• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Just how much of a nerd/geek are you?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#16 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 28 December 2006 - 08:38 PM

I don't worry about brain tumors from my cell phone because I know where to find the Permissible Exposure Limit for RF radiation in that frequency range.

Ok so the rest of us want to know...where do you find it????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#17 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 28 December 2006 - 09:51 PM

I don't worry about brain tumors from my cell phone because I know where to find the Permissible Exposure Limit for RF radiation in that frequency range.

Ok so the rest of us want to know...where do you find it????

Look here. The short version is in paragraph 1910.97(a)(2)(i). Another more detailed version is here. And my all-time favorite, Appendix A, FCC OET Bulletin 65.

:banghead:

Cheers!

Jim

Edited by jholley309, 28 December 2006 - 09:59 PM.

Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#18 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 29 December 2006 - 06:59 AM

Okay, it's nerd confession time. I must confess that at one time, for work, I regularly used a pocket protector. At the time, I was carrying drafting pencils, which have very narrow and sharp points, and "international orange" china markers (wax pencils, for writing on glass). I was also working in a lab, wearing a white lab coat, and without the pocket protector, my front pocket would be shredded, and I'd look like I'd been hit with a bullet in the aorta. I also used a pocket protector when I was working for an engineering firm (again, the drafting pencils would have wreaked havoc with my front shirt pocket). There...that wasn't so bad.

Rick
:)

Rick, it's OK. We are here for you. You no longer need to hide from the facts. It's OK, to be a Geek. In fact, there are more of us then you may think.

Here say it with me, "I'm a Geek, and I'm proud!"

If you need more encouragement, read this...

http://www.megageek....65?OpenDocument
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:40 AM

Actually megageeks are sexy...seems they are the genius behind all the fun stuff like google, amazon, mircosoft, mac's, and the like.

It seems that megageeks control the world...well at least most of it! LOL!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#20 jholley309

jholley309

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:52 AM

It seems that megageeks control the world...well at least most of it! LOL!! -ww

Oh, don't get me started on Pinky and The Brain quotes...

:)

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#21 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 29 December 2006 - 05:27 PM

Rick, it's OK. We are here for you. You no longer need to hide from the facts. It's OK, to be a Geek. In fact, there are more of us then you may think.

Here say it with me, "I'm a Geek, and I'm proud!"

If you need more encouragement, read this...

http://www.megageek....65?OpenDocument

Thanks, Moose. I guess when it comes down to it, Geeks rule.

Rick
:birthday:

#22 jholley309

jholley309

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 04:57 PM

Okay, it's nerd confession time. I must confess that at one time, for work, I regularly used a pocket protector.

Okay, I'm prepared to concede to Rick. I've never actually worn a pocket protector, but only because BDUs are durable enough to withstand pointy writing utensils with no additional reinforcement.

:birthday:

Cheers!

Jim

Edited by jholley309, 30 December 2006 - 04:59 PM.

#23 fala

fala

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 12:52 AM

Interesting post, I'll add my 2 cents worth:

- my OS of choice and most of the software I use is available for free (read Open Source)
- I only use a thermometer if it measures Kelvin
- one of my favorite references, the 'Gang of Four' book, favorite authors Lipman
- I don't worry about brain tumors with cell phones, rather if worn on the waist whether the Jewels will be affected. After all don't we all have excess brain capacity we never use...
- I believe in the following quote:

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to
produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
-- Rich Cook

On another note (not to hijack this thread) Moose I think we should go diving sometime since we are in the same area, preferably with you NOT using the gear built with a vacuum cleaner and bucket.

fala

#24 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 December 2006 - 05:55 PM

On another note (not to hijack this thread) Moose I think we should go diving sometime since we are in the same area, preferably with you NOT using the gear built with a vacuum cleaner and bucket.

fala

I'm game. It seems that I'll be taking a few days off for ONE of my suits to come back. I'm currently without my semi-dry and my dry. 8>(

It's been almost a week since my last dive. I'm jones. What are you doing next weekend?

I may go out tomorrow. (it will be crappy, so it's a good day for a dive.)

PM me if you want to join in tomorrow. I'll be in NYC for the morning, should be diving around 3 or 4 pm
Moose

#25 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 05 January 2007 - 08:40 AM

I'll let the geeks (and there self appointed judge) fight it out, 'cause I'm defiantly not a geek . . . however I do lay claim to the title of King Nerd.

A few of many Qualifications:

I'm 39 and still play D&D on a near weekly basis (and have been playing since the pre dice day)
I now have more figurines than I can count and still buy more
I was in the Chess club, math club, mock trial and drama in high school
I college I was the only undergrad to be co-president of the Anthropology Society, also the only undergrad to ever TA a lab (astronomy)
I was a mainstay in the drama department
On dive trips I read books on religion and physics for fun
I create physics limericks for fun
I can't dance - but that doesn't stop me!
In the room I'm in right now I have 2 Muppet show posters, a Kermit the frog poster, Kermit on a motorcycle, a Kermit the frog coffee mug, my Kermit the frog checkbook cover and, of course, the tattoo
I have laid awake at night trying to figure out how fermions move
I devour si-fi/fantasy books at an alarming rate
If my tv is turned on, it is on the discovery science channel, history channel or PBS
I bought Sirius satellite radio for talk radio (and football)
I'm deadly at T-P except for the sports questions

Nerddom rules!
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#26 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:11 AM

I'll let the geeks (and there self appointed judge) fight it out, 'cause I'm defiantly not a geek . . . however I do lay claim to the title of King Nerd.

A few of many Qualifications:

I'm 39 and still play D&D on a near weekly basis (and have been playing since the pre dice day)
I now have more figurines than I can count and still buy more
I was in the Chess club, math club, mock trial and drama in high school
I college I was the only undergrad to be co-president of the Anthropology Society, also the only undergrad to ever TA a lab (astronomy)
I was a mainstay in the drama department
On dive trips I read books on religion and physics for fun
I create physics limericks for fun
I can't dance - but that doesn't stop me!
In the room I'm in right now I have 2 Muppet show posters, a Kermit the frog poster, Kermit on a motorcycle, a Kermit the frog coffee mug, my Kermit the frog checkbook cover and, of course, the tattoo
I have laid awake at night trying to figure out how fermions move
I devour si-fi/fantasy books at an alarming rate
If my tv is turned on, it is on the discovery science channel, history channel or PBS
I bought Sirius satellite radio for talk radio (and football)
I'm deadly at T-P except for the sports questions

Nerddom rules!

I bow to you, Meganerd!

My most nerdly accomplishment to date is that I'm currently working on a thesis in which I will use Quantum Mechanics to prove the existence (or Non-existence*) of God.

*=I just haven’t decided which one yet

Oh, I’m not doing it for any class or anything. I just think that there may be an answer there, *somewhere!*
Moose

#27 spinartist

spinartist

Getting started

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water
  • Logged Dives:50

Posted 05 January 2007 - 09:58 AM

This thread has been very enlightening for me... I had no idea that's what geekdom is all about...building rockets in your garage, writing code, playing D & D, taking computers apart, calculating algorithms... I never learned how to do any of that stuff. Suddenly, I have developed a case of nerd envy. I can't believe I've wasted my life watching sports and meeting girls in bars. O Brothers of the Binary, tell me it's not too late for me to renounce my hedonist ways and join your ranks. Good bye Hooters... Hello Radio Shack!

#28 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:09 AM

O Brothers of the Binary, tell me it's not too late for me to renounce my hedonist ways and join your ranks. Good bye Hooters... Hello Radio Shack!

Well, for starters (if you are serious), stay AWAY from Rat Shack! (Radio Shack.) About 10 years ago, they decided that selling RC cars and low end VCRs was way better then supporting the people that made them what they are (The Geeks and Nerds.) Now, their selection of electrical components are token, at best.

If you are looking for a place to start, I would suggest www.2600.com. It's an all encompassing community of geeks and nerds. They have something for everyone. They are NOT the hollywood hackers that the media paints them to be. But they are a lose group of people that love to share knowledge on any topic of tech. They started out after the phreaker crazy with Capt Crunch (and that is where the "2600" name come from.) To this day, they still feature pay phones from around the world. (An I have submitted a bunch of them!)

If you are poking fun at us for being geeks and nerds, then just remember, while you were watching sports and trying to meet girls, we were building the future and spying on you! :D <big grins>
Moose

#29 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 05 January 2007 - 10:15 AM

If you are poking fun at us for being geeks and nerds, then just remember, while you were watching sports and trying to meet girls, we were building the future and spying on you! :D <big grins>

Remember: "No one's really gonna to be free until nerd persecution ends."

He's probably guilty of mopery anyway.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#30 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,642 posts

Posted 05 January 2007 - 12:18 PM

This thread has been very enlightening for me... I had no idea that's what geekdom is all about...building rockets in your garage, writing code, playing D & D, taking computers apart, calculating algorithms... I never learned how to do any of that stuff. Suddenly, I have developed a case of nerd envy. I can't believe I've wasted my life watching sports and meeting girls in bars. O Brothers of the Binary, tell me it's not too late for me to renounce my hedonist ways and join your ranks. Good bye Hooters... Hello Radio Shack!

:D

Yeah! What he said...

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users