• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Packing

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:21 AM

Not being a worldly traveler, and newer to the sport of diving, I was wondering how one gets their gear on the plane. Is it all in one bag? Do you check some and carry on some? I've seen discussions about weight and size limits, but is that total lugage weight or your carry on? ( I've never encountered a weight issue before) Things like computers and regulators, which might not look real good to a TSA agent. Stuff like that.

John

#2 sudsymark

sudsymark

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 23 December 2006 - 09:35 AM

I will check one bag with clothes, one bag of just scuba gear with neither bag being over 50 lbs. A third bag will be carried on the plane. I know some divers will carry on their regulators and computers but pack the rest.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#3 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 24 December 2006 - 02:19 AM

I always carry on my regs, computer and camera.
I usually end up taking 2 checked bags and split my dive gear between them.

I remove the batteries from all lights.

So far this arrangement has worked fine for me.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#4 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 24 December 2006 - 03:35 AM

Not being a worldly traveler, and newer to the sport of diving, I was wondering how one gets their gear on the plane. Is it all in one bag? Do you check some and carry on some? I've seen discussions about weight and size limits, but is that total lugage weight or your carry on? ( I've never encountered a weight issue before) Things like computers and regulators, which might not look real good to a TSA agent. Stuff like that.

John

Hi John,

..it's highly unlikely you'd be able to get all your gear in one bag....it always takes me 2 check in bags, each at 50 - 70 lbs each...plus a carry-on containing 2 complete regs sets, cameras also go as carry-ons. Regs/cameras are more theft prone, so I want those with me at all times...... for example, a good reg set / computer runs $ 2000 EACH, times (2), and even a low-end camera/strobes/etc. is another $ 1000, so that's $ 5000 worth of gear in the carry-on alone!

....be aware some airlines and destinations have severe weight-limits on baggage....substantially lower then the US domestic airlines impose....in some cases you'll be hit with substantial excess baggage fees...in other cases you can't get your gear on the plane if it's overweight, at any price.......so always do your homework on this in advance to avoid unpleasant surprises.

Karl

#5 partypimp

partypimp

Getting started

• Pip
  • 32 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1,000+

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:13 AM

The way I pack for any kinda of airline travel with div gear is with one of these
http://www.divesport..._boxes_1610.asp
pretty much ya can't break it.
its not as compact and all but i know its not getting man handled
other than that yea you might have to split into two bags
good luck to ya a remember that high schooler or or college kid who handles your bag does not really give a hoover damn about what you got packed

#6 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 24 December 2006 - 09:44 AM

For me, I'm less worried about breakage than loss. Going, I try to carry what I need to dive when I get there - reg, bp/w, a computer, mask, fins, wetsuit. I would hate to lose any divies - while most places have rental gear - some do not, or the quality is not what you'd be comfortable with.

Returning I check everything except my computers. I leave my batteries with the divemaster.

I check all my other gear- spares, batteries, save-a-dive kit etc. The only dive items TSA cares about are knives, spearguns and flares. You can check everything except flares. You can have tools less than 7 inches in your carry-on.

Leaving Roatan, the security screener there made me check my backplate - said it might be a weapon.

Check before you go, some flights to remote areas are on very small airplanes with very restrictive weight policies.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,631 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 December 2006 - 11:03 AM

Having flown a few times to go diving...here is what I do. (Note that everyone is different and the ALL the advice is good. Apply whatever makes sense to you.)

1. (1) regular luggage bag 50# on the money (this is the current US FREE weight limit per bag and most international) for my personal stuff and usually SD t-shirts for the trip etc.
2. (1) regular luggage bag 50# on the money for my dive gear including bp&w, light, fins, etc.
3. (1) drysuit bag with drysuit AND my regulator, my dive computer and my mask.
4. (1) one small backpack (personal item) with paperwork for the trip, small laptop, etc.

Other tips...

1. Use your towel, swim stuff etc to cushion your gear in your dive bag.
2. Hand carry that which you have the most invested or would be hardest to rent at your destination. For example I always carry my mask as they would be very difficult for me to rent. The one time I did not have it and I needed it, fortunately Karl aka scubafanatic was on the trip and had nearly the same mask I use. :evilgrin: (Now you know why he needs so many suitcases as he does...he carries LOTS of extras.) :wavey:
3. Use a regular suitcase as opposed to dive bags. Your bag is less likely to scream 'steal me'.
4. Do put a boat bag in your suitcase to carry all your stuff onto the boat or to the beach etc. Trying to roll your suitcase onto the boat just doesn't work.
5. Put a distinctive luggage tag or identifier on your bag. You'd hate to have someone accidently walk off with your stuff!
6. To weigh your bags weigh yourself first then pick up the bag and weigh yourself together. Scales are more accurate on the heavy end so you'll get a pretty accurate reading this way.
7. Think about how you will bring extra goodies home with you. If your bags are full going then you'll be overweight.
8. Watch at the airport exactly what they weigh your bags out as so you'll know for the next time. If your suitcases are close to the 50# mark, try to pack the same things in each when you return so that you don't have to do the weight guessing game again.
9. Have the airport weigh the bag you think is heaviest first. That way you have them both together if you need to pull from one to put into the other.
10. Also try to get your gear as DRY as possible as you'll have extra water weight that you were not prepared for otherwise.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 secretsea18

secretsea18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,007 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:1062

Posted 30 December 2006 - 12:53 PM

I always fly to my dive destinations and check everything for diving in one bag, except for my prescription dive mask, swimsuit, camera/housing/strobes and dive computer which always go into my carryon Porter case. (A hard sided case with wheels that transforms into a trolly to cart around all of my luggage! :birthday: )

All the dive gear including the BC, reg, lights, fins etc go into a wheeled duffle bag (WITHOUT any identifing DIVE logos!) and then a TSA lock goes on the zipper (just a small deterrent).

Very importantly, all the gear AND UW camera stuff is FULLY insured by DEPP for full replacement cost. The cost of the policy for everything including flood insurance for lenses and cameras is a small price to pay in case of theft or the airlines completely losing everything. There are other companies that provide dive gear insurance and I believe that DAN and perhaps PADI offer them. I have had DEPP for years now and been happy with it. I unfortunately had a camera/lens flood a few years back and they replaced the items right away without fuss.

Get the insurance and fly unencumbered by heavy dive gear in your checkins. :birthday:

Robin

PS I flew to New Zealand and they actually weighed my carryon bag. allowance was just 7 KG ... I had to put stuff into my checkin bag from my carryon bag. Not a fun way to end a trip...

#9 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 17 January 2007 - 06:45 PM

Two other suggestions:
1) pack your logbook in your carryon bag. I lost mine in a checked bag coming back from Fiji a few years ago.
2) pack a large drybag with you in case you swim/snorkel on the last day and your stuff doesn't have a chance to dry. They're usually used to keep the stuff inside dry from the wet outside, but it works great in the reverse. I got mine at REI:
http://www.rei.com/o...vcat=REI_SEARCH
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#10 cdtgray

cdtgray

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Recreational: NAUI Instructor, Technical: Full Trimix
  • Logged Dives:A few hundred-ish but most are not LOGGED.

Posted 17 January 2007 - 07:09 PM

I would also suggest grabbing some cable ties to use to secure your bags. Although they arent hard to open, since they require cutting they are probably harder to access than the TSA locks that everyone probably has keys for now. Won't stop a determined thief, but might be enough to deter the opportunistic ones.

#11 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 17 January 2007 - 08:02 PM

I would also suggest grabbing some cable ties to use to secure your bags. Although they arent hard to open, since they require cutting they are probably harder to access than the TSA locks that everyone probably has keys for now. Won't stop a determined thief, but might be enough to deter the opportunistic ones.

Hi ya, Here's my bad back input. One checked bag w/ wheels and telescope hard handles. No bags that have dive logos or fin pockets. Some good quality wheeled duffles and or hard bottom halves can be found at Costco, BJ's Club and Sams Club. Most are very inexpensive. Some cool wheeled bags are now convert with hidden backpack straps for sandy or rocky area where wheeels don't work well( if you have a strong back).

All dive gear except for mask, hoseless computer and camera in 1 checked bag at 50lb. Mask, H-less computer, camera, all batteries, all clothes for land and sea except wetsuit goes in wheeled carry on. Just watch out for the size of carry on, weight of carryon less of a consideration. I think most airlines say 40 lbs. All med's,passport, travel documents, money secured in your personel item( small messanger bag always at your side).

So you have 1 more bag you can use as checked bag. I use one non-wheeled large ripstop black nylon outerbag that conseals my open dive boat bag that contains all my non essential dive gear, clothes, food, presents, stuff to donate, things that can be crushed or banged around. This bag usually weights for me about 25-30 lbs, so there's weight and space that you can put more stuff in or carry some of your dive buddy gear if they are over weight. I usually secure this bag on top of and to the hard handle of the large wheeled check bag when moving from bus shuttle, bagage claims, check in counters.

Smooth Travels,
Scubaski
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#12 ereediver

ereediver

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:53 PM

Thank all of those who posted. Ive never had to fly with so much stuff. Half of me says just rent and leave my gear for local...drivable distances... your suggestions should help.

Thanks John

#13 timalso

timalso

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Cert Level:instructor
  • Logged Dives:350

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:39 PM

Thank all of those who posted. Ive never had to fly with so much stuff. Half of me says just rent and leave my gear for local...drivable distances... your suggestions should help.

Thanks John

John, I've never had a theft problem but everything goes into my Akona large wheeled bag except for my regs&computer, a smim suit, a prescription mask and my dive log book. My prescription mask was once broken by the bag handlers. This way I am ready to do a shore if there is one at the resort. My camera comes on board in custom hardcase. If your checked bag is lost or delayed your still ready to dive with your own regs which well worth carrying on board with you.

#14 pocahontas

pocahontas

• PipPipPipPip
  • 318 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:165

Posted 22 January 2007 - 08:53 PM

Hmmm...I wonder if I should even chime in here...

I had recently perfected a packing system which allowed me to fit all of my dive gear, bathing suits, make-up, toiletries, little black dresses, strappy sandels, jewelry, sunscreen, bug repellent etc etc into one rolling carry on and one backpack. It involved using pilates bands to tie stuff together and I was very psyched and proud of it. I know several of you witnessed it on the whale shark trip. Unfortunately I'm not sure if this will work anymore since I will probably have to check my sunscreen and shampoo and stuff.
Now - the reason I went to such lengths to develop such a sophisticated packing system? They lost my luggage several times. Fortunately I always carried my reg and computer and enough clothes to get me through a day or two with me but let me tell you, rental gear sucks. I'm probably just not going to bring toiletries with me and hit the farmacia as soon as I land and still try to get away with my previous arrangement. I did have to sacrifice one of those scuba tool thingys once and they definitely won't let you take a knife. And I forgot to take the batteries out of my light on the way back and they made me take them out.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

Stopping by Woods - Robert. Frost

#15 Moose

Moose

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts
  • Cert Level:Numerous
  • Logged Dives:Fg = (m x D) m10^-2

Posted 23 January 2007 - 06:46 AM

Hmmm...I wonder if I should even chime in here...

I had recently perfected a packing system which allowed me to fit all of my dive gear, bathing suits, make-up, toiletries, little black dresses, strappy sandels, jewelry, sunscreen, bug repellent etc etc into one rolling carry on and one backpack. It involved using pilates bands to tie stuff together and I was very psyched and proud of it. I know several of you witnessed it on the whale shark trip. Unfortunately I'm not sure if this will work anymore since I will probably have to check my sunscreen and shampoo and stuff.
Now - the reason I went to such lengths to develop such a sophisticated packing system? They lost my luggage several times. Fortunately I always carried my reg and computer and enough clothes to get me through a day or two with me but let me tell you, rental gear sucks. I'm probably just not going to bring toiletries with me and hit the farmacia as soon as I land and still try to get away with my previous arrangement. I did have to sacrifice one of those scuba tool thingys once and they definitely won't let you take a knife. And I forgot to take the batteries out of my light on the way back and they made me take them out.

Great points, Heidi. I do want to comment on the 'rental gear suck' comment. When I went to DR in Dec, I had my gear, but on a little side trip, I found a German speaking dive shop. I didn't have my gear with me, but they gave me full rental for an extra $5. However, the gear was all set up in some crazy Europe fashion. (Octopus on left side, no depth gauge or compass, etc.) What was worst, the only gauge I had was tank pressure, in BAR only! Now, at 80' of depth (which is only a guess of how deep I was!) is no place to be trying to do metric conversions! Worst yet, a full tank was 200 BAR, but the gauge went up to like 800 BAR. So that means that the needle moved from the 9’o clock position for “full” to the 8’o clock position for “out of air.” No fun. :thankyou:

When packing, make sure you put at least one change of clothes in your carryon. That way if your bags are lost or delayed, you have a change until you can replace them.

FWIW, normally don’t carry any real clothes with me. I found that when I get to the location, I figure out what I need, clothes-wise, and just buy it there. I dress like crap anyway. :dance:
Moose
Everything I know about knots, I learned from Alexander the Great.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users