• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boots & Fins and Fins & Kicks

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#61 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:06 PM

Thanks for the feedback, guys! :dry:

I personally prefer the fabric ones. Whatever the material, it needs to completely cover the spring.

<snip>

The XS SCUBA straps <snip>

Thx for the link, Jim! Why do you prefer the fabric covering to plastic? I would have thought that fabric would wear faster than plastic. :unsure:

Perrone, those Mantas of yours... are they the same one Gregg uses? (They were also on the fins that I was borrowing during my OW.) Does Gregg sell them?

#62 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:09 PM

Thx for the link, Jim! Why do you prefer the fabric covering to plastic? I would have thought that fabric would wear faster than plastic. :unsure:

It's not exactly "fabric." It's a heavy canvas liner simmilar to webbing. I personally find it more comfortable.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#63 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:24 PM

I don't know what Gregg uses. Never looked at his fins to be honest. But I bought my Manta's off the wall of the shop. They aren't cheap though.

#64 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:30 PM

I have used Mantas (with plastic tubing) and Halcyon (with nylon tubular webbing). I, too, prefer the fabric to the plastic covers over the spring straps. The plastic is thicker, and it can roll over the back of the foot, allowing the spring strap to come off easier. It won't happen every time. However, it is enough of an issue that I would say to go with the fabric version.

The XS straps look like they are the best constructed of all though I have never tried them.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#65 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 February 2007 - 03:32 PM

I don't know what Gregg uses. Never looked at his fins to be honest. But I bought my Manta's off the wall of the shop. They aren't cheap though.

I know! $63 on the Manta website. No wonder you say you can't afford any SD trips. :dry:

Gregg's and Gregg's daughter's fins both have plastic tubing on the spring. If you got yours off the wall, I'm guessing so did they. :unsure:

Howard, I have a fin strap guard on the back of my boot. I reckon it's to prevent scenarios like the one you described above.

#66 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 21 February 2007 - 04:46 PM

Howard, I have a fin strap guard on the back of my boot. I reckon it's to prevent scenarios like the one you described above.

That will probably work.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#67 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 21 February 2007 - 05:02 PM

It's not exactly "fabric." It's a heavy canvas liner simmilar to webbing. I personally find it more comfortable.

Sorry - could not think of a better word for it. :cheerleader: It's pretty sturdy stuff though, and I also find it more comfortable. It also seems to be a little bit easier to grab with wet gloves (on those rare occasions when I actually use gloves). I can't really comment on the relative wear. I know that the canvas covering will eventually wear through, but I'd be concerned that the plastic covering might become brittle and split or break - it's probably a toss-up.
Will DIR for food!

#68 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:50 PM

I have the Henderson InstaDry booties and there's a little notch on the heel (below the foot) where the spring fits nicely. If you haven't bought your booties yet, I would highly recommend these.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#69 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 08 March 2007 - 06:57 PM

I have the Henderson InstaDry booties and there's a little notch on the heel (below the foot) where the spring fits nicely. If you haven't bought your booties yet, I would highly recommend these.

Ahem... see post #65. :o

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users