• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Boots & Fins and Fins & Kicks

• Please log in to reply
68 replies to this topic

#31 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 12:56 PM

She's not trying to be DIR. If Force fins work for her, then great. Personally, my jets work great for me, fit well, and I can't see using anything else unless I had to. But that's just me.

I've got a set of Force Fins at the shop I've been wanting to try out. We'll see how they work.

#32 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:12 PM

Thanks for trying Walter. Honestly, if I was just going to flutter kick around a reef, I doub't I'd be in Jets either. Maybe a set of used Force Fins is in order.

Naw, Jets are the way to go. I've been using them since I started diving. I've tried different fins, but I always come back to Jets. Also, around a reef, a flutter kick is not usually the best choice.

Hey Walter ... a lot's happened since you started diving: the invention of the transistor, pain-free dentistry....
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#33 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:21 PM

Perrone

I will agree with you on that one, it comes down to preference. To each is there own.

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#34 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:28 PM

Thanks for trying Walter. Honestly, if I was just going to flutter kick around a reef, I doub't I'd be in Jets either. Maybe a set of used Force Fins is in order.

Naw, Jets are the way to go. I've been using them since I started diving. I've tried different fins, but I always come back to Jets. Also, around a reef, a flutter kick is not usually the best choice.

Hey Walter ... a lot's happened since you started diving: the invention of the transistor, pain-free dentistry....

........man discovered fire, invention of the wheel, invention of split fins........

Edited by Walter, 13 February 2007 - 01:28 PM.

No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#35 JimG

JimG

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 470 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor Trainer
  • Logged Dives:Not enough!

Posted 13 February 2007 - 01:37 PM

........man discovered fire, invention of the wheel, invention of split fins........

That's all fine, but can you remember when the Law of Gravity was just a Bill?

-JimG
Will DIR for food!

#36 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 13 February 2007 - 02:03 PM

Remember it? He suggested it!

#37 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 13 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

I don't know if it is still available by searching, but I wrote up a step-by-step on how to do the backwards kick sometime back. That might also be of assistance.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#38 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:31 PM

Well... my open mind, size XS dive boot and I ventured over to the North Shore to try on a pair of Jet fins. (The LDS I first tried to get certified with is closing this location. Everything's on sale. :usflag:)

They had no mediums in stock, but no matter, they wouldn't have fit anyway. Neither did the large. And I don't think the XL fit either. It wasn't until I tried one (XXL?) that had a ginormous foot pocket, that I was actually able to slide my boot in past the midway point. And I probably could have fit both boots in it, too! :flirt: But I was determined. I tried on a generic-shaped boot the LDS carries, and still couldn't find a fit. :angel2:

So I'm curious... what brands/styles of boots are you Jets fans wearing? What about Chuck Taylor's? (I'll reckon I'll be sticking with my Mares fins for a long time...)

#39 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:09 AM

I wear a size 12 Pinnacle Apex boot. Although my Henderson size 12 Octoboot fit fine, as do my new Henderson size 14 (for my drysuit) Octoboots fit nicely as well.

The Jet fin pocket is designed to only come just beyond the arch of your foot. Your entire heel typically ssticks out. This is normal. I suspect the medium would have fit you just fine, or MAYBE the large. I wear the XL to fit a man's size 12-14 shoe.

Edited by PerroneFord, 16 February 2007 - 12:10 AM.

#40 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:18 AM

The Jet fin pocket is designed to only come just beyond the arch of your foot. Your entire heel typically ssticks out. This is normal. I suspect the medium would have fit you just fine, or MAYBE the large. I wear the XL to fit a man's size 12-14 shoe.

Well, I just don't know... I only managed to fit about half of my boot into the large and the XL, I believe. Even with the strap at its loosest setting, it still wouldn't have gone over my heel. (Or just barely.)

Apparently, the medium Jet should fit a size 9-10 (men's). Since I'm generally an 8 1/2 in women's sizes, and my boot is an XS, I thought I'd have no problem, but it just wasn't so.

#41 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 16 February 2007 - 05:36 AM

The medium Jet is tiny. There is absolutely no way a man's 9 - 10 will fit a medium Jet. I wear a size 9. I wear a Large Jet with most boots. With some boots, I need the XL. As Perrone said, the Jet is not designed to go much past the midway point of the boot. If you wear a size 8˝ womens, the medium probably won't fit. The large fin fits a woman's size 8 quite nicely.

I've used many different brands of boots over the years - Scubapro, TUSA, Deep Sea, Deep See and others that don't come immediately to mind. They've all fit in the large Jets except the Deep See and the dry suit boots (US Divers) with required the XL jets.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#42 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

Here is where I got the information about M fitting a size 9-10. I assumed they meant men's sizing.

If the fin should only fit up to the boot's midway point, what about the strap? As previously mentioned, I could not get the strap up around my heel, even on the loosest setting. (Or just barely... I assumed the fin was too small so I didn't complete the attempt.)

What about the front of the foot pocket? If the boot only needs to go in half-way, more or less, are there any guidelines as to how much empty space should be left in the front of the foot pocket? :thankyou:

#43 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:29 PM

We put springs straps on. There should be nearly no space at the front of the foot pocket. This is likely why the strap is not fitting, and why you think you need a larger size than you do.

#44 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:37 PM

Then I'm guessing my boots don't work with Jets. I did a quick check when I tried them on yesterday and there was quite a bit of space -- probably more than an inch. Part of the problem may be that the boot's arch area is cut *tall*. From what I can remember, the foot pocket on the Jet seemed rather *short*.

#45 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 01:10 PM

An inch is no big deal, this isn't ball bearings. See how the fins fit with your bare feet. If your diving in the tropics, you probably shouln't be wearing thick boots anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users