• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Putting It All Together...

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 annasea

annasea

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 02:29 PM

So now that a reg has (almost) been bought, a depth gauge almost won, and an SPG almost selected, I'm wondering about hose lengths for all these treasures. (Actually, just three -- the primary 2nd stage, the octo and the SPG. I'm going wrist mount for the depth gauge.)

I found some information here on the various hose lengths available as well as a few recommendations, but since I've received questionable information from LDSs in the past, I thought it best to check with the *experts* here first before I visit an LDS and make actual purchases.

I'll be wearing my primary on a long hose with the octo bungeed around my neck. The SPG will be clipped off on a D-ring on my left side. Are there any guidelines for length anyone would care to share? Also, I'm guessing there are different brands of hoses... :diver: If so, are there any manufacturers I should avoid?

TIA! :birthday:

#2 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:12 PM

So now that a reg has (almost) been bought, a depth gauge almost won, and an SPG almost selected, I'm wondering about hose lengths for all these treasures. (Actually, just three -- the primary 2nd stage, the octo and the SPG. I'm going wrist mount for the depth gauge.)

I found some information here on the various hose lengths available as well as a few recommendations, but since I've received questionable information from LDSs in the past, I thought it best to check with the *experts* here first before I visit an LDS and make actual purchases.

I'll be wearing my primary on a long hose with the octo bungeed around my neck. The SPG will be clipped off on a D-ring on my left side. Are there any guidelines for length anyone would care to share?

TIA! :diver:

...well, presently I'm using 32 " SPG hoses, and I have mine clipped off to my front left waist D-ring, just in front of the weight pocket. It may be best to assemble all your gear together as if you're about to do a dive, and measure the hose length you prefer based on your exact configuration. I guess I won't address the hose lengths of the primary or octo as you've apparently already chosen the DIR guidelines on those....just remember, with a 7' primary hose, you'll need a pocket/can light/ or reel mounted on the lower waist right side to tuck/route/stow that hose for a streamlined configuration.

I own/use 3' , 4' , 5' and 7' hoses, depending on which reg set and which application I'm dealing with....but I won't get into all that right now.

Karl

#3 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 03:32 PM

<snip> I guess I won't address the hose lengths of the primary or octo as you've apparently already chosen the DIR guidelines on those....<snip>

Well, not quite... :diver: While I like the configuration of what is normally associated with DIR, I have no interest in a 7' hose, for example.

What I'm interested in is knowing if they are any guidelines, hints and tips, or personal preferences that people have discovered over the years that work but are not necessarily taught or endorsed by an agency or LDS.

#4 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 05:52 PM

*sigh*

I have used a 24" and 26" SPG hose. I don't know I'd use a 32" as it would literally hang to my knee.

I started with a 5' long hose, then went to a 7'. The 7ft is far easier to manage and deal with. And no, you don't need a pocket or a can light to stow it. Half of my dives are done without either. It tucks right into the waistband. The 7' hose is easuer to deal with Annasea. Believe me.

The backup reg is on a 22" or 24" hose. I use a 24 for singles, and that seems to work best for most people.

I don't know how long my BC inflator hose is. The one that came with your BP/W should be just fine.

#5 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:04 PM

Tsk! Then that XS Scuba SPG with 32" hose isn't such a great deal after all. :birthday:

I dived with a 7' hose and I must say, I just didn't care for it. Perrone, do you remember the length of hose Gregg has on his student regs? I think that was an OK length for me.

Inflator hose? I guess I'll see it once I get my wing in June. :diver:

#6 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:17 PM

Diving with the 7ft hose takes some getting used to. and it must be managed. Please remember that you did not dive the 7ft hose in a BP/W but a jacket BC which closes in a different manner.

I think Gregg uses a standard 40" hose (normal octopus length) for a primary. It is neither long enough to wrap, and too short to tuck. It also limits swimming options should you not wish to ascend directly to the surface (like if you want to swim to an anchor line first then ascend on the line.

I would strongly encourage you not to re-invent the wheel. Hundreds of people have asked this question before you, dove all kinds of gear, and come to similar conclusions.

I have a 5ft and a 40" hose sitting in the corner gathering dust if you want them.

#7 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:30 PM

Perrone, I dived with a 7' hose AND a BP/W when I borrowed Lesley's reg and Kamala's BP/W. Lesley insisted that I not use Kamala's short-hosed reg. There were oodles and hordes of hose to tuck and I just didn't see the need for it. So unless someone else comes along and poo-poos a 5' hose with good reason, I just might raid that corner of yours. :birthday:

BTW, I won the depth gauge you linked me to. $4.99 US! (No other bids.) :diver:

#8 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 25 March 2007 - 06:41 PM

<snip> I guess I won't address the hose lengths of the primary or octo as you've apparently already chosen the DIR guidelines on those....<snip>

Well, not quite... :diver: While I like the configuration of what is normally associated with DIR, I have no interest in a 7' hose, for example.

What I'm interested in is knowing if they are any guidelines, hints and tips, or personal preferences that people have discovered over the years that work but are not necessarily taught or endorsed by an agency or LDS.

....hmmm, well, if we put aside the DIR guidelines, as it were, I'll tell you generally how I've set up my recreational regs:

36 " HP hose, clipped to right side lower waist D-ring, for AI Oceanic Datamax Pro Plus single-gas/air/Nitrox computer.

32 " HP hose, clipped to lower left side waist D-ring, for Halcyon SPG.

26 " LP hoses ( 2 ) , to inflate my dual bladder DiveRite Dual Rec Wing, one hose on the left side for my primary bladder, the second hose on the right side for my back-up bladder.

32" primary second stage hose, as I'm using Atomic Aquatics stainless steel 2nd-stage swivel hoses on most of my regs, and that's the standard length they are sold from Atomic. ( however, at significant extra expense Atomic will make these hoses in any custom length you desire. )

36" or 48" 'octo' hoses, with omni-directional Apeks Egress 'flat' octos....... 3 or 4 ft. lengths are fine here as this octo works upside down, so it requires less length of hose to achieve the 'effective' deployable length of a conventional octo. I stow/tuck the extra length of the 4 ft. octo hose along inside of the bungie cord of my wing, so it's very streamlined yet easily deployable.

...I noticed you've selected the Apeks XTX 200, which is a good choice, I bought a pair of these just last year myself....... I've been very pleased with their performance, max depth achieved on them so far is 165 ft. and they worked splendedly! I'm going to suggest 2 'improvements' to seriously consider :

1) install a 1st stage over pressure valve
2) install a 2nd-stage swivel hose on the primary second stage ( either the universal fit Atomic one, or the new Apeks one, just came out on the market ) don't bother buying the cheap Trident brand separate swivel, you need the high quality of the Atomic/Apeks version.

...hope this helps,

Karl

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:50 PM

Karl,

Do you have any pictures of you on land or in the water with this recreational setup?? I'm REALLY curious how you are routing a 32" or 36" HP hose to your D-Ring without it hanging halfway down your thigh.

I am also curious how you store your octo with a 36" or 48" hose.

Why do you suggest adding a swivel to the primary? And why would anyone need a OPV on the first stage with two second stages attached? Usually this is done when the first stage has no second stages attached (like an argon reg feeding a drysuit).

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 08:52 PM

Perrone, I dived with a 7' hose AND a BP/W when I borrowed Lesley's reg and Kamala's BP/W. Lesley insisted that I not use Kamala's short-hosed reg. There were oodles and hordes of hose to tuck and I just didn't see the need for it. So unless someone else comes along and poo-poos a 5' hose with good reason, I just might raid that corner of yours. :blush:

BTW, I won the depth gauge you linked me to. $4.99 US! (No other bids.) :blush3:

Ooook. I hope your 5ft hose experience is better than mine, and better than most other people's. The 5' hose is not designed to tuck... so don't try.

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:03 PM

Ooook. I hope your 5ft hose experience is better than mine, and better than most other people's. The 5' hose is not designed to tuck... so don't try.

I wasn't planning on tucking the 5' hose... I hadn't really thought what I'd do with it quite yet. But if I don't want the 7' foot hose, and the 5' hose isn't the solution either, that leaves the 40" hose. Please explain what the following in reference to the 40" hose means...

It also limits swimming options should you not wish to ascend directly to the surface (like if you want to swim to an anchor line first then ascend on the line.

#12 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 25 March 2007 - 09:24 PM

I wasn't planning on tucking the 5' hose... I hadn't really thought what I'd do with it quite yet. But if I don't want the 7' foot hose, and the 5' hose isn't the solution either, that leaves the 40" hose. Please explain what the following in reference to the 40" hose means...

It also limits swimming options should you not wish to ascend directly to the surface (like if you want to swim to an anchor line first then ascend on the line.

Watch the following video, then ask yoursellf if you could manage something similar with a 40" hose:

http://www.divetekad...os/VideoOOA.htm

#13 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 26 March 2007 - 12:00 AM

All I can comment on is what I do which is to use a 24" hose (I think) for the SPG which is attached to my left hip D-ring. I use a 22" hose bungeed around my neck for the backup and I use a standard octo length hose for my primary and I do use a swivel as I route this hose under my right arm.

It is less convenient when donating air than a 7' hose but then again I don't need to do that very often. I have often heard as Perrone mentions that the 5' hose is not such a great option so either go with a 7' hose or go with a 40" hose as I have. If you do use a 40" hose I think you will also want to use a swivel to route it under your arm.

Edited by gcbryan, 26 March 2007 - 12:01 AM.

#14 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 09:26 AM

Watch the following video, then ask yoursellf if you could manage something similar with a 40" hose:

http://www.divetekad...os/VideoOOA.htm

HAH! The answer is... YES! :blush3: If you want the details, I'll PM you.

Thx for the input, Gray. :blush: What exactly is a swivel, BTW?

I'll check out one of Vancouver's decent LDSs later this week, and report back accordingly.

#15 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 26 March 2007 - 10:15 AM

swer is... YES! :teeth: If you want the details, I'll PM you.

No problem then. Use the 40" hose, and you're all set.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users