• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Puerto Rico 2008 for APRIL 2008....Trip is a GO!!!

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#61 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

I am watching this trip also. April has no special "training" at work to keep me from going. I will just have to watch the dates chosen and see if I have the vacation time to cover it. Some of it will depend on the length of the trip.
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

#62 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 21 January 2008 - 03:38 PM

Important Options:

Our vendor of choice typically offers a 5 day pkg. We can do the normal 5 day pkg or we can do 6 days or 7 days. - Need your input on this!

This trip can accommodate up to 12 people as it is a boutique type of trip.

It will be a combination of guides shore dives, boat dives, as well as Desecheo and Parguera. So we will truly have a complete 'taste' of Puerto Rico! In other words...everyplace you must dive when you are there...we will be diving! :cool1:

Need input on dates that will not work for people as well as if you want this to be shorter trip or normal week long trip.

Also would like input on extra sightseeing options:

We are looking at doing a day of LAND TOURS on our offgassing day before departure:

Option A: Horseback riding along Beach 9:00 a.m. or 4:00 p.m. $40.00

Two hour guided tours of secluded beachs, tropical trails, cliff caves and more. The trail begins at Shacks Beach, which is famous for its underwater caverns and then winds through almond and pine forests. It then leads you to a spectacular beach call Survival. At this point, guests are given the opportunity to dismount and explore cliff caves or swim in the crystal blue waters. Gentle, spirited, healthy horses that can accommodate beginner, intermediate, and advanced riders. Basic lessons in horseback riding and orientation and rules are given to all guests.

Option B: Old San Juan Tour $ = cost of a two hour ride to San Juan and all the money you can spend shopping. Rental car recommended, however, we can arrange for a tour provided for the full service event. Departing approximately 8:00 a.m and returning 7:30 p.m. (We will most likely have rental cars/vans so this would be easy to facilitate.)

Option C: Cuevas de Camuy (Caverns) $10.00 entrance & Aricebo Observatory (NOT OPEN ON MONDAY/TUESDAYS) $5.00 entrance all in one day, plus transportation. Departing approximately 8:00 a.m and returning 6:30 p.m. This is an all day tour. If we use rental vans to arrive via SJU then transport will be built into the price.

This tour is more about the science of the island. And whether you are a true science buff or simply have the interest in exploring these sites, it is an enjoyable day I have seen discovered by young and old.

The Arecibo Observatory is the world’s largest radio telescope and has been seen on the tv show, The X Files, and the movies, Contact and the James Bond feature GoldenEye. It is hard to describe just how immense this thing is!! The humongous concrete supports rise above the trees and hills likes giants. You see nothing at first, and then as we approach on the road, which can be as much a part of the experience as the observatory itself, the arms come into view. Guests always gasp in awe at first glance.
After parking the car, the hike begins! Not quite the hiking I do in El Yunque, it is still quite a hike nonetheless. Many steps take you up up up to the entrance. Inside guests find themselves surrounded by a science fair of sorts. There are interactive displays of what the observatory does, why it exists, and all sorts of other science-type displays.

Some guests truly get into every detail at Arecibo and want to read every single line of every single display. Others, however, go directly out the back of the visitors center onto the deck of the observation platform. Guests step outside and find themselves over acres and acres of science truly at work. I can’t even describe the scope and size of this thing! The ‘eye’ which rotates above to collect data is six stories alone. The dish, which sits in a giant sinkhole, is made up of 38,000 4x6 foot panels. Even pictures don’t even do it justice, but unfortunately, that is all I have for this website.

The Cuevas de Camuy (Camuy Caves) are a beautiful system of caves which exist in the limestone hills about an 1 1/2 west of San Juan. It boasts the world’s 3rd largest underground river system. Guided tours are given thru the caves, as they are run by the Puerto Rico park system. After the tour thru the caves, a tram takes guests to a sinkhole so vast that the El Morro Castle in Old San Juan would fit inside. The cave system is a geologists dream. Yet, for the more ordinary such as myself, it is a fascinating site to be taken in while on the island.

Option D: FISHING CHARTER Prices are $125 per person min of 4 max of 6 for the half day plus transportation to dock. (Or if only two want to go it is $250 each to rent the whole boat.)
Morning half day charters leave at 8am and return at 12pm Afternoon half day charters leave at 1pm and return by 5pm. All excursions depart from Parguera 45+ minutes from Aguadilla

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#63 pir8

pir8

Dive Pros Forum Admin

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,670 posts
  • Cert Level:MI
  • Logged Dives:Lost Track of um

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:13 PM

Option C: Cuevas de Camuy (Caverns) $10.00 entrance & Aricebo Observatory (NOT OPEN ON MONDAY/TUESDAYS) $5.00 entrance all in one day, plus transportation. Departing approximately 8:00 a.m and returning 6:30 p.m. This is an all day tour. If we use rental vans to arrive via SJU then transport will be built into the price.

This tour is more about the science of the island. And whether you are a true science buff or simply have the interest in exploring these sites, it is an enjoyable day I have seen discovered by young and old.

The Arecibo Observatory is the world’s largest radio telescope and has been seen on the tv show, The X Files, and the movies, Contact and the James Bond feature GoldenEye. It is hard to describe just how immense this thing is!! The humongous concrete supports rise above the trees and hills likes giants. You see nothing at first, and then as we approach on the road, which can be as much a part of the experience as the observatory itself, the arms come into view. Guests always gasp in awe at first glance.
After parking the car, the hike begins! Not quite the hiking I do in El Yunque, it is still quite a hike nonetheless. Many steps take you up up up to the entrance. Inside guests find themselves surrounded by a science fair of sorts. There are interactive displays of what the observatory does, why it exists, and all sorts of other science-type displays.

Some guests truly get into every detail at Arecibo and want to read every single line of every single display. Others, however, go directly out the back of the visitors center onto the deck of the observation platform. Guests step outside and find themselves over acres and acres of science truly at work. I can’t even describe the scope and size of this thing! The ‘eye’ which rotates above to collect data is six stories alone. The dish, which sits in a giant sinkhole, is made up of 38,000 4x6 foot panels. Even pictures don’t even do it justice, but unfortunately, that is all I have for this website.

The Cuevas de Camuy (Camuy Caves) are a beautiful system of caves which exist in the limestone hills about an 1 1/2 west of San Juan. It boasts the world’s 3rd largest underground river system. Guided tours are given thru the caves, as they are run by the Puerto Rico park system. After the tour thru the caves, a tram takes guests to a sinkhole so vast that the El Morro Castle in Old San Juan would fit inside. The cave system is a geologists dream. Yet, for the more ordinary such as myself, it is a fascinating site to be taken in while on the island.

This sounds neat.
Never say Never! Its almost as long a time as always!

#64 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 January 2008 - 04:46 PM

To everyone that is interested in this trip Im trying to help the wench with the schedule and plan but need some info to help.

Where are you flying in from(or major nearby airport), what is your airline/alliance of preference. Then finally are you willing to do overnight flights and/or late night early arrival flights.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#65 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 21 January 2008 - 05:09 PM

To everyone that is interested in this trip Im trying to help the wench with the schedule and plan but need some info to help.

Where are you flying in from(or major nearby airport), what is your airline/alliance of preference. Then finally are you willing to do overnight flights and/or late night early arrival flights.

I can't commit to trip, but interested. From Boston what ever is cheapest--SJU or BQN works equally well. Jet Blue BOS-JFK-BQN overnight worked very well for me last time to PR. Althougt I travel mostly into PR on American Airlines. For my dive calander late APR/MAY last week looks good. But again just interested. I hope to do 2 or 3 trips this year w/ SD.com, BTW on a trip like this I may op-in for a rental car.
Stan
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#66 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:12 PM

What airport do we fly into for this trip? Airport code???
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#67 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 21 January 2008 - 06:19 PM

It will depend but it will either be SJU which most major airlines fly into or BQN Continental, Jet blue and spirit fly into.

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#68 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 21 January 2008 - 09:29 PM

It will depend but it will either be SJU which most major airlines fly into or BQN Continental, Jet blue and spirit fly into.

For those who do not know...Dan aka ScubaTooth did an internship for DAN (Divers Alert Network) in PR. He has become quite a subject matter expert. My question to him was if opted for SJU since in most cases it will be less for airfare...we need to identify a 3-4 hour arrival timeframe for people to land so that we can arrange rental vans/cars. Of course we also need to time this wil traffic issues in San Juan...hence my asking Dan for help.

I wasn't expecting him to solitcit via the thread but that is ok too. If you think you might be interested then let us know possible cities and timeframes you can travel. The original dates we wanted may not be available so we may have more flexibility. Having input helps! :cool1:

p.s. I also hope he will weigh in on some of the sightseeing options since he has done most if not all of them! I do know that if we do the tour of the city it will include a stop at the Rum Factory! :cheerleader:

Note: If you fly into BQN I believe that most of the hotels offer free shuttle to the airport so that might give you more flexibilty. Not sure...

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#69 CvilleBill

CvilleBill

Getting started

• Pip
  • 45 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:111

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:02 PM

I vote for a longer (7 days or more) trip to maximize diving, option C for topside touroid activities. Very flexible on dates. Either SJU or BQN works. Hotel shuttles to BQN would be a definite plus, and cut down on the travel time, although a little longer drive w/seeing a little more of PR wouldn't be bad either. I'd probably fly from 1 of the 3 DC airports (IAD, DCA, BWI), possibly Richmond, VA (RIC). If memory serves, JetBlue times in/out of BQN are kinda funky, but Spirit might be an option.
So many islands, so little time...

#70 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:31 PM

I vote for a longer (7 days or more) trip to maximize diving, option C for topside touroid activities. Very flexible on dates. Either SJU or BQN works. Hotel shuttles to BQN would be a definite plus, and cut down on the travel time, although a little longer drive w/seeing a little more of PR wouldn't be bad either. I'd probably fly from 1 of the 3 DC airports (IAD, DCA, BWI), possibly Richmond, VA (RIC). If memory serves, JetBlue times in/out of BQN are kinda funky, but Spirit might be an option.

Thank you! That works perfectly!

We may offer both the 5/6 day and 7th day option as we try to offer a variety of trip durations. When air is cheap it is usually easier to offer the slightly shorter option. When air is expensive the week long option is the best.

If we offer a different timeframe...we may some limitations in order to ensure proper transfers and rooming arrangements.

Thank you for the feedback. Anyone else? This helps tremendously! :cheerleader:

formerly...

#71 Fordan

Fordan

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPip
  • 419 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70

Posted 22 January 2008 - 12:56 PM

I'm discussing this trip with a friend I've been trying to set up a dive trip with, so I may be interested if he is.

I'd be leaving from the Philadelphia area, and would probably be taking US Airways into SJU, since it's a) nonstop, and b) I have elite status with them, so a free upgrade is a possibility. I like first class, the bigger seats make me happy. :cheerleader: Alternatively, if there's a huge price differential, I could probably take Spirit from Atlantic City to BQN. According to Google Maps, it's a bit under 2 hours from SJU to BQN if renting a car?

Trip length, generally I'm all about maximum vacation time for minimum work vacation time used. So starting and ending on a weekend works best for me.

And option C does look very cool.

edit: clarify vacation time not time in transit

Edited by Fordan, 22 January 2008 - 05:32 PM.

#72 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:58 PM

OK, Sounds like west coast and SW coast diving to me which is cool. Any hint if we will be hotel based at only 1 location and which city? Just a thougt, If divers come into SJU at different times maybe we can rent a early and late arrival vans and drive west. I like to Minimize travel Time( overnight or early Sat am departures- Boston) and Maximize Vacation Time which for me would be a Sat arrival-Sun departure- 8 nites. As far as offgassing I would like to check out the beaches in San Juan- Coronado area on down day. I've flown over these beaches so many times yet have never hoteled in San Juan. I'm not much for historicall tour, but after a couple of BARCARTI MOJITO's :welcome: you never know??!!\
Ss
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#73 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,709 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:16 PM

Great feedback! This is helping a lot!

Great idea about the possibility of two vans...:welcome:

Another idea...

We could drive to San Juan and get checked into a hotel ther so we can tour the city, relax, shop or whatever. Then we can do the town the night before our flights and depart the next day. Transport back to the airport could be set up via a hotel that offers a free shuttle to the airport or a cheap taxi!

formerly...

#74 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Great feedback! This is helping a lot!

Great idea about the possibility of two vans...:welcome:

Another idea...

We could drive to San Juan and get checked into a hotel ther so we can tour the city, relax, shop or whatever. Then we can do the town the night before our flights and depart the next day. Transport back to the airport could be set up via a hotel that offers a free shuttle to the airport or a cheap taxi!

Sounds good. I'm with LDS early in April so Late Apr/May works best. (repeating myself) Thanks.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#75 ScubaSis

ScubaSis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,753 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:151

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:12 PM

I think the short 5 day trip may be better for me.

I like the idea of Horseback riding on the beach, but option C sounds good too!!

I still can not commit to this trip....I will have to look at the days chosen.
Handle every stresssful situation like a dog.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
Just pee on it and walk away.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users