense to him, I’m sure he only meant to be complimentary. But in the context of all of the posts in this and similar threads, and the current flirtatious “ambiance” of the SD forum, the collage comes across as a kind of “meat market menu.” Some of the pictured women are flattered, as they’ve expressed. But many of the other women pictured are infrequent visitors who might not appreciate this use of their photo, and who might be uncomfortable even expressing such.

Basically, it boils down to what’s appropriate and what isn’t, and that of course is a matter of opinion. And that’s all I’m doing anyway, expressing my opinion, so there’s no reason to refute it. I’m making no judgment of what’s right or wrong. Put simply, I personally (read: in my opinion – is the horse dead yet?) would be very uncomfortable seeing my photo used in that context if I were a woman. That’s just me. As a woman. (Yes, Hawk, a scary image.)

#12 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:12 PM

The differences are several:

(1) Men, generally speaking, would probably feel less uncomfortable having their photo posted in such a context than women would.

(2) This board (and my opinion of it) has changed a lot since I made that post.

(3) Most importantly, I doubt BrinyBay contacted each of those women to ask their permission to use their avatar or profile photos in such a context. I mean no offense to him, I’m sure he only meant to be complimentary. But in the context of all of the posts in this and similar threads, and the current flirtatious “ambiance” of the SD forum, the collage comes across as a kind of “meat market menu.” Some of the pictured women are flattered, as they’ve expressed. But many of the other women pictured are infrequent visitors who might not appreciate this use of their photo, and who might be uncomfortable even expressing such.

Basically, it boils down to what’s appropriate and what isn’t, and that of course is a matter of opinion. And that’s all I’m doing anyway, expressing my opinion, so there’s no reason to refute it. I’m making no judgment of what’s right or wrong. Put simply, I personally (read: in my opinion – is the horse dead yet?) would be very uncomfortable seeing my photo used in that context if I were a woman. That’s just me. As a woman. (Yes, Hawk, a scary image.)

Thanks for the response. :lmao:

#13 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:35 PM

All I can say (as a woman last time I checked :D ) is that I posted my photo publically on this site. Once I posted a photo for all to see and access, I no longer had an expectation of privacy over that photo for people using this site. If a photo that I had sent privately had been used without my prior permission, I might have a problem with it but this was not the case. Instead a collage was made using my avatar image as one of the many images in the collage. It was meant and taken as a compliment by me and many other women on this board that I am in contact with everyday. Of course, this is just my opinion as well...

#14 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 27 September 2005 - 05:38 PM

I have a feeling I missed something here. :lmao: :D

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 September 2005 - 07:43 PM

I have a feeling I missed something here. :lmao: :teeth:

That makes two of us! But that's ok...we are in great company if you ask me! :)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users