• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

AUCTION - Second "Dream Dive" in the Bahamas...

• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#106 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:48 PM

Oh how this thread has progressed during the past 36 hours. Babs' bid caused my heart to skip a couple beats and almost knocked my socks off, until I read the clarification.

There's still time to raise the bidding even higher!!!

I'm disappointed WW has not been receiptive to our offer to develop a program. While I was in Bonaire I became aware of a WW event at one of the dive resorts this past summer. Maybe they have received sufficient support from other sources. I have no reservations about our support going to another organization helping disabled veterans through diving.

This past summer a good friend lost his father. At the funeral and wake afterward, I met my friend's brother. His lung function is now 25% of normal, due to exposure to agent orange during a previous military action. As we talked longer, I was surprised to learn, he used to dive, he showed me his PADI card from the early 70's. During the past month, he's been back to the hospital, changed his medications, perscribed a new breathing treatment, and increased his O2 usage. The VA is now considering increasing his disability from 25%, eventhough he hasn't been able to work for years. Two weeks ago, we met and talked more, to discover our past experiences were closer than we had ever thought, our tours of duty over lapped, and our units were connected. I wish I could get him back in the water one more [last] time.

These warriors need our help, and will need it next year, and the next, and the next, for the next 20, 30, 40, or more years.

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

#107 H20 Bug

H20 Bug

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveControlSpecial Cert
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 26 November 2007 - 11:16 PM

:thankyou: :wakawaka: DiverBabs, great job on the bid :cool2: :cheerleader:

I think that you deserve the dream dive for being so clever and recruiting donations from friends, so I too concede on the bidding.

As to what program to donate the money – I did a little research tonight :P on the agencies that Kamala listed in one of the posts above:

I couldn’t find a site for SUDS :banghead:

It appears that Wounded Warriors supports several different types of sports programs, the scuba diving seemed to be a one time project, that may or may not happen again. Wounded Warriors is a 501-C3 non profit Corp and their website indicates that 77 cents of every dollar donated goes to benefit the Warriors. However, it does not appear that we can direct the funds to a scuba diving program.

DiveHeart.org has a “Military Wounded” division that is exclusive for military and only focuses on scuba diving. This organization is also a 501-C3 non profit Corp, but I couldn’t find how much of each dollar donated benefits the vets. Their flyer indicates the goals of the division are to assist as many vets as possible, build a network of volunteer buddies to assist vets in their underwater adventures and raise funds. It appears that we could direct the funds to the Military Wounded division. This organization is based in Illinois.

And one that I found – Underwaterwarriors.org This group is dedicated solely to providing scuba diving recreation to injured service men and women. They too are a 501-C3 non profit Corp, but I couldn’t find how much of each dollar donated benefits the vets. There is a map on the website and it appears that they have a presence in many states, although from the website it appears that they are looking for dive masters or instructors (versus buddies) to build the program.

Based on what I’ve read tonight, my “vote” would be for DiveHeart.org Military Wounded division. I think it would be great to be able to give some of our time and skills in the future as well.

Bug
Any time spent in, on, around or underwater adds days to your life.

#108 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:52 AM

I couldn’t find a site for SUDS :thankyou:

Their web site is at: http://www.sudsdiving.org/

Nothing heard from WW as of this moment. Will give them another day to respond and will touch base with SUDS and DH to see if we can get some sort of cooperative action.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#109 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 09:40 AM

Just had an initial contact email with WW. They sound eager to talk and the email has been kicked up to the next level. I forwarded it to the Wench for her info. Will advise.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#110 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,714 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 November 2007 - 11:19 AM

First off thank you Simon for taking the lead with Wounded Warriors. Please see my message to the email you sent me. If you can continue to take the lead on this I would be most appreciative. I think you know my objectives and that of others on the site.

Bug...you rock girl! That was great research and I am very appreciative of the time you took to look at those things. I agree that doing something scuba related is best and it should be our soldiers! Please look at the SUDS link that Simon gave and you can talk to one of the founders John Thompson whom we dive with in NC. This program is a bit younger so may not be the perfect program to support at this time but certainly worthy. John works at Walter Reed and is one of the scuba instructors himself. 100% of the funds go directly to soldiers. They want to work with us to be buddies for wounded warriors who get certified and want to keep diving.

I think it is a great idea and want to work with anyone who feels the same way....that SingleDivers.com with its diverse and civic minded members would be excellent diving buddies for our wounded soldiers. We may need to take some special training to be dive buddies for them but many of us have already taken that training and or would gladly do so to help out!

Whatever we do here will expand to the rest of the site...I'm just thrilled we are working on such a worthy project! :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#111 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:44 AM

Please note there is now less than 48 hours remaining in the bidding. It will end at: Nov-30-2007 23:59:59 Pacific Time... Any bids received after this time will not be counted.

:birthday: for all the support that has been shown so far. :birthday:

#112 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 06:00 PM

Well, the competition was fierce and the total went much higher than anyone could have ever predicted. She placed a total of 5 bids including the first and even more important last bid. So the bidding has closed and through guile, pluck and gumchen the winner is:

(Pause for dramatic effect)

Posted Image

Barb aka DiverBabs...

An international team of volunteers has sprung into action scrounging up all the needed materials for the Dream Dive. Stay tuned for more information and maybe even pictures later.

Thanks go out to all the bidders:

Kamala aka Wreck Wench
Beth aka Beth
Sheena aka weescot
Cindi aka ScubaGoddess
Sylvia aka catfish
Nancy aka H20Bug

...and of course special thanks go out to ScubaTex for doubling the winning bid! :cheerleader:

We will be in touch once we work out how we are going to apply the donations in the best way possible. $3,175.00 total... :D

Your friendly neighbourhood Shadragon...

#113 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 02 December 2007 - 07:31 PM

An international team of volunteers has sprung into action scrounging up all the needed materials for the Dream Dive. Stay tuned for more information and maybe even pictures later.

Thanks go out to all the bidders:

Kamala aka Wreck Wench
Beth aka Beth
Sheena aka weescot
Cindi aka ScubaGoddess
Sylvia aka catfish
Nancy aka H20Bug

...and of course special thanks go out to ScubaTex for doubling the winning bid! :twist:

:clapping: :iagree: :clapping:

:D :cheerleader: Can't wait to hear the details on the "Dream Dive"!!! :birthday: :birthday:

:D
Babs
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#114 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 03 December 2007 - 05:55 AM

:angel2: :ninja: Can't wait to hear the details on the "Dream Dive"!!! :dance: :P

Ahhh, well... If you were diving with anyone else the details would be well advertised. However, as this IS a Dream Dive the details will be elusive. They will creep up on you slowly through the underbrush. You will see them from the side of your vision, then they will vanish when you try to see them. When will it be? What will happen? Where are we going? You simply won't know... Like a panther in the night it will approach unseen...

:P

#115 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:05 PM

Now, THAT scares me!! :cheerleader:
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#116 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:22 PM

But you're the one in the Dream Barb

or is it a nightmare
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#117 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 10:20 AM

Just so everyone does not think I have dropped the ball, I have been talking to a few members of the various organizations that were suggested. The Diveheart organization seems to be the most enthusiastic and I am talking to several of their members not only setting up something for Bonaire, but long term plans as well.

We are looking for someone to work with in the long term and not just someone to write a one time check too. However, it is Christmas and folks have different priorities at this time of the year. Updates will follow as soon as I have further info. I will open a new discussion thread when I get solid leads.

#118 H20 Bug

H20 Bug

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 195 posts
  • Cert Level:DiveControlSpecial Cert
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 23 December 2007 - 04:33 PM

Just so everyone does not think I have dropped the ball, I have been talking to a few members of the various organizations that were suggested. The Diveheart organization seems to be the most enthusiastic and I am talking to several of their members not only setting up something for Bonaire, but long term plans as well.

We are looking for someone to work with in the long term and not just someone to write a one time check too. However, it is Christmas and folks have different priorities at this time of the year. Updates will follow as soon as I have further info. I will open a new discussion thread when I get solid leads.

Simon, thanks for the update. Since we need to know the name of the organization to write the check, is the plan to finzlize this after the Bahamas trip?
Any time spent in, on, around or underwater adds days to your life.

#119 cat fish

cat fish

"Atocha Queen"

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,355 posts
  • Board Status:online
  • Cert Level:15+ years diving. Rec -Tek-Cavern
  • Logged Dives:450+

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:43 PM

Just a note to let you know I'm pretty exhausted..... I've been busy trying to make a kilt built for a 125 lb woman fit a guy who looks like, well this:
shadragon.jpg

By the way... for the Winning Lady... I do believe I have some matching attire for you as well!

See you folks soon!!

p.s. Please remember that 100% virgin wool shrinks quickly when it gets wet. Get yer cameras ready!!
(I do believe the kilt will be the only virgin on the boat....)

#120 ScubaTex

ScubaTex

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 850 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:720+

Posted 23 December 2007 - 09:56 PM

Just a note to let you know I'm pretty exhausted..... I've been busy trying to make a kilt built for a 125 lb woman fit a guy who looks like, well this:
shadragon.jpg

By the way... for the Winning Lady... I do believe I have some matching attire for you as well!

See you folks soon!!

p.s. Please remember that 100% virgin wool shrinks quickly when it gets wet. Get yer cameras ready!!
(I do believe the kilt will be the only virgin on the boat....)

I don't know if you have time to get it shipped, but here's a source

http://www.sportkilt.com/

I got my Speedos packed

Bill

Time on earth is precious, time underwater even more so. Live life one day at a time. Dive your @$$ off!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users