• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Image use and commentary

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#16 Brinybay

Brinybay

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:09 PM

I'd feel pretty disturbed if I were one of those women..... Just my 2 psi.

The differences are several:

(1) Men, generally speaking, would probably feel less uncomfortable having their photo posted in such a context than women would.

(2) This board (and my opinion of it) has changed a lot since I made that post.

(3) Most importantly, I doubt BrinyBay contacted each of those women to ask their permission to use their avatar or profile photos in such a context. I mean no offense to him, I’m sure he only meant to be complimentary. But in the context of all of the posts in this and similar threads, and the current flirtatious “ambiance” of the SD forum, the collage comes across as a kind of “meat market menu.” Some of the pictured women are flattered, as they’ve expressed. But many of the other women pictured are infrequent visitors who might not appreciate this use of their photo, and who might be uncomfortable even expressing such.

Basically, it boils down to what’s appropriate and what isn’t, and that of course is a matter of opinion. And that’s all I’m doing anyway, expressing my opinion, so there’s no reason to refute it. I’m making no judgment of what’s right or wrong. Put simply, I personally (read: in my opinion – is the horse dead yet?) would be very uncomfortable seeing my photo used in that context if I were a woman. That’s just me. As a woman. (Yes, Hawk, a scary image.)

"Meat market" never entered my mind, but it obviously entered yours. You didn't mind one bit when I used YOUR pic in the photo-shop challenge, you thought it was quite amusing. I think you're taking it (and yourself) way too seriously. Have a beer, lighten up.

Edited by Brinybay, 27 September 2005 - 09:31 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#17 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:36 PM

I'd feel pretty disturbed if I were one of those women..... Just my 2 psi.

Dude, I'd feel pretty disturbed if you were one of those women also!!!

:)

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#18 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 09:43 PM

... the current flirtatious “ambiance” of the SD forum...

I like the "flirtatious" atmosphere, so do a lot of others, that's what makes SD fun. Nobody takes it seriously (except you). You really need to join the party and quit being a poop.

#19 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 10:58 PM

l agree with Shamu
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#20 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:26 PM

l agree with Shamu

All I saw in the collage were a wide variety of faces in different backgrounds arranged in an artistic manner (to the best of my ability). I'm not offering any other explanations other than that.

Edited by Brinybay, 28 September 2005 - 10:54 AM.

#21 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 27 September 2005 - 11:57 PM

Looks like that one was removed, eh?

:) *Eh*???

Bill, I'm shocked! (:teeth:)

You picked up on it, eh, Caetllon. Just practicing in case I ever get back up there!

#22 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 28 September 2005 - 12:03 AM

Wow, this thread sure changed tone quickly. Leave it long enough to watch a Bollywood movie (OK, so it was over 3 hours) and all heck breaks loose.

If there are ladies pictured in Brinybay's collage that are offended, I'm sure if they let him know via PM he would remove their image. Personally I did not see his work as a "meat market" thing... I just saw a number of lovely ladies whose smiles and eyes were wonderful to gaze on.

For those objecting to the flirtatious nature on this board, it seems that it comes from both sides (genders) equally. Such flirtation is part of human nature. Those who don't like it, don't have to read the posts.

I don't think anyone here wants to offend another SD member.

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:19 AM

To All:

I have watched in dismay as the tone of this thread changed and perhaps because SD is yet to receive a complaint/concern or even feedback on the thread from any of the Ladies of SD, it seems we have a case of 'gentlemen' worried about what the 'Ladies' might feel or might think without that basis for worry being validated.

Whereas I am glad to see that our 'guys' are concerned about us (please don't stop!) I am equally glad to see that our 'gals' have not been offended in any manner that has been expressed to us...afterall I started this thread! (However should that change we will of course evaluate it accordingly.) If fact, several of our gals have been pleased that they were noticed! :) One was particularily pleased that everyone noticed she looked like CZJones but then realized BrinyBay had actually posted CZJ's actual picture and not hers! :diver:

The reality is that we are fun loving, predominately single divers who openly discuss relationship matters and dating and yes...appreciation for the members of our community! I think Walter said it best:

I looked at each face, looking for friends. I found quite a few in the mix. While CZJ is gorgeous, she's not as beautiful as some in the collage...........

So where does that leave us? Well it leaves us where we ALWAYS are in life...choosing one path or another. The Golden Rule in that arena is to 'Follow Your Bliss' and 'To Thine Own Heart Be True'. In this specific case, one of our concerned members felt so strongly about following their own heart, that they requested they be removed from the site. (You can not delete your own profile nor can we but we can make it inactive which removes your profile completely and you from our communicatiosn system.) While we will be sad to see them go, I have respect for anyone who follows their heart and thier bliss and chooses to go someplace that they are happy and feel respected in. I personally respect this individual immensely for contacting us directly, asking us directly to have their profile removed and then quietly and respectfully leaving.

From time to time, others will depart our community and we will be sad. However we will wish them well as we do the aforementioned member and we will respect their decision to 'Follow Their Bliss'. - Kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#24 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:20 AM

Now we resume our regularily scheduled and somewhat playful programming...:diver:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#25 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:27 AM

I was just about to post something in this thread...and WW beat me too it - and said it much more eloquently than I could have!!!

I know when I first saw the collage I immediately looked to find my face!!! :birthday:

:diver: :) :birthday: :dance: to BrinyBay for including my face in this collage of incredibly beautiful women!!! I'm in great company!!!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#26 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

I really don't see a problem. If anyone objects to their picture being included, they should have the option of having it removed, but unless someone complains about their own picture, it's a non-issue.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#27 Bahamasita

Bahamasita

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:31 AM

This could probably be split off into its own topic, but here goes. I have been waiting and reserving judgment in light of all the "goings on" on and behind this board in the interest of being fair because I do dearly love it here and have made a lot of friends. Regretfully, however, I think this is it for me.

Here is my two PSI from a woman's perspective, and this will be my last post. I think Brinybay's intentions were good ones. He should not be criticized for them. However, if those good intentions bore unexpected reactions and offended anyone in any way, even if we don't agree, I think apologies should be in order for the oversight.

I would not say I was offended by the collage at first, but it did yield unexpected and undesirable results. I began receiving messages from "admirers", which could be considered flattering when given with sincerity and respect (some were), and in the right context, but certainly some I would consider were the cyber-equivalent to catcalls on the street. I'm sure many of you ladies have received similar messages of both types. Now, some women may not mind catcalls, or perhaps even encourage or engage in them, but I do mind, though I consider myself quite outgoing. Those of you who have met me know that I am far from the quite, demure type! True, one cannot control catcalls when walking down a street, but I can control which street I walk down.

I'm a big girl, and I can handle it, but this discussion made me think about other women who are not as vocal on this board and how they might feel. Who are we to assume they are okay with it? Should the default be that they have to speak up if they are uncomfortable when they may be uncomfortable speaking up....or may not be active enough on the board to know and have an opinion on what has been done with their picture? Perhaps a solution in the future would be to have a box for people to check to allow/not allow their pictures to be used in anything (on the board only, and with moderator oversight so that it is tasteful) such as this in the future when they upload it -- with the ability to revoke that permission at anytime if they do not agree with how it is used, of course. Even better, perhaps not to allow the use of pictures outside their intended use in the personal profiles as a default w/o express permission from the person. Just a thought.

I am not one to normally get on my soapbox on these issues, but I am extremely disappointed in the deterioration in the environment in this board. I attribute part of that to the dismissal of, and often chastising and berating of, the opinions of the minority. It would appear that, though perhaps not intended, the majority of members on this board far prefer the echoing of their own opinions to the lively discussions from different perspectives. I know we live in an age of sometimes too much PC, but I thought that if ANYONE was uncomfortable, MALE OR FEMALE, that those opinions would be heard, considered, and not ridiculed on this board (as they seem to have been done here) whether or not we agree with them. How can we be so arrogant as to judge another's opinon? An opinion is just that -- an opinion -- and I've seen it again and again, and will reiterate it here -- we all have a right to our own opinion w/o ridicule on this board, or so I was led to believe.

I agree with some of you that this board is no longer the "light-hearted" fun place it used to be, but it can be (ands sometimes still is) an enjoyable and welcoming place. Though most of us "know" each other and have met before/dived together, it is a sad fact that the intimate and casual environment must change to accommodate the rapidly growing and ever-diverse membership. We can no longer assume what used to be "okay" when we were a smaller group is acceptable to others who join. And this boad can be a bit intimidating to those who haven't been around long or met anyone. Surprising to some of you perhaps, but there it is. It is obvious from the threads that some of us "know" each other and share some sort of a history, which warrants some familiarity in the postings, but that should not be assumed to be acceptable by everyone. Given the hostile reactions I've seen to some of the differing opinions here, I am not surprised that some are afraid to post their opinions. I, personally, have not been a member all that long (only since May), but feel fortunate enough to have come during a time when the environment was more welcoming to my opinions and been able to forge some real friendships with some quality people. Otherwise, I might not have had such fond memories of this board in this short and tumultuos time.

The problem here is much bigger than Brinybay's post. This thread is but one example that highlights problems here. I feel the quality of the environment here has degraded to the point where we have lost the original spirit of the "mission" here. How come that wasn't moderated?

Speaking of which, I don't think that I have said anything here that needs to be moderated, so let's hope that opinions are allowed to be expressed. I am merely expressing my own feelings on the matter. I am not in any way commenting on individual members of this board, merely the overall environment that has been fostered here as a whole. Quite the contrary, I hold many of the members here in high regard and am glad to have had the pleasure of getting to know them. I know we are better than this as a group. That is why this is so disappointing. Thanks for the good times, the memories, the friendships. I know I will still see some of you out there in bluer and calmer waters, so until we meet again! I'd like to keep my experience here as positive as possible, so I think it's time to go. That is why this will be my last post here. My ten PSI. Good luck and good diving!

#28 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:40 AM

CJ,

I'm disturbed that you (and possibly others) have received "cyber-equivalent to catcalls on the street." That is totally inappropriate behavior and is not something I believe the management of this site will allow. Please forward those messages to Kamala and George. There are corrective actions they can take to eliminate such behavior.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#29 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,684 posts

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:56 AM

Speaking of which, I don't think that I have said anything here that needs to be moderated, so let's hope that opinions are allowed to be expressed.

CJ you have not said anything that needs to be moderated however as Walter said, you have certainly expressed problems that we do need to address for the safety of our community. Please forward those pm's to us so that we can take appropriate action.

As Walter said, we do not alllow or tolerate that behavior on this site.

formerly...

#30 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 28 September 2005 - 07:59 AM

Yes...please forward those to the admins ASAP!! And the admins/mods/owners encourage anyone (male or female) to report any offensive advances received from members of this board. We will definitely take corrective action and ensure everyone's enjoyment and above all, safety, on SD!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users