• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

UTILA...SOLD OUT!!... March 8-15, 2008

• Please log in to reply
615 replies to this topic

#61 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:10 PM

Here is an option from EWR

Total Trip Duration: 8 days / 7 nights

Saturday, March 8, 2008 Leave
Continental Airlines 803 Economy Boeing 737 5hr 0min 1936 miles
Depart: 8:50am
morning Newark, NJ
Newark Liberty Int'l (EWR) Non-stop
Arrive: 12:50pm
afternoon San Pedro Sula, Honduras
San Pedro Sula Ramon Villeda Morales (SAP)
Saturday, March 15, 2008 Return
Continental Airlines 802 Economy Boeing 737 4hr 20min 1936 miles
Depart: 12:45pm
afternoon San Pedro Sula, Honduras
San Pedro Sula Ramon Villeda Morales (SAP) Non-stop
Arrive: 7:05pm
evening Newark, NJ
Newark Liberty Int'l (EWR)

The price is $582 rt and then you would have the $150 rt to Utila but you could make the trip without any over night layovers.

For those of you that have never flown to the Honduran Bay islands one thing that you must remember, your on Honduran time and you have to look at it as an adventure. Don't let the flight delays bother you. I have never in all the times I have flown to Utila, never has the flight out of SAP been on time. So you just expect it, have a beer. the local Salva Vida is quite good. and enjoy the people watching...

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#62 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:17 PM

another thing to consider as far as costs go, once your on Utila you will have virtually no expenses other than a bar bill. Deep Blue is all inclusive with the exception of alchohol. If you do decide to go into town, there really is nothing to spend money on except for drinks at one of the local bars. Which I highly reccomend for the experience. Staying at Deep Blue is about as close to being on a land based liveaboard as you can get. Once your gear is set up, you really don't need to touch it again for the week unless you want to do a shore dive.
Jasmine has all of your meals ready before the morning dive, then when you get back for lunch and at dinner time. It is a very short walk from your rooms to the dining room and the water is about 10 feet from the rooms. The boat dock is a short walk from the main building, you walk through the gardens and down a path to the boat. Takes 3 minutes.
This really is a very cool place.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#63 susiq

susiq

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Board Status:Workin' hard in NYC to fund my next dream trip!
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:355

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:22 PM

another thing to consider as far as costs go, once your on Utila you will have virtually no expenses other than a bar bill. Deep Blue is all inclusive with the exception of alchohol. If you do decide to go into town, there really is nothing to spend money on except for drinks at one of the local bars. Which I highly reccomend for the experience. Staying at Deep Blue is about as close to being on a land based liveaboard as you can get. Once your gear is set up, you really don't need to touch it again for the week unless you want to do a shore dive.
Jasmine has all of your meals ready before the morning dive, then when you get back for lunch and at dinner time. It is a very short walk from your rooms to the dining room and the water is about 10 feet from the rooms. The boat dock is a short walk from the main building, you walk through the gardens and down a path to the boat. Takes 3 minutes.

Jim

Thanks Jim, you've given new impetus to my searching /planning! I'll get on looking for flights ASAP!
s
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever-- Jacques-Yves Cousteau

#64 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:32 PM

Jim

Thanks Jim, you've given new impetus to my searching /planning! I'll get on looking for flights ASAP!
s

Your welcome :-)

Here is another option out of JFK. The times are not the greatest but the price is right and you can still do it without any over nigth layovers.
New York to San Pedro Sula

Flight 1 Saturday, March 08, 2008
Departure: 02:35 New York, USA - John F Kennedy, terminal 4
Arrival: 06:20 San Pedro Sula, Honduras - Ramon Villeda Morales, terminal A

Airline: Taca Intl Airlines TA575 e Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A320-100/200

Operated by another airline
Fare type: Economy Restricted

San Pedro Sula to New York

Flight 1 Saturday, March 15, 2008
Departure: 16:45 San Pedro Sula, Honduras - Ramon Villeda Morales, terminal A
Arrival: 17:35 San Salvador, El Salvador - Comalapa International

Airline: Taca Intl Airlines TA221 e Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A320-100/200

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 1:25

Flight 2 Saturday, March 15, 2008
Departure: 19:00 San Salvador, El Salvador - Comalapa International
Arrival: 01:45 +1 day(s) New York, USA - John F Kennedy, terminal 4

Airline: Taca Intl Airlines TA566 e Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A319

Legend:e = e-ticket option, USD = U.S. Dollar
price

travellers flights taxes
1 adult(s) x (314.00 + 54.70) = 368.70 USD

total for all travellers 368.70 USD

purchase conditions
fare basis information

flight notes

• This fare is bilateraly agreed between TACA and the selected airline(s).
• To ensure that you get this fare, the reservation should be made now.
• Specific rules and restrictions may apply to this fare.
• Taxes are included except where local airport taxes are collected at check-in time.
Sea Turtle advocate!

#65 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / NITROX
  • Logged Dives:1400 plus....

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:40 PM

Hmmm.... now you have me really thinking Jim.

I had it all figured out that I could fly MIA to SAP non-stop, but I would have to overnight in SAP to make my connections to Utila.

I checked out a couple of hotels (including the Intercon) and I can get the room for about $100 a night.

Soo... with MIA/SAP air and SAP/Utila connecting Plus hotel (S/O unless I can find someone else in the same situation) that puts me at about $700 to get there.

I'm ok with that, but you voiced concern about staying in San Pedro..... :flirt:
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#66 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 27 November 2007 - 02:42 PM

Jim

s

Your welcome :-)

Here is another option out of JFK. The times are not the greatest but the price is right and you can still do it without any over nigth layovers.
New York to San Pedro Sula

Flight 1 Saturday, March 08, 2008
Departure: 02:35 New York, USA - John F Kennedy, terminal 4
Arrival: 06:20 San Pedro Sula, Honduras - Ramon Villeda Morales, terminal A

Airline: Taca Intl Airlines TA575 e Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A320-100/200

San Pedro Sula to New York

Flight 1 Saturday, March 15, 2008
Departure: 16:45 San Pedro Sula, Honduras - Ramon Villeda Morales, terminal A
Arrival: 17:35 San Salvador, El Salvador - Comalapa International

Airline: Taca Intl Airlines TA221 e Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A320-100/200

Change of plane required. Time between flights = 1:25

Flight 2 Saturday, March 15, 2008
Departure: 19:00 San Salvador, El Salvador - Comalapa International
Arrival: 01:45 +1 day(s) New York, USA - John F Kennedy, terminal 4

Airline: Taca Intl Airlines TA566 e Aircraft: Airbus Industrie A319

Legend:e = e-ticket option, USD = U.S. Dollar
price

travellers flights taxes
1 adult(s) x (314.00 + 54.70) = 368.70 USD

total for all travellers 368.70 USD

purchase conditions
fare basis information

flight notes

• This fare is bilateraly agreed between TACA and the selected airline(s).
• To ensure that you get this fare, the reservation should be made now.
• Specific rules and restrictions may apply to this fare.
• Taxes are included except where local airport taxes are collected at check-in time.

Wow..that's really cheap. The cheapest from Denver to SAP is $868 on Delta.

#67 scubagoddess

scubagoddess

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 898 posts
  • Cert Level:MAster Daiver / Rescue / Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:104+

Posted 27 November 2007 - 03:42 PM

I need to win the lottery and fast! I want to go on this trip too!!!!! :flirt:
There is not a shred of evidence that life is serious. ~ Ogden Nash

Be yourself, everybody else is already taken. ~ Oscar Wilde

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind! ~ Dr Seuss

#68 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 27 November 2007 - 04:05 PM

I found a flight from Washington Dulles (IAD) to La Ceiba (2 stops) for $394 with TACA
The flight leaves at 4:15 a.m. :flirt: and arrives in La Ceiba at 11:05 a.m.
To keep the costs down I am thinking about taking the ferry from La Ceiba to Utila for $15
The last ferry leaves at 4 p.m.

I will not book anything before I don't know what everybody else plans to do.

#69 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 05:41 PM

I had it all figured out that I could fly MIA to SAP non-stop, but I would have to overnight in SAP to make my connections to Utila.

I checked out a couple of hotels (including the Intercon) and I can get the room for about $100 a night.

Soo... with MIA/SAP air and SAP/Utila connecting Plus hotel (S/O unless I can find someone else in the same situation) that puts me at about $700 to get there.

I'm ok with that, but you voiced concern about staying in San Pedro..... :flirt:

If you are going to overnight in San Pedro, what you need to do is book a reputable hotel that has a restraunt in it and that hopefully has a shuttle. When you get to the hotel, you stay there. I would not reccomend going out and about to find a restraunt. There are cabs at the airport as well but you need to find out what the fee is prior to getting in the cab and if you are not comfortable with the exchange rate, make sure that you get the fare in US $ I don't want to make travel to Honduras sound scary. I love the country, it's just that San Pedro and La Ceiba are not cities that a woman should be out and about by her self in. Make sure that the hotel that you are staying in is a chain hotel that you are familiar with and you will be fine.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#70 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:01 PM

If you are going to overnight in San Pedro, what you need to do is book a reputable hotel that has a restraunt in it and that hopefully has a shuttle. When you get to the hotel, you stay there. I would not reccomend going out and about to find a restraunt. There are cabs at the airport as well but you need to find out what the fee is prior to getting in the cab and if you are not comfortable with the exchange rate, make sure that you get the fare in US $ I don't want to make travel to Honduras sound scary. I love the country, it's just that San Pedro and La Ceiba are not cities that a woman should be out and about by her self in. Make sure that the hotel that you are staying in is a chain hotel that you are familiar with and you will be fine.

Jim

Ok, thanks. I was looking at the Intercontinental Hotel for that reason. It does have shuttle service and they are generally fairly high end hotels. Traveladvisor folks also gave it some kudos.

Thanks for all the input. That might just make this a trip that I can do. :cool1:
"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give." Sir Winston Churchill (1874 – 1965)

"Those who love deeply never grow old; they may die of old age, but they die young." - Dorothy Canfield Fisher

#71 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:04 PM

I'm ok with that, but you voiced concern about staying in San Pedro..... :cool1:

Here is another option for flying out of MIA
$ 311.12 Total price all taxes included.
Paper ticket only.
Leave

Sat, MAR 08 Taca Airlines TA-391 (Duration 04Hs 35Mn)
Departs: 1:40 PM MIA, Miami, FL
Arrives: 3:05 PM SAP, San Pedro Sula, Honduras on Sat, MAR 08
Stop(s):0 | Cabin: Coach/Economy

Connect

Sat, MAR 08 Taca Airlines TA-150
Departs: 4:40 PM SAP, San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Arrives: 5:15 PM LCE, La Ceiba, HN on Sat, MAR 08

Return

Sat, MAR 15 Taca Airlines TA-151 (Duration 04Hs 35Mn)
Departs: 09:10 AM LCE, La Ceiba, HN
Arrives: 09:45 AM SAP, San Pedro Sula, Honduras on Sat, MAR 15

Connect

Sat, MAR 15 Taca Airlines TA-390
Departs: 11:30 AM SAP, San Pedro Sula, Honduras
Arrives: 3:45 PM MIA, Miami, FL on Sat, MAR 15

This flight is pretty cheap, it gets you into La Ceiba a little after 5pm but I think you could get a charter over to Utila still at that time. We would have to ask Shirley at Deep Blue about the charter.
This way you would not have to lay over. I think the Charter for the small plane is $140 so even at that your flights would be about $450 total. Then on your return trip if you wanted you could take the ferry over to La Ceiba for $15 or take the Atlantic flight one way for about $40. Still a pretty good deal.

Jim
Sea Turtle advocate!

#72 DivingDeb

DivingDeb

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox AOW
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:28 PM

I'm ok with that, but you voiced concern about staying in San Pedro..... :cool1:

I am very interested in this trip & also would fly out of MIA or FLL. I have always wanted to go to Utila.The trip price is very reasonable, but trying to get there is the issue for me. Spirit has flights to SAP but the new times & days aren't that great. Fares aren't so bad from MIA to Sap but to Utila.... traveling a day ahead & the ferry could be an option. Waiting to see what Kamala finds out.
I stayed in San Pedro Sula as a single traveler 20yrs ago & except for guns drawn as I took a taxi towards the Guatemala border felt safe in SAP. I guess times have changed

#73 DiverBabs

DiverBabs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 27 November 2007 - 06:46 PM

** deleted content to shorten post...*

This flight is pretty cheap, it gets you into La Ceiba a little after 5pm but I think you could get a charter over to Utila still at that time. We would have to ask Shirley at Deep Blue about the charter.
This way you would not have to lay over. I think the Charter for the small plane is $140 so even at that your flights would be about $450 total. Then on your return trip if you wanted you could take the ferry over to La Ceiba for $15 or take the Atlantic flight one way for about $40. Still a pretty good deal.

Jim

Thanks Jim. If that is possible with the charter I think that would be the ticket. I'd much rather do that then lay over a day on each end.

:cool1: for all the info. I'd really like to make this one so I'm going to try to make it work.

#74 divingwahine

divingwahine

Getting started

• Premier Member
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 27 November 2007 - 07:23 PM

I went to Utila a few years back (maybe 2-3 years). My flight from Miami was delayed, so I had to overnight in San Pedro Sula. American put me up at El Copantl and it was a nice hotel with a restaurant inside. As a single woman, I didn't feel scared at all, but I certainly wouldn't have ventured outside the hotel. On the way back, I had a long layover, so I booked a day rate at the Microtel near the airport. Again, it was perfectly fine although the room was a bit small. As I remember, there was a restaurant attached - looked like a sort of Dennys. Again, as a single woman, I felt perfectly safe. Hope my input helps.

#75 a_fl_mermaid

a_fl_mermaid

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Cert Level:OW. AOW, Nitrox, Night diver, underw. hunter, equip spec.
  • Logged Dives:too many to count, but recently only a few in 2007, some in the Florida keys and 4 days in Utila.

Posted 28 November 2007 - 06:29 PM

I'm ok with that, but you voiced concern about staying in San Pedro..... :thankyou:

Hi a_fl_mermaid here!
A friend of mine owns the "cinema" on Utila. We stay in SAP at a much less expensive hotel than $100.00 if you're interested I'll send you the name of it. It's not as classy as some hotels but if your on a budget is is clean. My friend usually rents a car, drives to la Ceiba and takes the ferry to Utila for 300 limpira.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users