• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boots & Fins and Fins & Kicks

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:06 PM

I have two questions:

1. Do certain types of boots fit best with certain types of fin pockets?

I have a pair of Seasoft boots that I just love since they feel like a cross trainer as opposed to regular dive boots that I tried on that felt like a $5 pair of runners found at the dollar store. But due to the shape of them, I question how well they fit into my fins (Mares Avanti Quattros). The best way to describe the situation is to say that my boot is asymmetrical as a foot would be, whereas the fin pocket is symmetrical. (As most dive boots appear to be, I've found.)

Which leads me to my next question...

I read the following in another thread:

I switched to Turtle Fins which look like and perform very much the same as jet fins. ... The big advantage of this fin design is that you can learn to effectively use the Frog, Modified Frog, Backup and Helicopter kicks.

2. Do certain types of fins lend themselves better to certain types of kicks?

I've been told that certain types of fins are more powerful than others, but is the reason I struggle with the frog kick because my fins aren't the best for it? One thing I *think* I noticed while trying the frog kick in my new fins during my last trip... it felt as if the boot was moving from side to side (albeit slightly) inside the fin pocket.

#2 nurseshark

nurseshark

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW,Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:41 PM

I have two questions:

I learned the hard way to always take your booties with you when trying on new fins..
Take the heaviest ones you will wear to make sure they will fit correctly with the fins you are considering buying then no surprises when you try out your new diving for the first time.

Karen

#3 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 22 January 2007 - 03:33 PM

...in addition to Nurseshark's helpful hints, I'd also recommend 'dive socks' , worn, of course, inside one's booties...I think mine are 'Polartec' brand...they make a tremendous comfort difference, it's been 3 or 4 yrs since I've done a dive without them.

...also, for what it's worth, I dive Apollo Bio Fins with stainless steel spring straps....buth the fins and the straps are awesome in the water...I never leave home without them.

Karl

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:16 PM

The fin thing could be a source of controversy. :wavey: Yes, fins do make a difference in kicking efficiency. There are different shapes and sizes of foot pockets, too.

It is best to test them out before settling on one or the other. If you dive both wet and dry, you will want to try them out wearing both booties since it is unlikely that both will be exactly the same shape and size. Lucky for me, both pairs of booties fit in my fins (though I haven't been in my wetsuit in three years other than two times).
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:28 PM

I've found that I prefer to do certain kinds of kicks in the water, bought fins that allowed me to do those well, then bought boots to fit the fins.

The Mares Avanti's are soft from what I understand and will not work well for doing certain types of kicks (like a frog or mod frog). Apparently are good for flutter kicking. Short, broad blades like Jets, Turtles, Rockets, or the OMS Slipstream, seem to work best for these alternate kicks. Long paddle fins seem to work well for flutter kicking. I have a set of long Aqualung Blades, but I haven't worn them for anything in years.

As for certain boots feeling like $5 trainers, I can honestly say I never feel the difference when I am weightless. The feel of certain things changes drastically, when you don't weigh anything, so I try not to judge SCUBA gear by how it feels on the surface.

Best of Luck,

-P

I have two questions:

2. Do certain types of fins lend themselves better to certain types of kicks?

#6 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:36 PM

Yes, fins do make a difference in kicking efficiency. There are different shapes and sizes of foot pockets, too.

This is what I was looking for. Thank you, Howard.

I did try on my boots with fins when I first bought my fins at Diver's Direct, and was told by the sales person that they were fine. The boots themselves are great, and although I can ram them into my fins, I don't think they're the ideal shape for my particular fin pocket.

Thx for the input on kicking styles and specific fins, Perrone. One less thing to worry about for the upcoming trip. :wavey:

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 10:55 PM

So while I'm waiting for my tea to reach drinking temperature, I thought I'd pull out my boots and fins to see just how *badly* they fit one another. The deepest I can get my boot into the fin pocket leaves about 3/4" at the tip of the pocket. Is this OK? :thankyou: Should the boot ideally reach the end of the pocket? (I never thought to ask this question when I bought the fins.)

I think one of the reasons I was having problems with the frog kick was perhaps my boots weren't pushed in far enough in the fin pocket, hence the feeling of my foot moving back and forth.

One thing I do know... I definitely want to buy spring straps.

#8 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:07 PM

Sounds like your fins are too large. The taper on the footpocket should probably make them get tight BEFORE your foot gets to the end. Should be no sliding back and forth.

#9 DIVEAK

DIVEAK

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 61 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AI also GUE: DSAT: TDI: EFR /AED Instructor
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:36 PM

Jet type fins are stiff and heavy and they present a good choice to divers who want to get away from a flutter style kick. This is important when diving in an environment where silt caused by the diver(s) will be undesirable and potentially even dangerous. Technical divers are very concerned about this. Soft fins and particularily split fins are less effecient using these methods and they are almost completely ineffective for a back up kick. Recreational divers who can develop a good back up kick find that they can develop lots more useful skills from there. Developing these skills takes time and practice. I spent (spend) a lot of time in the pool practicing these techniques. The main thing I guess is to be happy and comfortable with your gear. Lots of good divers disagree with me on this topic.

#10 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:43 PM

Sounds like your fins are too large. The taper on the footpocket should probably make them get tight BEFORE your foot gets to the end. Should be no sliding back and forth.

Perrone, I think you misunderstand me... my boot does not get to the end of the foot pocket -- it stops about 3/4" from the end. As long as I push my boot in as far as possible, there isn't much, if any, side to side motion. (My mistake for typing "back and forth"; what I meant was *side to side*.) I think there were times during my last trip when my fins weren't on as well as they could have been. Anyway, the fins are a size small.

BTW, have you heard from Gregg lately? I emailed him about 2 weeks ago and phoned his new number on the website, and haven't heard anything back yet. Is he away?

#11 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 11:48 PM

Side to side is often a problem for people with thinner feet. Fins tend to be cut kinda wide.

Gregg's been away, now he's back, but in rebreather class. I was down in Wakulla on the weekend, and saw him for an hour... before he had to run.

-P

(My mistake for typing "back and forth"; what I meant was *side to side*.) I think there were times during my last trip when my fins weren't on as well as they could have been. Anyway, the fins are a size small.

BTW, have you heard from Gregg lately? I emailed him about 2 weeks ago and phoned his new number on the website, and haven't heard anything back yet. Is he away?

#12 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 January 2007 - 11:53 AM

Gregg's been away, now he's back, but in rebreather class. I was down in Wakulla on the weekend, and saw him for an hour... before he had to run.

-P

Thx, Perrone! :thankyou: I'll sit tight for now, and try again in a couple of weeks if I haven't heard anything.

#13 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 23 January 2007 - 03:02 PM

I dive a pair of Mares Avanti Quattros with Henderson dive booties...I've never had an issue with the frog kick, modified frog, or helicopter. I haven't been able to master backing up so the fin might be my problem - it always seems that I don't get any "grip" or "bite" though that could be an issue with technique too.

I had a problem with these fins moving side to side on my feet until I switched to a wider bootie. I always had blisters on my ankles after a week of diving. I haven't had a blister since I moved to the Henderson booties, ScubaToys has them listed as "Henderson pull on athletic sole boot"

#14 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 12:30 AM

Jet type fins are stiff and heavy and they present a good choice to divers who want to get away from a flutter style kick. This is important when diving in an environment where silt caused by the diver(s) will be undesirable and potentially even dangerous. Technical divers are very concerned about this. Soft fins and particularily split fins are less effecient using these methods and they are almost completely ineffective for a back up kick. Recreational divers who can develop a good back up kick find that they can develop lots more useful skills from there. Developing these skills takes time and practice. I spent (spend) a lot of time in the pool practicing these techniques. The main thing I guess is to be happy and comfortable with your gear. Lots of good divers disagree with me on this topic.

Thx for your input, DIVEAK! I've heard great things about Jet fins, but frankly, as a solely *vacation* diver, I just can't see myself dragging those behemoths around! :birthday:

I dive a pair of Mares Avanti Quattros with Henderson dive booties...I've never had an issue with the frog kick, modified frog, or helicopter. I haven't been able to master backing up so the fin might be my problem - it always seems that I don't get any "grip" or "bite" though that could be an issue with technique too.<snip>

Well, there goes my excuse for not learning the frog kick. Thx, Kim. :banghead: (j/k :huh:)

#15 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 24 January 2007 - 09:47 AM

[

I dive a pair of Mares Avanti Quattros with Henderson dive booties...I've never had an issue with the frog kick, modified frog, or helicopter. I haven't been able to master backing up so the fin might be my problem - it always seems that I don't get any "grip" or "bite" though that could be an issue with technique too.<snip>

Well, there goes my excuse for not learning the frog kick. Thx, Kim. :dry: (j/k ;))

:)
it doesn't hurt that I've been swimming since I was about 2 years old. I think I have a few years swimming experience over you, so don't worry...it will all come together!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users